Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 03:49 PM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times

Advertisements

Schools should provide education and as part of the education process prepare the students for eventual drug testing which they will have to undergo in order to get a job.

Do the least expensive procedure. Guess dogs would be cheapest. Make the students who test positive pay for the test or a box of dog treats for the dog. Do not exclude teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 04:21 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am shocked at some of the responses in favor of this. Although i probably shouldnt be with the way a lot of people think these days

What's wrong with the responses in favor? There are jobs a plenty where drug testing is normal.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:22 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Random? I doubt it. I don't doubt that some kids who aren't liked by faculty members will happen to randomly get tested every time there's a sweep.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,719 times
The reality of the situation is that 2 dogs hired by a private company came into the school. A private security company is not required to report to the police. The school did their best to respect the student's rights. The dogs only checked lockers and were not allowed near students, who were in classrooms. Before people start putting down a school and a community that they know nothing about, they should know all of the facts and not pass judgement. A school is supposed to be a supportive environment where students can learn. Learning is interruped when students deal drugs in school or come to school high. The school was doing what was in the best interest of its students. Millburn High School is a very serious place that sets high expectations for its student who work very hard. Students have a right to learn in a drug-free environment. This happens in schools across the counrty every day. Except that the county Sheriff's department usually brings in lots of dogs and arrests are made. In my opinion, Millburn has treated the situation very delicately in comparison to other schools.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
What's wrong with the responses in favor? There are jobs a plenty where drug testing is normal.
You do not have to take one of those jobs. The school is an arm of the government which is taking bodily fluid from people who have presumably done nothing.

I object to the drug dogs on the grounds of the expense something like that entails, but I wouldn't do anything if I heard about it. Drug testing, though? Absolutely outrageous.

Old 04-03-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kick2 View Post
The reality of the situation is that 2 dogs hired by a private company came into the school. A private security company is not required to report to the police. The school did their best to respect the student's rights. The dogs only checked lockers and were not allowed near students, who were in classrooms. Before people start putting down a school and a community that they know nothing about, they should know all of the facts and not pass judgement. A school is supposed to be a supportive environment where students can learn. Learning is interruped when students deal drugs in school or come to school high. The school was doing what was in the best interest of its students. Millburn High School is a very serious place that sets high expectations for its student who work very hard. Students have a right to learn in a drug-free environment. This happens in schools across the counrty every day. Except that the county Sheriff's department usually brings in lots of dogs and arrests are made. In my opinion, Millburn has treated the situation very delicately in comparison to other schools.
Of course, but no right to actual physical personal privacy.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:11 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
Of course, but no right to actual physical personal privacy.
Lockers are still property of the school!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
He is talking about randomly drug testing students....

Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
I meant bodily privacy.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:01 PM

315 posts, read 1,091,645 times
i've had plenty of interaction with millburn highschool girls in my job. (cosmetics at short hills mall) and they even say how out of hand drugs are in their school. these kids are already too grown up for their own good. i agree that by doing the drug testing and having the dogs, it will alleviate the need for kids to succumb to peer pressure. the kids in that school have a lot of disposable income, too many parents giving their kids money and not time, and if there is a way to deter them from spending it on drugs, i say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey