Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 01:52 PM

16 posts, read 31,566 times

Advertisements

Probably asked and answered a million times at this point, but I will soon be taking a job in downtown NY (financial district). The goal for me is to have easy access to the PATH. I don't mind driving to the Harrison station or something, but I'd like to keep my commute at about an hour if possible. I have two kids, with another one on the way, so my concern is more about having parks and low crime with reasonable schools. I am not looking for the best school districts because when they get to middle school age I'll probably move, but we're a while away from that!

Any ideas are appreciated... I don't think I'll be in the downtown area my entire career (planning on two years and then moving up and out) so the ideal location would let me get into midtown easily as well, if needed.

I'm not rich, this would be my first house, but since I'll have three kids it needs to have a good size to it, so if you have any ideas I'm open to all of them. My concern is more the commute than anything else, because I want to be able to get home and help my wife with the kids. Two is hard, three will be a handful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 04:08 PM

390 posts, read 1,364,025 times
Hi and welcome!

Answer these questions first so we can help you narrow down your search a bit! Many of the NJ Transit lines go direct to Hoboken, so you have a lot of options.

*Read this list so you are aware of what should be included if you are moving from out of area and coming to New Jersey.

Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?

Will you buy or rent?
What is your budget ?
What kind of place are you looking for ?

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Do you need/want good public schools?

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Thanks to elflord1973 for compiling this list.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 PM

16 posts, read 31,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Hi and welcome!

Answer these questions first so we can help you narrow down your search a bit! Many of the NJ Transit lines go direct to Hoboken, so you have a lot of options.

*Read this list so you are aware of what should be included if you are moving from out of area and coming to New Jersey.

Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?

Will you buy or rent?
What is your budget ?
What kind of place are you looking for ?

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Do you need/want good public schools?

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Thanks to elflord1973 for compiling this list.
Moving from Basking Ridge, NJ -- we currently rent there, and couldnt afford to buy if I wanted to! Need to move because that area is very hard to get into the city, very inconvenient because I have to drive a lot, as well as take the train, plus parking. We currently live in a condo association that we love, the only problem is that our condo is very small for our growing family (2 toddlers, plus one on the way in April). Ideally I'd like a four bedroom house, with a finished basement or extra room for an office (important for work). just so I don't have to move that quickly again. Looking to buy, ideally something less than $400k with reasonable taxes. Schools don't have to be the best, but definitely don't want bad schools. Basking Ridge is known for the school district, but that's why housing is so expensive

We are looking for an area that has lots of young families and kids, so my wife can meet people at the playground and do her playdates, as she's done where we live now. The kids love parks and things, so that's what we need closeby. Walking distance to that kind of stuff is ideal. Our priorities would be family oriented, good commuting distance to NYC, and a 24/7 grocery store and pharmacy in reasonable distance. Groceries (non-24 hour) should be no more than 5 minutes away. I don't care about "nightlife" at all, but we are big on covenience, especially with two kids in tow. We don't have any pets aside from a fish, and I intend to keep it that way for the foreseeable future. Sorry, not a pet lover

I'll be working downtown (Water Street) in NYC. I don't imagine I'll stay there more than two years, but I do think I'll be in NYC for a long while, so something that can after two years redirect me into midtown would be nice... I figure something that gets me into Newark or on the PATH, I can take either into midtown.

Hope that's helpful, and I'm open for all kinds of ideas. Thanks!

Old 10-21-2011, 04:59 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Maybe start with Rutherford or Woodbridge.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:04 AM

390 posts, read 1,364,025 times
I'd add Fair Lawn to the Rutherford list as well. Both are serviced by the Bergen Train line that goes directly to Hoboken. Rutherford is closer, Fair Lawn should be slightly cheaper. Both have good school systems.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:16 AM

88,224 posts, read 84,144,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
I'd add Fair Lawn to the Rutherford list as well. Both are serviced by the Bergen Train line that goes directly to Hoboken. Rutherford is closer, Fair Lawn should be slightly cheaper. Both have good school systems.
I agree with adding Fair Lawn. Good-size town with everything close by, lots of trains.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:36 AM

683 posts, read 460,595 times
Ditto on Rutherford, pehaps Lyndhurst or North Arlington as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey