Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM

244 posts, read 597,902 times

Advertisements

I have a general question about foreclosures because I am not too familiar. If a house is listed as a foreclosure and the bank owns it and is looking to get rid of it, how likely are they to accept a much lower price.

For example if a house was purchased in 1997 for $300K and the ower was trying to sell it a little over $500K before it went into foreclosure, would the bank take a lower offer assuming a a portion of the $300K loan has been paid over the past almost 15 years.

I know every case is different and there are alot of factors that go into a banks decision..just looking for some general info on people who have had dealt with foreclosures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Depends on the bank. When times were good, the banks would try to sell as close to market value as they could rather than trying to just cover the outstanding mortgage amount, as they used the excess to offset losses elsewhere. With so many foreclosures now, some banks are just looking to dump properties for what is owed on them, while others are still trying to get as much as they can so they can offset losses.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,979,002 times
Purchase price in 1997 is meaningless. They could have refinanced and leveraged it to a much higher amount based on circa 2006 values. Seek guidance from your real estate agent. If they aren't very familiar with short sales, you need to change agents.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:46 PM

777 posts, read 2,380,229 times
Like you said, depends on the bank. Nationally, foreclosures sell at about 60% of market value, short sales sell about 20%. In New Jersey, I would probably say its closer to 80% for foreclosures, and 10% for short sales.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:19 PM

3,516 posts, read 7,781,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Depends on the bank. When times were good, the banks would try to sell as close to market value as they could rather than trying to just cover the outstanding mortgage amount, as they used the excess to offset losses elsewhere. ...
Actually I believe if the bank sells the house for more than what is owed minus legal fees, the original owner gets the difference. So say you buy a house for 200k, you pay off 150k over the life of the mortgage, but lose you job and can't pay off the 50K remaining. The bank forecloses, sells the property at 120k, pays off the original mortgage note and say 30k in legal fees, that leaves 40k coming back to you.

Of course the bank is going to try and charge you top dollar for every staple and paper clip they used in the foreclose process, so i wouldn't except whole hell of a lot left over even if the house does sell for more than the outstanding mortgage note.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:52 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
Actually I believe if the bank sells the house for more than what is owed minus legal fees, the original owner gets the difference.
This is only true if it's sold at auction. If it becomes an REO the bank keeps any amount above the mortgage amount, but if they sell for less than the mortgage amount they get to go after the original owner for the deficiency. Nice, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey