U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 PM

8 posts, read 35,172 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are currently building a new house in Central Jersey, and we wanted some advice on which upgrades to take from the builder. In specific, we wanted advice on how much these items would cost outside of the builder, and how hard it would be to install these items post completion of the house. Please note that all costs include the product and installation.

Central Vacuum - $2,900
Garbage Disposal - $360
Laundry Room Sink - $550
Whole House Attic Fan - $660

Thanks for your help and advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM

3,870 posts, read 4,261,554 times
Central Vacuum -- I passed on this option, I'm not convinced that these systems are hygenic.

Garbage Disposal -- I passed on this as well, it's so 1970's.

Laundry Room Sink -- a great thing to have, but should be much cheaper than that (I paid $225).

Whole House Attic Fan -- if the standard install includes ridge venting, then this is superfluous.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM

95 posts, read 498,214 times
I can't speak as to cost, but I have a garbage disposal in my kitchen and I can tell you my family uses it daily. Instead of throwing leftover food in the trash where it will stink, you grind it up down your sink in about 5 seconds. Very useful.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM

516 posts, read 1,862,782 times
Here's my rank of importance:

Laundry Tub - A Must!!!
Garbage Disposal
Central Vac
Attic Fan (this moves up to number 3 if you don't have a separate zone for air conditioning ....if you have a second floor)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 PM

329 posts, read 1,467,456 times
congratulations!!!I will not go with central vacuum but chose the other three.Also i don't think you can go with attic if the home is a spec home. You need approvals before you can install them. On new homes you could.Laundry sink should be 300 or less if you do it yourself, I think -- do check with others.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 AM

7,577 posts, read 21,381,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdrizzle View Post
Hi All,

We are currently building a new house in Central Jersey, and we wanted some advice on which upgrades to take from the builder. In specific, we wanted advice on how much these items would cost outside of the builder, and how hard it would be to install these items post completion of the house. Please note that all costs include the product and installation.

Central Vacuum - $2,900
Garbage Disposal - $360
Laundry Room Sink - $550

Central Vac is a good option but do you really need it?
Garbage disposal? That's what cans are for : )
Laundry Room sink - the sink is only $145.00 and most of the plumbing will be there already... I'd give that a miss. Easy DIY install down the road.
Whole house attic fan.... will you have central A/C installed? If so, not worth it.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:43 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,100,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdrizzle View Post
Hi All,

Central Vacuum - $2,900
Garbage Disposal - $360
Laundry Room Sink - $550

The general rule of thumb is only 'buy' options that have to do with foundations and systems. Disposal and sink are going to require plumbing, probably worth doing IMO even if you pay a bit extra. Central vac is a waste of of money, as is a whole house fan. But I would still get an attic fan installed after moving in. Most cosmetic items and small items can be installed for less or even done yourself. These days lots of options are being thrown in, like granite countertops, etc.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM

12,284 posts, read 33,715,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
The general rule of thumb is only 'buy' options that have to do with foundations and systems. Disposal and sink are going to require plumbing, probably worth doing IMO even if you pay a bit extra. Central vac is a waste of of money, as is a whole house fan. But I would still get an attic fan installed after moving in. Most cosmetic items and small items can be installed for less or even done yourself. These days lots of options are being thrown in, like granite countertops, etc.
I agree with this.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:47 AM

3,870 posts, read 4,261,554 times
granite is so yesterday, go with silestone or marble

Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM

353 posts, read 960,745 times
IF you want these, then my advice is...

1. Take the Central Vac now. Regardless of cost it is much more difficult to install once the sheet rock is done.

2. Garbage Disposal - I find this useful. Another option is to have them install the electric line for the unit (the tough part) and then buy/install yourself. BTW... go for the higher horsepower. A bit more money, but it works much better then the lower HP.

3. Laundry Room Sink - not enough experience to comment about price, but it may be worth it to do the rough plumbing and do the sink yourself.

4. Attic Fan - Not enough experience with this. Just compare prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey