Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:12 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times

Advertisements

Bill,

I posted something to the effect of "sorry the deal didn't work out, but enjoy having that big stash of cash around for a little while longer" in the assumption (which I'm sure is correct) that xmonger is smart enough to keep his down payment savings in an FDIC-insured bank account.

Then someone made some comment about the paltry interest rate on on those FDIC-insured accounts.

To which I responded something along the lines of "yeah, it's better than losing 1% per month which is what real estate is doing" and then made passing reference to what I thought was obvious and beyond dispute: the stock market is down about 50% from its peak, and had xmonger been saving his money in there, he would have lost half its value.

So my point was simply that: xmonger can and should enjoy having his big down payment stash in safe, secure investments that are not at risk of losing money before he needs to use it. The interest rates may be paltry right now, but it's better than any of the alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 05:58 PM

268 posts, read 761,379 times

Xmonger keep holding out!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Um, I think it's safe to say that xmonger's down payment stash is better off sitting in FDIC insured bank accounts. I'm surprised I even need to argue this point.

Had he been a moron (which he is not) and kept his fat cash stash in the stock market, he'd be down roughly 50% from October 2007.

What is your point?

I have to agree with you. I see so many here losing money by the day, and with long faces.. Mine is all in FDIC insured bank accoints.
I guess I'm just conservative as 401k is also in secure accounts.

Diane G

Old 04-09-2009, 06:22 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Bill,

I posted something to the effect of "sorry the deal didn't work out, but enjoy having that big stash of cash around for a little while longer" in the assumption (which I'm sure is correct) that xmonger is smart enough to keep his down payment savings in an FDIC-insured bank account.

Then someone made some comment about the paltry interest rate on on those FDIC-insured accounts.

To which I responded something along the lines of "yeah, it's better than losing 1% per month which is what real estate is doing" and then made passing reference to what I thought was obvious and beyond dispute: the stock market is down about 50% from its peak, and had xmonger been saving his money in there, he would have lost half its value.

So my point was simply that: xmonger can and should enjoy having his big down payment stash in safe, secure investments that are not at risk of losing money before he needs to use it. The interest rates may be paltry right now, but it's better than any of the alternatives.
Thanks for clearing that up.

And yeah, if I were waiting for the right house to come on the market, and was planning to buy when it did, I'd have my down payment is something ridiculously safe, even if that meant I was gaining no interest at all. While the market has indeed been up recently, (another 250 today!) I would not recommend it as a place to stash really short term money that I needed to preserve.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I have to agree with you. I see so many here losing money by the day, and with long faces.. Mine is all in FDIC insured bank accoints.
I guess I'm just conservative as 401k is also in secure accounts.

Diane G
Yeah. What I cannot fathom are the stories of 62 year olds, just a few years away from retirement, who had 100% of their retirement savings invested in the stock market.

That's greed, willful ignorance, or both. Anyone with a functioning brain that works well enough to save money for retirement and invest it in the stock market could have done 5 minutes of research on the internet and learned that as you approach retirement age the bulk of retirement savings should shift toward fixed income investments.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:01 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Yeah. What I cannot fathom are the stories of 62 year olds, just a few years away from retirement, who had 100% of their retirement savings invested in the stock market.

That's greed, willful ignorance, or both.
or a VERY slick/convincing broker !

Quote:
as you approach retirement age the bulk of retirement savings should shift toward fixed income investments.
we're diametrically opposed in our viewpoints on NJ RE, but on this I agree with you 1000%

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
or a VERY slick/convincing broker!
Nah. Anyone who abdicates responsibility for his own retirement savings to a broker falls into the "greedy" camp, those who think that by finding the "right guy" they can beat out everyone else.

I can count on my left kneecap the number of times I've read about a broker who has actually bought stocks for a client without the client's permission or the authority invested in him by the client.

What's that they say about a fool and his money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey