Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:55 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times

Advertisements

How Asian do you want it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 11:10 PM

43 posts, read 164,414 times
I've seen all the statistics already. What I'm having trouble w/is that it seems inconsistent to what certain students say. For instance, Watchung Regional HS states it has 13% asians. However, a student who attends that schoool complains about how "non-diverse" it is. Same w/the Green Brook school district. Statistically it has 25% asians in the elementary school. but a student reports otherwise. I guess I'll just have to go see for myself.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
When they complain or comment about it they may be meaning that it is asian and white only.
Unless you choose a large city or urban area you may not be able to please all in some instances.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
When they complain or comment about it they may be meaning that it is asian and white only.
Unless you choose a large city or urban area you may not be able to please all in some instances.
No, these complaints are coming from asians. They say there aren't many asians at all in those schools.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:56 PM

Right but they might complain because they want more of a mix and not just 2 groups. Kids are strange in that they sometimes have unrealistic wants and always think the grass is always greener. They usually grow out of it at some point.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:59 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope002 View Post
No, these complaints are coming from asians. They say there aren't many asians at all in those schools.
Unless you move to California and live in such places as Cupertino, you won't find areas here with large majority asians.

Also, it all depends on their definition or perception of "not many"...13% is "not many" in many ways

Maybe the kids wished it were more like 80%

Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Queens.
Like Jackson Heights or Flushing.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,636,263 times
West Windsor-Plainsboro, shared between Mercer and Middlesex Counties, has the most Asians of any of these mentioned. WW has an Asian mayor and the head of the school board is also Asian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
The best thing to do would be to visit the schools and see for yourself, or at least talk to the teachers there.

Some high schools with high concentrations of asians (at least in theory) are:

In Somerset:

Bridgewater - 15%
Brdgwtr-raritn High School - Bridgewater, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

Watchung - 13%
Watchung Hills Regional High School - Warren, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

In Essex:

Livingston - 21%
Livingston Senior High School - Livingston, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

Milburn - 13%
Millburn Senior High School - Millburn, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

In Mercer County:

Princeton - 14%
Princeton High School - Princeton, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

In Middlesex (I would gather this is because of proximity to rutgers)

Plainsboro - 36%
Wwphs-north Campus High School - Plainsboro, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

South Brunswick - 26%
South Brunswick High School - Monmouth Junction, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

East brunswick - 24%
East Brunswick High School - E Brunswick, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

North Brunswick - 18%
North Brunswick Township High School - North Brunswick, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

Edison - 27%
Edison High School - Edison, New Jersey/NJ - Public School Profile

Old 04-09-2009, 07:20 PM

137 posts, read 522,375 times
I agree with Kalim2008. Cupertino school is like 80% asian. (But the teachers are not.)
Why not also consider Holmdel and Montgomery?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwnj View Post
I agree with Kalim2008. Cupertino school is like 80% asian. (But the teachers are not.)
Why not also consider Holmdel and Montgomery?
I currently live in Middlesex county already. My plan is to move further north & west to be closer to family. I'm fully aware of West Windsor & those places further south of me that has alot of Asians. But I would be moving further away from family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey