U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
 
1 posts, read 9,835 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi all

I'm browsing through town homes in Jersery City, namely Society Hill, a gated community west of Rt. 440.

How do you guys think of the area? Crime, school district or in general?

From what I can find on the forum, that section of JC doesn't appear so desirable. But could I be well-insulated with a neighborhood fence like that?

I work in uptown so I don't imagine myself having too much local interactions except for grocery shopping. My exwife has custody of our child (as they always do ), is this area okay for her occasional short term stays?

In any case, what money are those homes worth if you had to put price tags on them?

Thanks to you all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 PM
 
95 posts, read 504,595 times
Reputation: 34
I was sort of wondering this too...

*bump*
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 6,011,599 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiaking View Post
Hi all

I'm browsing through town homes in Jersery City, namely Society Hill, a gated community west of Rt. 440.

How do you guys think of the area? Crime, school district or in general?
The area is called "Greenville". A search for that should bring up plenty of hits.

Quote:
From what I can find on the forum, that section of JC doesn't appear so desirable. But could I be well-insulated with a neighborhood fence like that?
I hope it's bullet proof.

Quote:
In any case, what money are those homes worth if you had to put price tags on them?
Less than 100k. If you have much more than 100k and you only need one bedroom you have better options in Jersey City.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 PM
 
11,337 posts, read 10,208,576 times
Reputation: 14993
Elfie, you have obviously never been to this complex.

Society Hill in Jersey City is in its own world. It really has nothing to do with Greenville. It's actually not in the Greenville section at all - it's in West Bergen.

It is isolated geographically, by Route 440, and has gated access. It is insular and insulated from the rest of JC. It seems like a very nice place to live and has some fantastic water views from the promenade. Tons of shopping nearby too.

Values in that complex have ranged from the low 300's to the upper 400's over the last 6 months for the most part. A huge 3BR, 2.5 Bath Townhome with a 2-car garage just closed on 3/11 for $450,000, while a 1400 sqft 2BR, 2.5 bath duplex sold for $320,000 in January.

The complex has the usual clubhouse, pool, and tennis typical of Society Hills.

-Marc

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 04-08-2009 at 11:16 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 PM
 
Location: Ridgewood NJ
592 posts, read 2,114,856 times
Reputation: 315
It's very nice and safe inside the gated area. But dont expect to be able to step outside the gate for a night stroll during the summer to a local restaurant, or supermarket, etc... It's no man's land and not safe.

Some are perfectly happy living in such arrangement - drive out during the day to work and come home and stay only inside the gate. I personally can never live like that. It all depends on your life style preferences.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2009, 11:23 PM
 
11,337 posts, read 10,208,576 times
Reputation: 14993
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
It's very nice and safe inside the gated area. But dont expect to be able to step outside the gate for a night stroll during the summer to a local restaurant, or supermarket, etc... It's no man's land and not safe.

Some are perfectly happy living in such arrangement - drive out during the day to work and come home and stay only inside the gate. I personally can never live like that. It all depends on your life style preferences.
I've been in this area hundreds of times during the daylight and in the dark and I don't find it to be like this at all. The shopping areas, diners, movie theaters, IHOP, etc feel safe to me. Just my experience...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2009, 11:05 AM
 
1,110 posts, read 4,210,629 times
Reputation: 430
Crime - Very High
Schools - Worst

Skip. Look for something else. Once you leave the premises, you are in trouble.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, PA
2,771 posts, read 6,011,599 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Elfie, you have obviously never been to this complex.

Society Hill in Jersey City is in its own world. It really has nothing to do with Greenville. It's actually not in the Greenville section at all - it's in West Bergen.

It is isolated geographically, by Route 440, and has gated access. It is insular and insulated from the rest of JC. It seems like a very nice place to live and has some fantastic water views from the promenade. Tons of shopping nearby too.

Values in that complex have ranged from the low 300's to the upper 400's over the last 6 months for the most part. A huge 3BR, 2.5 Bath Townhome with a 2-car garage just closed on 3/11 for $450,000, while a 1400 sqft 2BR, 2.5 bath duplex sold for $320,000 in January.

The complex has the usual clubhouse, pool, and tennis typical of Society Hills.
Fair point, I have driven on 440, and I have run along the other side of 440, but I haven't crossed into that little pocket.

I wasn't aware that 440 was that effective in protecting the area from the highway. I'll take your word for it.

I understand that new construction in these places probably goes for a high price, but value is subjective, and you wouldn't catch me forking out that much for these places (even if I had 450). Indeed, this trend of building flashy "luxury condos" in the middle of blighted areas strikes me as one of the excesses of the construction/housing bubble. This leads me to wonder how well the value of these places will hold up compared to a place in a more established community.

It seems a stretch to defend a price of 450 for these places. Even though we're barely post bubble, one has several very good options for 450.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2009, 11:10 AM
bay
 
425 posts, read 2,843,485 times
Reputation: 176
I've been living there for 4 years now. Personally, I like the complex a lot. I don't feel crime at all around the area and RT 440 and gated security do make big different. There is PATHMART right outside of complex and it's very convenient for shopping so you don't need to go through Greenvill area. Inside the complex, it's big enough for kids to run and bike so no need to go out all. However, the school is bad here so we consider to move once the kid hits school age. My son currectly goes to daycare in Bayonne.
I would say SH is a good place for start-up family who work in NYC or JC. Nice environment and nice people, too.

The TH for Droyer Pointe (phase III) will range from upper 300- low 500k depends on model and upgrade. If you don't mind to get something older, SH I and II have 2 bdroom duplex or Condo with high 200 to lower 300k range.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-14-2010, 02:34 PM
 
5 posts, read 14,165 times
Reputation: 12
I heard that there r a lot of rats over there is that true.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top