Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:07 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,529,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
It feels like a middle class family area to me. We moved hoping to start a family and I'm not sure I'd have moved there otherwise. If I was young and single I don't think I would have wanted to move there. But, then I don't think Holmdel would do it for me under those circumstances either. I don't do a whole lot of socializing with my neighbors so I just wanted pleasant people who mostly mind their own business. If you're a "yuppie" like a nyc yuppie, I think Hazlet would be like a slow death for you. Shouldn't you be looking for "a walkable downtown"? lol
i am not young and single. i am 28, married and my wife is pregnant with a little SkipperNJ. im not interested in a "hip" young person place anyway. im not hip. my older brother is more hip and he lives in a 1,200 square foot apartment in spanish harlem that cost more than 800k. like you, i probably wont be socializing too much with the neighbors. but it would be nice if some neighbors were in a similar situation as myself and we can hang out and socialize a bit. i like people.

yeah, im no nyc yuppie. i hate nyc and think of it as a dirty sewer. i grew up in manalapan and morganville and thats the life i enjoy. it seems like the average age is higher in the places i like. thats why a new development interests me. i feel it would probably have more younger couples starting out than people with older kids or kids who already left the nest. i see thats what has happened to my old development. now the houses have big trees covering their fronts and they seem less lively. i hate big trees covering houses.

i appreciate your input.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM

im tired of looking for a house and i have barely looked.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM

just talked to a guy this morning who lives in "the woods" on 35. he basically said that hazlet has a lot of unsavory characters and it would be best to avoid living there. the development might be ok but the school will have a mix of unsavory people and the places in the town will have them. while the place im looking at is close to 35 so i dont think id frequent local hazlet place, i do have to consider these things in my thought process.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:33 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,744,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i spend a decent amount in that general area because i visit my mother frequently and we go out to eat and shop on 35. the place where my mom lives and the place im looking at houses is only about 2 miles away but she is concerned it is still a large difference. im not really sure how much the town would impact my quality of life since aside from my immediate development and the school, i doubt id have much dealings around town. you could figure me as a yuppie type of person, not a blue collar type. im not looking to be a jerk but i do prefer to be around people like myself.

I'm curious, CaptainNJ if you've considered Atlantic Highlands at all?

Old 06-22-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I'm curious, CaptainNJ if you've considered Atlantic Highlands at all?
my commute to brooklyn limits how far out of the way im willing to go. the house i looked at in hazlet is very nice (but only 10,000 square foot lot) but its hazlet. i am leaning towards holmdel and debating if i want to spend the extra money for a large lot. if you spend in the 750k area you can get yourself a large lot.

i guess i just need to figure out what towns are most similar to holmdel, manalapan, marlboro, freehold and then decide which of those towns has the right balance of commute convenience and the right house for me. i havent done much and i already feel drained when it comes to this process.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 06-22-2009 at 02:14 PM..

Old 06-23-2009, 08:17 PM

34 posts, read 130,725 times
If you can afford it, go with Holmdel. Much nicer than Marlboro, where I grew up. Also, better school system, and much better commute to North Jersey or NYC b/c Holmdel is located right off the Parkway. Marlboro, Manalapan, Morganville, etc is stuck on Rt 9 = disaster in the mornings. Best of luck

Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,733 times
My brother lives in Hazlet, and I've grown to love it. Before he lived there, I thought it was essentially like Keansburg and had a low opinion of it. Now, though, I think it's just about perfect for that area. It might be that Hazlet doesn't have a "good name" in the minds of many people that is keeping it just right.

A lot of the towns in that area are being discovered and scaling up into more affluent towns. Hazlet has done this to some degree, but lags a bit behind the others. Keyport, also. But that's what I love about it. You can buy a nice home in a nice, safe neighborhood there, close to shopping and all conveniences including highways and mass transit (as good as you can get in NJ, anyway), but it's not quite an "affluent" town like many of its neighbors, such as Holmdel. I love it, it's down to earth, it's comfortable, it's reasonably priced in terms of all costs of living (and the cheapest gas even in NJ). It's close enough to the Jersey Shore, it's close enough to NYC and Newark Airport, also. It's near the junction of the Turnpike and Parkway, and it's right off the Parkway.

I think it's a hidden gem, and I hope it stays that way, but it probably will evolve into an "affluent" town over time, unfortunately. But right now, I think it's a great place to live.

Of course, if you're into status and McMansions and the snootier towns, then it's not for you. Not yet, anyway.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:48 PM

49 posts, read 123,849 times
Quote:
just talked to a guy this morning who lives in "the woods" on 35. he basically said that hazlet has a lot of unsavory characters and it would be best to avoid living there. the development might be ok but the school will have a mix of unsavory people and the places in the town will have them. while the place im looking at is close to 35 so i dont think id frequent local hazlet place, i do have to consider these things in my thought process.
just curious as to what you consider "unsavory people"

I'm originally from Brooklyn and I really don't consider the people of Hazlet "unsavory" Perhaps one of the more "affluent towns" would better suit your purposes; Although, until you have lived in an area for a while, you really don't know what surrounds you. That nice affluent neighbor might be an unsavory person. :-) Just kidding, but really we are all just people trying to live a normal life. Hazlet is a nice town, as I said before if you feel the need to be near Holmdel, try Raritan Valley.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:04 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,762,733 times
Quote:
my commute to brooklyn limits how far out of the way im willing to go. the house i looked at in hazlet is very nice (but only 10,000 square foot lot) but its hazlet. i am leaning towards holmdel and debating if i want to spend the extra money for a large lot. if you spend in the 750k area you can get yourself a large lot.

i guess i just need to figure out what towns are most similar to holmdel, manalapan, marlboro, freehold and then decide which of those towns has the right balance of commute convenience and the right house for me. i havent done much and i already feel drained when it comes to this process.
If you like holmdel, manalapan, marlboro, freehold then why not just pick one of those towns and move there? If you can't afford it, then you're not the right class of person and need to choose a town that is lower class to suit you and your wife.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:31 PM

831 posts, read 2,430,522 times
Have you considered Matawan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey