Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,838,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownHites View Post
Hi All....Thinking about purchasing an apt at 276 Prospect Street. Unit is great but I don't know East orange. Please let me know about the safety of this area. Are there plans in the works for a area improvements, shopping, entertainment etc? Why are the taxes soooooo high? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!
Don't do it...
Its "ok" but taxes are to high for a junk town.

As much as the people are ok,remember, people stick in groups.

I see Africans treating other Africans with respect,but if you are from another ethnic group,they don't.
Same with hispanics,Jamaicans,Haitians,etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
Default moving from NY to NJ

Hey all! I'm looking for a decent area to live in that's affordable. East Orange seems to have some nice condos for sale. I looked the neighborhood up on Neighborhoodscout.com and it scored a 34, which is pretty low compared to the 65 my current NY neighborhood scored. I am a city girl. I'm not looking for white picket fence nice. I just want to be able to walk my dog at night and not worry. Can anyone who actually lives there give me some insight? -Thanks

Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 AM

5 posts, read 12,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loving_lfe View Post
Hey all! I'm looking for a decent area to live in that's affordable. East Orange seems to have some nice condos for sale. I looked the neighborhood up on Neighborhoodscout.com and it scored a 34, which is pretty low compared to the 65 my current NY neighborhood scored. I am a city girl. I'm not looking for white picket fence nice. I just want to be able to walk my dog at night and not worry. Can anyone who actually lives there give me some insight? -Thanks

What area are you looking it. Some areas are just fine, some are absolutely terrible. If your in an OK area and own a car its not bad at all. I live in EO, my wife and I are well paid professionals as are our neighbors, NONE of us hang out or party in the town. I would avoid if you had kids because the schools are a melting pot for all the undesirables obviously.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Sporano View Post
Like any other depressed urban area, just be smart and mind your own business. East Orange has some food stores. Newark is right there for entertainment and Busses and walking are both cheap.

Taxes high? Welcome to New Jersey.
Yep, there is not a single places that people on this forum recommends that has taxes below $10k here.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,075 times
I'm looking to move to Lenox Ave in East Orange, NJ between S. Burnett & S. Arlington... is that a nice area? East Orange NJ transit train stop is a few blocks away. In between Central Ave & Main Street... Please help.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:33 AM

334 posts, read 731,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive0727 View Post
I'm looking to move to Lenox Ave in East Orange, NJ between S. Burnett & S. Arlington... is that a nice area? East Orange NJ transit train stop is a few blocks away. In between Central Ave & Main Street... Please help.
Hi, I grew up in East Orange and still have relatives that live there. Nice area is relative to what you are used to, but I can confidently say that it is not a nice area in most people's eyes. Maybe not as bad as it used to be, but not good. If you plan to move to East Orange, the best areas include some parts along the Bloomfield border and areas along the Glen Ridge border.

Old 12-16-2015, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,075 times
I really meant a safe area... so you're saying it isn't?

Old 12-17-2015, 06:39 PM

206 posts, read 473,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive0727 View Post
I really meant a safe area... so you're saying it isn't?

I lived at 46 S Arlington which is right around the corner from where you are looking and you would be just a few blocks from the Police station. I wouldn't say that any area in EO is particularly safe these days, but that area is safer than many and you will certainly need to keep your "antenna up" while walking to/from the train station after dark.

Seems like EOPD has been reducing crime to some degree lately .

here are a couple links, you can blow the image up to see Lenox Street/crime data. Be sure to scroll down below the map to the crimes to give you an idea of what can be expected.

Crime Data for East Orange, NJ - Trulia

and an interesting video re: EOPD that is fairly recent.

https://youtu.be/HwutdBX8OcU

suggest you check the area firsthand and carefully before you decide. Good luck with your decision and please post back your findings to help other folks out there that are in the same boat.

If you do move there you will be just a short walk from The China Pagoda if you like oriental food !

Old 11-12-2016, 10:06 AM

1 posts, read 734 times
Default Recent resident

I've lived in every kind of neighborhood imaginable. I will compare EO to Brownsville Brooklyn in the 90s... Not good but not that horrible. I live in what people here call "upper vailsburg" and while my block seems to be ok a cpl of blocks down it is not good at all. Yes, it is predominantly black and I know some try to equate that with ghetto, this isn't the case. My block is a mix of multi carribean and American culture. The streets during the day are quiet as everyone is working. The children coming home from school are quiet, polite, well spoken, well mannered and neatly dressed. Let's not get this confused, it is a high crime area and as such you should act like you're in one. Mind your own business, be polite and everyone else will do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey