Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 02:27 PM

35 posts, read 176,532 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am a white girl who is married (my husband's Dominican) & we are thinking about buy a house in either orange or east orange. The houses there are beautiful & we are looking to get one cheap & fix it up. I have lived in places like irvington, passaic, and currently union city, where I am one of the few white girl's there. I know orange and east orange are predominatly african american, which doesn't bother me one bit. So by me saying that, will they be bothered by me? I hope not because I'm very nice & people usually like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 02:50 PM

34 posts, read 143,910 times
I don't know? lol

What I've learned is if you act like you’re scared, people will treat you as an outsider and a punk just for the hell of it.

This pretty girl Italian girl I knew who went to Seton Hall would frequently drive around in East Orange in her convertible BMW with the top down and would stop at this one seedy corner store for gum and phone cards. She was so well known that the shadiest of characters and young teens would say "what's up" to her and talk with her because they saw her around so much. It shocked the hell out of me. I’m no punk and even if I owned a convertible I sure as hell wouldn’t ride around with my top down in East Orange or leave it down when I went into a store. lol

Nobody ever bothered her or her car. I don't know why, maybe it's because she was nice to them or she was pretty or because she honestly didn't care and did what she wanted to do and walked through the town like she owned the place, that girl had balls.

I told her they probably think your some drug dealers girlfriend or undercover cop so they leave you alone. She yelled at me for my simple minded comment. lol

Either way good luck.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:59 PM

181 posts, read 378,444 times
Don't worry, you won't have any problems in East Orange or Orange because of your race. Now, are you sure you want to move to East Orange or Orange. I can give you more advice on East Orange because I grew up there and left a few years ago. The homes in East Orange are beautiful. Remember, that in the 1950's East Orange was voted cleanest city in America three years in a row. In "I Love Lucy," she even made a joke about getting lost and ended up in East Orange to shop at some of it's upscale stores. So, the town has history and some very nice homes. But that was then and this is now. Where are you looking to buy your home at in East Orange? Are you and your husband planning on having any kids? The East Orange school system is not that great to say the least. The elementary schools aren't bad. Heart Middle (John L. Costley Middle School, Sojourner Truth Middle School
, Patrick F. Healy Middle School) is not that great though. Cicely Tyson School of the Performing Arts(another middle school) is good. The campus high school looks nice, but they always have problem. They combined Clifford Scott high school and East Orange high into that one school, and it's just too many kids. As far as homes go. The property taxes in East Orange are through the rough. And as a side treat, you are also not allowed to park overnight on the street. So, even if you own a home, if you don't have a driveway, you will have to find a place to park your car or get a ticket every night. The city does have parking permits now, but it's only in select parts of the city. Crime is worse in some parts than others. I grew up on Prospect Street and my family and I never had a problem or did my friends. Other parts of town are a little more iffy. Not trying to turn you away, but I'm just letting you know.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:02 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
If you have already lived in the area- you obviously know the answer to your own question. How comfortable you would be is based on several factors individual to you.
If you have not lived in a like area and you are just playing with the forum "blueyes" -go back to the Pennsylvania boards and have your fun there.
I'm sure your niceness pays off big dividends.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 PM

825 posts, read 3,160,249 times
since you're a white girl... I'm sure the locals will like you a lot.

but in all truth, you're most likely better off where you are now in Union City. you can buy an old house and fix it up in any town, including much safer towns than East Orange and Orange. Orange would be the better of the two.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Me & my husband don't plan on having kids so schools don't really matter to us. We just want to buy a home where we can have a little yard for our 2 dogs and a garage so my husband can work on his car here and there. I'm going to drive around and look at houses in that area some more, maybe this weekend, and in surrounding towns as well. I don't want to rush into anything because buying a home is a big step.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:32 AM
zas

95 posts, read 283,117 times
What street are you looking at in EO?

Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM

We saw ones on Woodland ave, New st, Elmwood ave, Grove st, N Maple ave, Brookwood st.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
Not many whites there. I would pick another place if you feel uncomfortable. Much better choices. Homes are cheap because lots of crime there.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,389 times
If you really felt uncomfortable your "husband" wouldn't have you looking there in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey