Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2016, 12:50 AM

30 posts, read 47,776 times

Advertisements

Hi, I know its like comparing apples to oranges but I would appreciate if I could get some inputs from you all for the apartment complexes in these two areas. after lot of research, we have shortlisted the following properties for rent and would like to get some help in shortlisting our future rental home:

About us:

Couple with 2nd grader kid, moving from India (previously worked and lived in Cherry hill, NJ so acclimatization is not a problem).

-Husband will commute to NYC (3X a week, rest of the days he can work from home)
-I am moving with a WFH offer in hand, would like to search Business Analyst jobs after the settling time.
-Would like to live in relatively new/well maintained complex. Edison/Metuchen homes were too old and also the area was a little congested to our liking.
-Would not be having a car in beginning so a walkable location will be nice
-Proximity to library/ cafes/ grocery stores preferred

1. Villas at Fairway, Stelton Road Piscataway: New construction, shuttle to Edison train station, walking distance to grocery/restaurants/ cafes on Stelton Road. School assigned will be Knollwood elementary school.

2. Avalon at Princeton Junction: Loved the pictures and amenities offered. NJ transit bus to Princeton Junction station comes to the complex, Good school and safe neighborhood. Accessible to few cafes on Clarksville road

3. The mews at princeton Junction: Loved the pictures and amenities offered. Free shuttle to Train station. Good school and safe neighborhood

ANyone who is familiar with these areas and apartments please let me know what do you think about these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2016, 09:52 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,188,336 times
The shuttle buses would take care of commuting but otherwise you would need a car in West Windsor. You could use Uber or rent one when needed, but in long run you will need a car.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:28 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,852,540 times
Incredibly difficult to live in West Windsor / Princeton Junction area without a car.

That is true for the majority of NJ.

It is a very nice area to live in though. You will like it here, but I do suggest budgeting for a car.

Last edited by daliowa; 02-02-2016 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM

Thank you so much. After much deliberation, we have decided to rent in West windsor since the place is just beautiful with so many recreational activities. Yes, we will be having a car and even if for initial 2-3 months we need to rent one on weekends we have decided to make budget for it since it will enable us to live in this beautiful area. We now need to decide between Avalon and The mews. My husband will be taking a tour of both these complexes in a week or two but I will also love to have some inputs from you all. from what I saw on google earth/ images, Avalon is walkable to few cafes etc and also at clarksville road which probably makes it safer due to all Govt offices nearby. BUT Mews looks more beautiful and inviting and the rent is also a bit cheaper than Avalon. Please advise.

Another concern is safety. I know that West Windsor is extremely safe but still is Mews a less safer option due to its isolated location?

This forum has been super helpful to me and I REALLY appreciate all the help I am getting to make one of the most nerve wracking decisions :-)

Old 02-06-2016, 09:49 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
First of all, welcome to the neighbourhood!
I have co-workers who live/have lived in both of these complexes. The one big complaint I hear from the Mews is the noise transfer between apartments.

The Mews is newer but Avalon is closer to (walkable) restaurants. There is an Indian grocery and a brand new (yet to be opened) Indian restaurant across Clarksville from Avalon, there is also a day care (Happy School).

The Mews is across the RR tracks from grocery, restaurants etc.
As daven and daliowa have mentioned, you will need a car to access all of what West Windsor and the surrounding area has to offer.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:57 AM

Thank you Jerseyj. We are really excited to move in this region. Thanks to this forum and the wonderful members who took out time for replying to my queries.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 PM

15 posts, read 40,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indmirage View Post
Hi, I know its like comparing apples to oranges but I would appreciate if I could get some inputs from you all for the apartment complexes in these two areas. after lot of research, we have shortlisted the following properties for rent and would like to get some help in shortlisting our future rental home:

About us:

Couple with 2nd grader kid, moving from India (previously worked and lived in Cherry hill, NJ so acclimatization is not a problem).

-Husband will commute to NYC (3X a week, rest of the days he can work from home)
-I am moving with a WFH offer in hand, would like to search Business Analyst jobs after the settling time.
-Would like to live in relatively new/well maintained complex. Edison/Metuchen homes were too old and also the area was a little congested to our liking.
-Would not be having a car in beginning so a walkable location will be nice
-Proximity to library/ cafes/ grocery stores preferred

1. Villas at Fairway, Stelton Road Piscataway: New construction, shuttle to Edison train station, walking distance to grocery/restaurants/ cafes on Stelton Road. School assigned will be Knollwood elementary school.

2. Avalon at Princeton Junction: Loved the pictures and amenities offered. NJ transit bus to Princeton Junction station comes to the complex, Good school and safe neighborhood. Accessible to few cafes on Clarksville road

3. The mews at princeton Junction: Loved the pictures and amenities offered. Free shuttle to Train station. Good school and safe neighborhood

ANyone who is familiar with these areas and apartments please let me know what do you think about these.
Consider South Edison community of Rivendell, Blueberry, Rivendell Village, Edison Manor. These are walkable to Edison train station, get school buses and you can get Indian groceries in walking distance. The library is beyond the station, but walkable still.
I moved from this area to Piscataway. I still come to South Edison for all my amenities.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:57 PM

22 posts, read 68,349 times
Avoid the Mews - just look up reviews online. Bad bad bad......

You can also take the bus to NYC. Bus is much more reliable. It has many stops in Plainsboro:
http://www.coachusa.com/CoachUsaAsse...9/route300.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey