Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,012 times

Advertisements

Knew it would start the bashing, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Keep in mind that FAITH has nothing to do with ORGANIZED religion per se. ALL religions are man made and ALL religions are imperfect. I am a Greek Orthodox Raised, whose Mother was Presbyterian, then I converted to Catholic and I'm considering becoming Episcopalian...ok. ALL have flaws, ALL beg for $, ALL are imperfect....and ALL still manage to do some amazing things.

And it does not have to be Christianity. That's what I am, but I don't profess to have the answers for all. I have friends who are Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and I have studied all of their beliefs and take them with me too.

SPIRITUALITY is not necessarily tied to any religion. BUT what I'm saying is today most kids are brought up to believe in nothing. It's all materialism and the like... it's jut not great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:53 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
Knew it would start the bashing, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Keep in mind that FAITH has nothing to do with ORGANIZED religion per se. ALL religions are man made and ALL religions are imperfect. I am a Greek Orthodox Raised, whose Mother was Presbyterian, then I converted to Catholic and I'm considering becoming Episcopalian...ok. ALL have flaws, ALL beg for $, ALL are imperfect....and ALL still manage to do some amazing things.

And it does not have to be Christianity. That's what I am, but I don't profess to have the answers for all. I have friends who are Jewish, Hindu, Buddhist and I have studied all of their beliefs and take them with me too.

SPIRITUALITY is not necessarily tied to any religion. BUT what I'm saying is today most kids are brought up to believe in nothing. It's all materialism and the like... it's jut not great.

why are you saying "no faith = materialism"? i wouldn't say "faith = materialism" despite seeing these televangelists flaunting their wealth.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why are you saying "no faith = materialism"? i wouldn't say "faith = materialism" despite seeing these televangelists flaunting their wealth.
No faith does not necessarily equal materialism.

I guess I just don't follow agnosticism. I think you should believe in SOMETHING. Even if it's not what I believe in. I guess I don't get why people bother celebrating Easter or Christmas if they are NOT Christians. Ya know? I also think faith is a good thing to have. MATERIALISM on the other hand is something I loathe.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:51 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,641,507 times
Quote:
Oh the Televangelists. They put a bad name on all religion. All denominations have been losing members for years. The Televangelists have played a part in this by getting caught with their hands in the till. People have lost trust in organized religion.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM

I have always said I'm only still Catholic because of the Franciscans.... and I mean it.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:45 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,675,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
No faith does not necessarily equal materialism.

I guess I just don't follow agnosticism. I think you should believe in SOMETHING. Even if it's not what I believe in. I guess I don't get why people bother celebrating Easter or Christmas if they are NOT Christians. Ya know? I also think faith is a good thing to have. MATERIALISM on the other hand is something I loathe.
*shrug*. I have faith that I don't know what's on the other side. I have faith that you can be a good person and not follow any prescribed religion. I have faith I won't be struck down dead by questioning the existence of a higher power. I have faith that any subsequent wars that we live (nor not) through will be all in the name of God or Allah.

(you know I love ya EEEPP)

Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
*shrug*. I have faith that I don't know what's on the other side. I have faith that you can be a good person and not follow any prescribed religion. I have faith I won't be struck down dead by questioning the existence of a higher power. I have faith that any subsequent wars that we live (nor not) through will be all in the name of God or Allah.

(you know I love ya EEEPP)
I don't disagree with you.... except on the last one. They will be for $$ or oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey