Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 08:33 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I'm just wondering ... Why are you asking strangers on the internet to serve as references?
you really thought I was being serious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 08:34 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,658,407 times
Quote:
The thing that scares me about ccw ... Is that there isn't a requirement to get training on how to use a firearm or how to handle yourself in a confrontation and use judgement

I remember maybe 10 or more years ago a couple of women in va got into a road rage incident and one woman shot the other. They were both middle aged women, and the one who was shot was approaching the other woman who was still on the car, on foot. I don't remember what the outcome was for the shooter but a tragedy either way

People here in nj and ny are so confrontational. I just wonder how allowing firearms into the mix will come out. I hope that people would be more civil and polite to each other knowing that the other person could have a legal firearm, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. I'm still a supporter though.
Yeah thats one big issue too and its a shame.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Because the gun nuts I know & dialogue with here, speak of their firearms with a fervor which should only be reserved for one's manhood. There are hunters, who I respect for their long weapons. Then, there are those who talk about the need to carry handguns, yet have never been in a situation where they would have used one, and never will.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine. The bigger the gun, the smaller the dick.

Would you accompany your family everywhere, if you had a gun? Or, would each of them, child or adult, also require a firearm for personal protection?

It may well have been me, here or elsewhere. Because, I don't care what you do in the privacy of your own home. But, I no more want to see you walking down the street with a gun, then I do some hood rat who had yet to acquire a criminal conviction, who would thus be just as entitled to carry firearms as you.
oh I didn't realize you were entitled to your opinion. I guess that has something to do with the 1st amendment to the constitution. you like those amendments when they work to your benefit don't you? well, right after the 1st is the 2nd amendment. that's the one that states my right to carry weapons.

I think if you think its a penis issue, then its probably your mentality that is the problem; not the person interested in defending themselves.

much like you dont care what i do in my home, I don't care what you would like to see walking down the street. I believe I have a right to be carrying a gun and I will support actions fighting for my right.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oh I didn't realize you were entitled to your opinion. I guess that has something to do with the 1st amendment to the constitution. you like those amendments when they work to your benefit don't you?
The First Amendment has nothing to do with my right to say what I think of you.
Quote:
right after the 1st is the 2nd amendment. that's the one that states my right to carry weapons.
Then, why aren't you doing it?
Quote:
I think if you think its a penis issue, then its probably your mentality that is the problem; not the person interested in defending themselves.
If that time actually came, you'd dirty your Depends first.
Quote:
much like you dont care what i do in my home, I don't care what you would like to see walking down the street.
I also doubt that you do much walking. Waddling, probably.
Quote:
I believe I have a right to be carrying a gun and I will support actions fighting for my right.
Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder - CNN.com

Old 02-16-2014, 08:47 AM

1,212 posts, read 2,252,587 times
Quote:
you really thought I was being serious?
All of your posts are sarcastic?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
The First Amendment has nothing to do with my right to say what I think of you.

Then, why aren't you doing it?

If that time actually came, you'd dirty your Depends first.

I also doubt that you do much walking. Waddling, probably.

Dunn convicted of attempted murder; hung jury on murder - CNN.com
if someone restricted your right to say what you think of me, what right of yours would you say that they are violating?

im not doing it because new jersey has imposed unconstitutional/illegal restrictions on gun owners. but laws change and eventually my right to carry will be upheld here in new jersey just like it is upheld in most other states.

oh so now we are moving from penis references to making in our pants references. you represent the very low information low level of sophistication position in this debate. it seems to be some kind of weird macho thing with you. thats very low class.

im not familiar with that case you linked to.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
All of your posts are sarcastic?
nope, I thought that was obvious because it seems pretty ridiculous to post on an anonymous online forum asking for references. plus, ive been around here a while and I know a few people here would see the humor in me asking them for a reference.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I work in NYC at a company where most of the employees are leftists of some sort; finding a couple of NJ references who aren't anti-gun is pretty difficult.
you actually don't need the references to be nj residents. I have used a couple of Brooklyn residents for my references. so you could use people at work if you have any that would do it for you. im also planning on using my brother's fiancé and mom's boyfriend.

I think the concept of getting references is pretty silly since they are selected by the applicant. so im not going to use someone as a reference unless I know they will respond positively. so the value to the state as a safety measure seems minimal. I would imagine an in person interview would have more value. I guess a real interview with a psychologist would be good but that leads to expenses and also many people would take issue with it. I guess im ok with it because I think I can present myself well but if someone did get denied based on it, that would be complicated and possibly unconstitutional. as far as inconvenience, the current system is fine for me except the need to reapply for every handgun purchase. whether or not its the best system to weed out nuts, I don't know about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: