Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 10:02 PM

95 posts, read 521,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Ethnicity is an irrelevant characteristic. What really matters is the individual and what he or she does with his or her life.

Having "pride" in one's ethnicity makes no sense whatsoever. Ethnicity is a biological accident. It is NOT an accomplishment.

While I enjoy certain familiarities and comforts of my ethnicity, I do not have any pride in being Italian. That would be absurd. Being Italian is not something to be proud of, or ashamed of, or anything of.

Pride should be reserved for something that you do, not the random race you happened to be born into.

There is too much killing and senselessness in the world that results from identification and personal surrender to irrelevant groupings and ethnicities.

We all know what overt racial pride has resulted in over the past 75 years. I think it is something we need to be rid of. Individual responsibility, achievement, and integrity are rational goals. Love of one's race is not.

-Marc
Wow Marc, I literally could not agree with you any more. Well said!

Why is it ok for someone to say "I'm proud to be Italian", and yet every single one of us would cringe in horror if we heard someone say "I'm proud to be white"? And yet those two statements are fundamentally no different. You can be proud of your ancestors for their accomplishments, values or other qualities, but to be proud of them simply on account of your race or other accidental characteristic over which no one has any control is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Last in. Last out. Still hangin on?
Not the point at all.

I don't really get the ethnic pride thing either.
Not because I think you should hide it. I think you should be secure with your heritage and be humbly prideful to a point but it's really more about being secure within.

If all your greatgrandparents were American born as mine were- this issue is sort of a non issue. I have never been a hypenated American.
Non Europeans often have very different views on this. But I have never heard anyone under 60 go on and on like this and make it such an issue.

Old 04-15-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtoneil View Post
Why is it ok for someone to say "I'm proud to be Italian", and yet every single one of us would cringe in horror if we heard someone say "I'm proud to be white"? And yet those two statements are fundamentally no different. You can be proud of your ancestors for their accomplishments, values or other qualities, but to be proud of them simply on account of your race or other accidental characteristic over which no one has any control is absurd.
One's whiteness has another sort of significance. Race classifications are part of a larger social construct that was conceptualized and put into practice to categorize and control the population.
Some people do not agree that all Europeans are white.

I get the point that being proud of an accidental characteristic is similar in both cases.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Italians have themselves to blame with "white flight", no?
Big, bad, brown people started moving into the city by the lot (see: ANY CITY) & whites started to flee.
That's the way it goes.............. You can't have everything.
As a result, tax revenues were extracted from cities, racism kept many brown types from fulfilling their potential, which in turn made many in community frustrated & NJ's cities deteriorated.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:59 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:

how is saying you are proud to be white wrong? If someone said they are proud to be black would you find that wrong?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Italians have themselves to blame with "white flight", no?
Big, bad, brown people started moving into the city by the lot (see: ANY CITY) & whites started to flee.
That's the way it goes.............. You can't have everything.
As a result, tax revenues were extracted from cities, racism kept many brown types from fulfilling their potential, which in turn made many in community frustrated & NJ's cities deteriorated.
can you blame them when within a decade the neighborhoods they lived in became garbage with drug dealers and prostitutes walking the streets after minorities (mostly black people) moved in?

Old 04-16-2009, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
how is saying you are proud to be white wrong? If someone said they are proud to be black would you find that wrong?
He probably would based on his post.
It's fine to be proud of accomplishments, sacrifices, struggle, etc. but that is not simply how you are born.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:15 AM

95 posts, read 521,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
Actually yes, I do think it's wrong. Just take any black organization and replace black with white, and see how it sounds. My high school had a "Black Student Union". Imagine someone creating a "White Student Union". Doesn't sound right to me, so why should the black one be ok?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:

Why is it ok for someone to say "I'm proud to be Italian", and yet every single one of us would cringe in horror if we heard someone say "I'm proud to be white"? And yet those two statements are fundamentally no different.
They are very different. "White" is a color. "Italian" is a culture and heritage. You can be proud of your heritage, whatever that may be (American, Irish, English, Italian, Ukranian), without being racist. Being "proud" of your race is obviously racist.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:45 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
Actually yes, I do think it's wrong. Just take any black organization and replace black with white, and see how it sounds. My high school had a "Black Student Union". Imagine someone creating a "White Student Union". Doesn't sound right to me, so why should the black one be ok?
Since "sound right to me" is the gold standard now, does "black student union" "sound" wrong to you in the same way that "white student union" does ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey