Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 12:54 PM

58 posts, read 229,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Well I think there is some confusion here about what exact area we are talking about. The original poster needs to clarify exactly where she plans on moving.

Springfield Ave down by the driving range next to the off-ramp from 78 is ok. If you travel farther east, about a mile down the road towards Irvington it becomes increasingly bad the farther you go. Once you get to the bus terminal in Irvington, then the neighborhood looks really shady. This is the area I was referring to and if this is where the original poster was talking about, then I advise to stay away.
The places we've seen have been west of Burnett Ave and Springfield. Some just by a couple blocks, some by more than that. And most within 1 block or two of springfield, usually south.

Does that help clarify?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 01:06 PM

202 posts, read 991,351 times
Maplewood is really a town with two sides. There's the pricier, nicer, snobbier side (west of Valley street) and the not-as nice side (east of Valley street).

People expecting a top-tier town with extremely low crime and blue ribbon schools will be disappointed. People expecting a middle-class neighborhood with a mediocre school system and some spill-over crime from Irvington and Newark will not be disappointed.

Whome:

Take some time to walk up on and down Springfield Ave at different hours of the day and night (in Maplewood as well into the Vauxhall section of Union) and see if you are comfortable with the neighborhood and people who live there.

Whatever the case is, that section of town is not area people are referring to when they say "Maplewood is a great town, especially to commute into NYC."

Old 04-02-2007, 04:17 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,069,225 times
I notice that everytime someone talks bad about Maplewood they only really mention Springfield ave. which is not even the center of the town. And again...we're not talking about the 'Union', 'Newark', or 'Irvington' Springfield aves. We're talking about the MAPLEWOOD one. It is a nice town, regardless of what you may think. Livingston would by far be a nicer town but that doesn't make Maplewood anything close to bad. I'll go as far to say that if anyone thinks Maplewood is really that bad is spineless. I mean, have you seen Maplewood village? Or the town houses in the hills?

Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 PM

58 posts, read 229,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Your basically moving to the Hood.
We've been in Maplewood for almost 2 months now. And nearly everyday, as I walk through my neighborhood, I think of this post and just laugh.

I have to assume that 41Willys has never set foot in Maplewood. Either that, or he's never been to a "Hood."

I'm just off of Springfield Ave, and it's a beautiful, quiet, and safe neighborhood. Maybe 41Willys was thinking of the part of springfield in Irvington. Because here, it's anything but "the Hood"

Old 06-11-2007, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 2,213 times
A good realtor in the area is Doreen Chila at Alper Realty. Very knowledgable about homes in your price range. 973 378 8200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey