U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:22 PM

58 posts, read 216,527 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on moving to Maplewood in the next month or so.

Anyone here live there? Can anyone tell me about certain parts of the town to avoid?

The houses in our price range are generally close to Springfield avenue. Which parts along there are better than others (or worse than others).

I've heard that the east side isn't as nice. Is the south side just as bad?

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 02:48 PM

1,660 posts, read 4,800,743 times
Your basically moving to the Hood.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 PM

46 posts, read 394,546 times
What is your price range and why did you choose Maplewood? I have a good friend living in Maplewood and she really likes it. They are off of Wyoming close to the South Orange border. I know that they have a great town pool...
But if you don't like the choices available to you in Maplewood you could look at
Verona, Montclair, Glen Ridge, South Orange, Livingston, West Caldwell or Millburn.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:20 PM

Our price range is $350k.

We chose Maplewood because it seemed to have the best combination of commute(to manhattan)/affordability/safety of anywhere I could find. I've been able to talk to a couple people who live there who like it.

As for the other towns, is it realistic to find something decent in that price range? What would the commute be like? And what parts of those towns would it be wise to avoid?

41Willys: Care to elaborate? A response like that just isn't very helpful. I know that much of Maplewood is extremely nice. Is it the specific area I mentioned that you think is the hood? How bad is the hood in maplewood? Is the entire stretch of Springfield bad? If not, which parts are?

Old 03-31-2007, 09:41 PM

1,660 posts, read 4,800,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whome? View Post
Our price range is $350k.

We chose Maplewood because it seemed to have the best combination of commute(to manhattan)/affordability/safety of anywhere I could find. I've been able to talk to a couple people who live there who like it.

As for the other towns, is it realistic to find something decent in that price range? What would the commute be like? And what parts of those towns would it be wise to avoid?

41Willys: Care to elaborate? A response like that just isn't very helpful. I know that much of Maplewood is extremely nice. Is it the specific area I mentioned that you think is the hood? How bad is the hood in maplewood? Is the entire stretch of Springfield bad? If not, which parts are?
Sorry to rain on your parade but Springfield ave is garbage! Drugs/crime not very safe at all.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:01 PM

All of it?

What about the rest of Maplewood? Where is it better? What other parts should we avoid?

Again, can you PLEASE be more specifi? We need help.

Thanks.

Old 03-31-2007, 11:00 PM

114 posts, read 188,792 times
Quote:
My family is planning on moving to Maplewood in the next month or so.

Anyone here live there? Can anyone tell me about certain parts of the town to avoid?

The houses in our price range are generally close to Springfield avenue. Which parts along there are better than others (or worse than others).

I've heard that the east side isn't as nice. Is the south side just as bad?

Any info would be great.

Thanks.
I live in Maplewood and honestly there are some parts of Maplewood that are better than others. The areas closer to the business areas are not as nice as the heart of maplewood however all in all the town has and outstanding reputation and a great educational system

Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Your basically moving to the Hood.
Umm sorry but I live in maplewood and have never seen a hooded part of maplewood lmao i'm sorry it's just a bunch of kids who are wannabees everybody in this area is hardworking middleclass citizens not like stuck up short hills or livingston people no offense to any who are from that area

Old 03-31-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
All of it?

What about the rest of Maplewood? Where is it better? What other parts should we avoid?

Again, can you PLEASE be more specifi? We need help.

Thanks.
yuo might want to consider moving closer to the train station basically the village area of maplewood that'll be the best area However a little costly

Old 03-31-2007, 11:10 PM

2,877 posts, read 5,710,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41Willys View Post
Sorry to rain on your parade but Springfield ave is garbage! Drugs/crime not very safe at all.
Yeah...when it cuts through Irvington it can get a little rough. But the Springfield ave that cuts through Maplewood are parks, aesthetically pleasing businesses and a library. Drugs/crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey