Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 07:13 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
It doesn't say that at all. The OP INFERRED that in order to stir the pot. There is no color test to get the scholarship. It merely says minorities and women. It doesn't even say which minorities.

I am not sure I understand what you are saying, in the US there is only one majority Whites so I am not sure what you mean. The donor specifically mentioned women because, like whites they are not minorities Are you implying we are all minorities. Short left handed jews, Tall brown eyed Irish? Is a white person eligible for the scholarship? If not who else is ineligible for the scholarship?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:15 PM

362 posts, read 774,857 times
usually these donations come from people who have done better, so it's no surprise that minorities will be designated becuase alot of thes scholarships are minority-based........why get mad at that?

Old 04-16-2009, 07:16 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
In the private scholarships world- we are all minorities yes.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
Out of interest, I dug around Montclair States scholarship files. They have a foundation which administers an enormous amount of privately funded and directed scholarships all of which have destinctions. Some are specifically for Men, some for Women, some for African Americans, some for graduates of certain high schools, some for Italians, some defined by the age of the student and a lot according to talent or area of study.

All of them discriminate against anybody who doesn't fit the distinction. So I am discriminated against because I am not a 35 year old part time student who previously was employed by a plumber and donated my kidney to my second cousin. :-) big deal.

As someone pointed out above, just because it isn't fair and leaves someone out does not make it racist and nor does it make those left out "victims".

A selection of some of the privately funded scholarships offered:

For students from the North Ward Center Hispanic Community who plan to attend MSU.

Scholarship for a student who lost a parent in the events of Sept. 11, 2001.

Female full-time freshman, reside in Essex County, 3.00+ HS GPA, Service/leadership, financial need.

Full-time undergraduate student majoring in Math and in good academic standing.

Incoming Freshman who graduated from Brick or Brick Memorial high schools with high SAT scores.

Incoming full-time freshman who wish to major in Chemistry recommended by HS teacher/principal, student will enroll in general chemistry course their freshman year.
Financial support for full-time outstanding talented freshmen students studying string instruments.

Either entering freshman or currently enrolled full-time undergraduate students, must be graduates from Immaculate Conception, Lacordaire, Montclair High or Montclair Kimberly high schools.

Gifted incoming freshman with middle income who are not eligible for financial aid.

Study in a field of modern language outside the United States

Outstanding female undergraduate dance student chosen on basis of talent, contribution, and potential.

Incoming freshman first year students enrolled as full-time music majors studying piano who shows promise as a performer, music therapist or composer.

Full-time undergraduate English majors with a min. cumulative GPA of 3.0
Gifted voice students enrolled in MSU's Music Department

Full-time freshman who is the child or grandchild of an active MSU Alumni Association Member

Interest in Italian culture or language, to further education here or abroad;

To provide emergency loans to fully matriculated students majoring in Psychology

Recipients must be full-time undergraduate male students enrolled in the School of Business.

Presented to a male student majoring in physical education.Male student, in good academic standing, who demonstrates leadership, team spirit, and a desire to make a positive contribution to society.

A male student in good academic standing with a cumulative average of at least 2.5

Part-time student, 50 years or older, enrolled in a degree program.

Cento Amici Scholarship. Full-time undergraduate Italian American students majoring in a program offered by the College of the Arts.
Again, I don't believe anyone would have a problem with a scholarship that is directed at a specific group, they are concerned with a scholarship that omits only one group. I think everyone would be offended by a scholarship that was worded as following. Award scholarships to people who have come from Europe, Asia, North America, South America Australia and Antartica.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
In the private scholarships world- we are all minorities yes.

I must confess I have never heard such a thing. My guess is the donor didn't either.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont care if you acknowledge it, its when you support and implement racist policies to make up for historical unfairnesses. affirmative action is a joke and it only weakens the races that it tries to help.

people who "benefit" from affirmative action end up being jokes. they are dumber than the other people in their fields because they got there on their race and not merit. look at michelle obama. she is an idiot with a princeton degree.
I'm sure she's really feeling hurt and offended as she's reading your comments from the White House..........

Old 04-16-2009, 07:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
Every non-black victim of a black racist criminal. Every one of those white/latino firemen in New England denied a promotion because of the fear of black-agitated lawsuits based on the fact that no black qualified for promotion. Every poor white person who is put at a disadvantage in education/employment because of quotas reserved for blacks or special perks given to blacks. Every one of those people are being discriminated against.
Most of those who are up in arms about "fairness" or otherwise of this policy, fail to get worked up by the unequal access to social and financial resources (e.g. a stable family who can afford to send their child to college) that poses an obstacle to most African Americans.

This story wasn't about a government action -- it was about a voluntary transaction -- much like the voluntary actions of someones parents (who just happen to be the same ethnicity of their children) or social network.

Whether or not we think this donor should decide that their money has to go to a minority, it's pretty hard to make the case that this introduces unfairness that would otherwise not have existed.

If you have a better way to alleviate existing unfairness, you're welcome to do it (with your own money of course, not with the donor's)

Old 04-16-2009, 07:25 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
If you read through this thread- the wording was not the issue. People truly view this as an unfair form of AA.
This is an issue that many Americans get angry about. They will comment w/o even knowing the facts because they are so very angered.

Also city-data is known for its plethora of angry white males.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
If you read through this thread- the wording was not the issue. People truly view this as an unfair form of AA.
This is an issue that many Americans get angry about. They will comment w/o even knowing the facts because they are so very angered.

Also city-data is known for its plethora of angry white males.

I have posted a number of times on C-D that I consider the vast number of posters to be for lack of a better word stupid (mostly in the political forum). I have been posting very sparingly lately because most discussion tend to be tedious devolving into ad hominem attacks. I have found this one to be the least offensive in a while. So quite honestly I am not concerned about what others are saying. I think it is objectionalble that one group is excluded and am suprised anyone is defending the the fact that whites are the only group specifically denied an opportunity for this scholarship.

My biggest concern about these things is I really believe it moves us away from a color/sex/sexual identity/religion etc. blind society.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Again, I don't believe anyone would have a problem with a scholarship that is directed at a specific group, they are concerned with a scholarship that omits only one group. I think everyone would be offended by a scholarship that was worded as following. Award scholarships to people who have come from Europe, Asia, North America, South America Australia and Antartica.
Any scholarship directed at one group omits another.

A scholarship for men omits one group - women.
A scholarship for women omits one group - men.
A scholarship for the families of 9/11 victims omits those who aren't but I don't think anyone would be upset.

The person who made the incredible gift of $5million decided that he or she wanted 80% of it to go to groups that he or she thought (whether rightly or wrongly) were underserved by the university education system - women and/or minorities. The type of minority isn't even described, it could in fact be Latinos, it could be Creoles from Louisiana, who I believe to be white. Truth be told, I don't know their exact criteria for decision making and neither do you, and neither does the OP.

This has NOTHING to do with affirmative action, and for the record I actually agree that AA if it exists at all should be means based rather than racially based, to truly serve the needy.

This is an issue of an incredibly generous person who is now being used to score points. A person who could in fact be a White Christian Male for all we know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey