Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 01:04 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott99999 View Post
But it was frustrating to feel like the scholarships weren't based on a combination of each individual's financial challenges, social values, and merit.
Feel is the primary word in your assessment. Not to sound rude, but "FEEL" has nothing to do with it.
You can feel anyway you want, but the facts of the American social construct still remain.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
I had no aid at all and If I had some money to donate I would probably want all types of students to have a go at it. I don't feel like higher education was ever guaranteed to me. I have felt that things were unfair several times in my life but I also know that I don't have the market cornered on unfairness. The unfairness did not feel good but then- the world is not my oyster. It is not anyone's oyster. I hope the system can be more fair in the future but I have no illusions that it will ever completely be.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:07 AM

469 posts, read 1,640,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldwick04 View Post
Montclair State University receives anonymous $5 million donation - NJ.com

Does that not seem a bit racist? What if someone donated scholarships for everyone except black males? or Hispanic females?
It's not racist - but I think you are finally seeing that it's very "exclusive" - I noticed white men are descrimianted against a lot when it comes to getting loans, etc. for college. Overall, there are really no scholarships, etc. for white males - and the ones that are are also general scholarships which everyone can apply to.

Many times people are angry and say that "well there was slavery or racism or we were the minority, etc. etc." but if you have that kind of attitude then you are 1. ackowledging that this is racial/gender exclusive and you are wrong but really that 2. You are stuck in time and not helping us move forward as a nation (look at how much differences are still pointed out now).

And I am a minority, so I know.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:27 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Default They do Exist

These represent 2 different sides of the equation.

Scholarships that Target White Ethnicities -- Diversity is also White

The White Man's Guide to Getting a Minority Scholarship

Old 04-19-2009, 07:04 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
As a white male who's raising a white male I just say

"suck it up, don't even think of playing the whiny victim card, and just out-work, out-smart and out-hustle the others. Therein lies success. Get it on your own."

Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 AM

2,283 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Apparently this anonymous donor is making his rounds around the country dictating identical terms to other universities as well:

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)

Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM

34 posts, read 93,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Apparently this anonymous donor is making his rounds around the country dictating identical terms to other universities as well:

UMUC Gets Mystery $6 Million Donation (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/local/041709_umuc_mystery_donation - broken link)
Purdue not the only school with mystery donor | IndyStar.com | The Indianapolis Star

Wow. This is getting very interesting.

The schools need to look into this guy before just blindly accepting the money. If he has 45 million to give to these schools, people should know who he is and where he got the money from.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Ummm....you do realize that there are "white males" that are minorities, right? i.e. White Hispanics.

Wrong. European Hispanics are not minorities. If you are prejudiced against because of your accent, then that can apply to anyone who is hungarian, russian, from spain, etc....

Since how can a european hispanic be prejudiced against. What is a european hispanic? It is a person who believes they are 100 percent descended from Spanish European ancestors or they look like they do.

A Spanish person born in Spain or born in Mexico still looks european!

Any prejudice they experience is the fact they speak spanish or with a spanish accent and experience prejudice because they are Spanish! Just like Irish or Italian experience prejudice because they are Irish or Italian or Russian.

This is less prevalent in America. Now days, prejudice is against Mexicans or Central Americans, so you are prejudice against not because of who you are, but because you share a characteristic with a group that is prejudiced against, i.e. people from mexico, central america and south america. Why because they all speak spanish and are all lopped together, althought they are different ethnically and linguistically!!

Dark skin Europeans have traditionally been prejudiced against, but that is much less now than in the 50's and 60's!!

But if person is of 100 percent Spanish Ancestory and is non-Indian, then they are european. And after they lose their spanish accent are not prejudiced against, therefore should not have minority status!!

And yes, you can leave a scholarship for Italian Americans,Lutheran Americans, Spanish Americans, European Americans!! Etc..

So yes, you can exclude Africans or people of non-european ancestory!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey