Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 06:30 AM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,475 times

Advertisements

I'd say Hoboken takes the cake on the most overpriced town
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 07:29 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njsocks View Post
Hi Wiles!LOL ^^^^^^^^^^^

wayyyyyyyyyy too many overpriced homes in NJ!! Ugh!!!95 percent are overpriced lol is right!!!

Eatontown, Tinton Falls----dumpy areas and overpriced too..........Old Bridge,MAtawan---dumpy----but location, location....Live in a rathole but close to NYC! LOL!

Holmdel-overpriced BUT beautiful areas!!! and tons of recreation/parks/etc...taxes suck too..
I'm curious as to why you consider Tinton Falls "dumpy"?

Don't forget the top notch schools in Holmdel!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
All of them around Teaneck, that area is a dump.
way to rag on the OP's new hometown. do you even know that area beyond generalizations or superficial, passing observations?

you're always telling us how great your hometown of moorestown is. and it is a nice area. but in the future, could you do us all a favor and stick to what you know best (moorestown/south jersey)? because you clearly don't know north jersey very well, based on this and some of your earlier posts. you may think you do, but what you've said tells me otherwise.

seriously, let those who actually know north jersey's towns, inside-and-out, to comment on their pros and cons.

and for the record, teaneck is not a dump. it's actually a very decent town with leafy streets, a fair amount of attractive architecture, and a bustling downtown area. the population is racially mixed and includes lower middle, middle, and upper middle income residents. the most expensive homes, located near route 4 in the northwestern section of town, easily cost over $1 million. there are also modest cape cods, generic post WWII-split levels, quaint tudors and colonials, old victorian homes, and so forth. some of these areas are very nice, some not so much, but none of it is even close to being a dump - not even the so-called "hood", which is nothing more than a lower middle class african-american neighborhood.

overall, teaneck's median household income in 2000 was more or less in line with cherry hill, albeit with a wider range of incomes than the latter.

and teaneck's neighbors are all very decent as well. the supposedly "worst" town bordering teaneck is hackensack (which is also mixed income and mixed race), while the other immediate neighbors are mostly middle class or better. go a few miles east, northeast, north, or northwest, and you'll hit some of the more affluent and well-manicured areas of northeast jersey.

but hey, none of this can compare with moorestown, right? because that place is like the center of universe!

Old 04-17-2009, 07:50 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
way to rag on the OP's new hometown. do you even know that area beyond generalizations or superficial, passing observations?

you're always telling us how great your hometown of moorestown is. and it is a nice area. but in the future, could you do us all a favor and stick to what you know best (moorestown/south jersey)? because you clearly don't know north jersey very well, based on this and some of your earlier posts. you may think you do, but what you've said tells me otherwise.

seriously, let those who actually know north jersey's towns, inside-and-out, to comment on their pros and cons.

and for the record, teaneck is not a dump. it's actually a very decent town with leafy streets, a fair amount of attractive architecture, and a bustling downtown area. the population is racially mixed and includes lower middle, middle, and upper middle income residents. the most expensive homes, located near route 4 in the northwestern section of town, easily cost over $1 million. there are also modest cape cods, generic post WWII-split levels, quaint tudors and colonials, old victorian homes, and so forth. some of these areas are very nice, some not so much, but none of it is even close to being a dump - not even the so-called "hood", which is nothing more than a lower middle class african-american neighborhood.

and teaneck's neighbors are all very decent as well. the supposedly "worst" town bordering teaneck is hackensack (which is also mixed income and mixed race), while the other immediate neighbors are mostly middle class or better. go a few miles east, northeast, north, or northwest, and you'll hit some of the more affluent and well-manicured areas of northeast jersey.

but hey, none of this can compare with moorestown, right? because that place is like the center of universe!
Doh!

Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM

162 posts, read 546,292 times
I use to live in Clifton and it was not bad. We were actually 5 blocks from Montclair. Also when I lives there, I lived in a gated community with 2 football players. I think they were from the Giants. It's really not bad but the schools are not great.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:28 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
This should read "95% of New Jersey towns are overpriced".
That about sums it up..Nj as a whole is overpriced

Old 04-17-2009, 09:58 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,965,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Why would you want to move out of Livingston? I was just there and it's like a breath of fresh air.
I don't have kids (and don't plan on having them), so I'm basically flushing money down the toilet with the property taxes. But depsite that, though, I really, really would have liked to settle in Livingston for the long haul, if the township weren't so completely reckless with the budget. I don't mind paying the taxes if I think they're being used effectively, efficiently and for the benefit of all (and that's including the school system for which I have no use...well, now anyway...it served me quite well as an elementary/middle/high school student). However, more and more in this town, it seems that the taxes go to benefit the extravagant agenda of only a handful.

I also think the town is becoming an over developed & confused hodge podge of random & useless structures. It's like the town is trying to be too many things at once and failing miserably in all directions.

Plus, I'm really turned off by the hypocritical show of "Going Green!" in Livingston, while the township allows acres & acres of trees to be chopped down for parking lots and the next big development project. Traffic on South Livingston Ave. is getting ludicrous. Not to mention, the recent revaluation that we just had was a complete scam and left a really bad taste in my mouth (my taxes did not go up, so this isn't about sour grapes).

Old 04-17-2009, 10:02 AM

1,577 posts, read 5,687,834 times
That's how i feel about a lot of Hudson County let alone Morris county... Very overpriced. I mean yes Bergen and Passaic Counties are expensive but look how close they are to NYC and you actually can get a decent deal in a nice area with A LOT to do(Hackensack, Elmwood Park, Fair Lawn, Hawthorne etc)
In Hudson county you are very close to NYC but JC isn't that safe and buying a home there is very hard f you want a good, or even a decent deal, and forget it when it comes to Hoboken. Bayonne is iffy, it's still pretty overpriced. At least in Morris you get beautiful scenery and fresh air.
You can get a nice 4 bedroom home in Hackensack for the same price as a 2 bedroom condo in Hoboken.

But don't get me wrong, I love Hudson County, but it's ridiculous to own a home there.. Renting there is great though IMO

Old 04-17-2009, 01:14 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Based on what? Driving through it a couple of times?
eeeerrr uhh NO! I have alot of friends who live in Mt. lakes. I'm very familiar with the town...over-rated

Old 04-17-2009, 02:05 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
eeeerrr uhh NO! I have alot of friends who live in Mt. lakes. I'm very familiar with the town...over-rated
How is it over-rated?

Mountain Lakes is exceptional I think, not only because it has good schools, a good location, beautiful surroundings (with narrow winding hilly roads, several lakes, and majestic homes), but because the borough has a very strong connection to its past. I believe about half of the homes are hapgoods dating back to when the place was first settled in the early 1900s, and there are stringent regulations to keep it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey