Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:45 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Actually, it's a 3.4 million dollar home on the lake w/ 32K taxes... I guess that makes it a bargain then . The question posted by the OP is "which town do you (me) feel is overpriced".... Mountain Lakes - that's my answer! You're entitled to your opinion.... so am I
Seriously if they told you they have a house with taxes of 32k and they are on the lake then they lied to you big time if they say the house is valued at 3.4 million. Not a chance. Look it up and let me know! I bet you a beer it's not worth over 2 mill....

NJ Tax Records Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 07:25 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,621,877 times
Westfield, Bay Head. Saddle River. IMO are 3 of the towns with the most OVERPRICED homes in the state . Before I get "mugged" all are wonderful communities.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:39 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
There may be A LOT of them considering a lot of towns are expensive.

But i just want to see some answers.
I'm moving to Teaneck in May and the taxes there are one of the worst, but the actual housing prices wern't that bad considering its location.
I'd agree with the majority of the people here who say pretty much ALL NJ towns are overpriced. After traveling the nation I can see that you get so much more in other states for the same money. In NJ, I can get a one bedroom apartment, most likely it will be upstairs of a 2-family (and all the hassle that comes with that set-up), possibly a parking spot, and nothing extra special, somewhat small...all for a bare minimum of $1000.

In Arizona or Las Vegas I can get a one or possibly a two-bedroom apartment for the same price, either way it will be bigger, most likely will have a community with a pool, gym, on-site parking, and some kind of free utility usually like hot water or even cable TV (depends on the complex), and it will be more attractive with palm trees and nicely landscaped grounds. In someplace like Ohio I can get a nice garden apartment for $500-700 a month which will be bigger and include a utility or two, and it will be in a very nice, sedate neighborhood.

Same thing with homes - the $500,000+ for a 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath home in Bergen County could buy me a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3-car garage home with more property in other parts of the nation like NC, Texas, Arizona, etc.

On the flip side, salaries are higher here. Then again, so are other costs besides housing.

The only places I have found to be as overpriced as NJ are the Boston area, Southern California, and, probably the MOST expensive I have seen, the SF Bay area in California. All these places have one thing in common - they're VERY desirable places to live with a lot to offer; but they're overpriced, because they know people will pay.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:09 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,959,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
The only places I have found to be as overpriced as NJ are the Boston area, Southern California, and, probably the MOST expensive I have seen, the SF Bay area in California. All these places have one thing in common - they're VERY desirable places to live with a lot to offer; but they're overpriced, because they know people will pay.
Ummmmm................. Yes. The rest of your rant was not needed.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:11 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Ummmmm................. Yes. The rest of your rant was not needed.
Your rude comment just now wasn't really needed either.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:16 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
Quote:
I'd agree with the majority of the people here who say pretty much ALL NJ towns are overpriced. After traveling the nation I can see that you get so much more in other states for the same money. In NJ, I can get a one bedroom apartment, most likely it will be upstairs of a 2-family (and all the hassle that comes with that set-up), possibly a parking spot, and nothing extra special, somewhat small...all for a bare minimum of $1000.

In Arizona or Las Vegas I can get a one or possibly a two-bedroom apartment for the same price, either way it will be bigger, most likely will have a community with a pool, gym, on-site parking, and some kind of free utility usually like hot water or even cable TV (depends on the complex), and it will be more attractive with palm trees and nicely landscaped grounds. In someplace like Ohio I can get a nice garden apartment for $500-700 a month which will be bigger and include a utility or two, and it will be in a very nice, sedate neighborhood.

Same thing with homes - the $500,000+ for a 3-4 bedroom, 2 bath home in Bergen County could buy me a 6 bedroom, 3 bath, 3-car garage home with more property in other parts of the nation like NC, Texas, Arizona, etc.

On the flip side, salaries are higher here. Then again, so are other costs besides housing.

True.. That's why people who sell a house in NJ and buy in NC feel like it was the easiest thing to ever do. But in all reality, if you were born and raised in NC and try buying a home it will feel about the same when compared to NJ because the jobs probably pay almost half the amount you'd get paid in parts of NJ, so when it comes to buying a house, it's all relative. (except for property taxes)

Old 04-19-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
True.. That's why people who sell a house in NJ and buy in NC feel like it was the easiest thing to ever do. But in all reality, if you were born and raised in NC and try buying a home it will feel about the same when compared to NJ because the jobs probably pay almost half the amount you'd get paid in parts of NJ, so when it comes to buying a house, it's all relative. (except for property taxes)
I agree completely. Funny you mention NC, I have several friends who moved there, and after the initial benefit of buying the bigger home because they had more money from selling a home here, the reality settled in that their salaries there were proportionate to the lower mortgage payments - it was all a wash. For the ones who love living there that wasn't a problem, but a couple of people wanted to return to NJ and it is now very difficult for them to do that.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:11 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,948,569 times
We all biyatch about NJ...but there are many good things about living here as opposed to other states and they come with a price tag..... better doctors/hospitals, better schools, relatively low crime, better services.... it is what it is.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,790,034 times
Quote:
I agree completely. Funny you mention NC, I have several friends who moved there, and after the initial benefit of buying the bigger home because they had more money from selling a home here, the reality settled in that their salaries there were proportionate to the lower mortgage payments - it was all a wash. For the ones who love living there that wasn't a problem, but a couple of people wanted to return to NJ and it is now very difficult for them to do that.
I think if you are re-locating (as did I), you'd better do your 'due dilligence' when it comes to the job one will be obtaining, and what future prospects your salary can or will be when it comes to re-locating to that area. In my case, when I re-located, I knew my salary was going to be comparable to what I was making in New Jersey. In large measure, that's why we decided to leave. I would never re-locate to North Carolina (or any other state) to accept a position that paid lower, relative to the cost of living in NJ. Such a move then becomes a wash, and to me, not worth the hassle. Moving sucks. Why would anyone want to undertake such a massive proposition, only for it to be a lateral one?

Old 04-20-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think if you are re-locating (as did I), you'd better do your 'due dilligence' when it comes to the job one will be obtaining, and what future prospects your salary can or will be when it comes to re-locating to that area. In my case, when I re-located, I knew my salary was going to be comparable to what I was making in New Jersey. In large measure, that's why we decided to leave. I would never re-locate to North Carolina (or any other state) to accept a position that paid lower, relative to the cost of living in NJ. Such a move then becomes a wash, and to me, not worth the hassle. Moving sucks. Why would anyone want to undertake such a massive proposition, only for it to be a lateral one?
That's my point... I see far too many people get caught up in the "Jersey sucks, North Carolina is BETTER! I'm moving to North Carolina! I can't wait!!" attitude that they don't do their due diligence and they don't research things properly and they move there thinking it's "just better". It's the classic "the grass is always greener" cliché... Some people just don't think much beyond hating what they have and where they are and will make rash decisions based on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey