Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:44 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
I totally agree, but what if it comes down to 2 days or lose your job?
The common folk in corporate America have been giving back, companies have frozen wages, suspended 401k matches and some have even asked employees to take pay cuts or cut hours, when that doesn't work in the big picture the lay offs start.

The difference being most of corporate America ar non union employees so there is no one to make a big stink for them, you barely even hear about it unless you know some one that it's happened to.

IMO....2 days is nothing compared to the alternative of people losing their jobs because the unions don't want to give an inch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 08:12 AM

821 posts, read 2,037,670 times
A relative is a state worker and this is his take on things and he dont even make near 60,000 a year people have this notion that all state worker get paid big bucks and thats just not true everyone wants to take the state problems out on state workers but they are regular folks just like you trying to make ends meet - they pay the same taxes like you do (high), they pay the same car insurance (high) they pay the same gas (high)... they struggle just like every other NJ person.
You want to talk about insurance but theirs better out their in the private sector i'm proof of that I pay Health is free, 5 co-pay, 3-5 persciption, dental free if I want and to top it off I get off one extra day the he doesn't and no i dont have some fancy job just lucky i guess. I say all of this because stop preaching to the Chior its the politicians that put the state as a whole in this position its the politicians that drive fancy cars and go home to thier mansions not the average state workers.

P.S. My relative has absolutly no problem taking the two days off and of course he prefers that to layoffs. We both think all this protesting is a bit much for two days.

Also, he wife got laid off two months ago so he feels the same krunch everyone else feels.

in case anyone is confused about the furlough days its one day in the month of May and one day in the Month of June.

Last edited by JC JC Mom; 04-17-2009 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Add on something important

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
The state could easily eliminate 25% of the payroll. In this context, nobody should complain.
and then some. these state employees are worthless. lay them all off.

it should not be legal for government to negotiate with labor unions. they have no respect for the taxpayers who get stuck overpaying for crappy workers that do nothing.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
A relative is a state worker and this is his take on things and he dont even make near 60,000 a year people have this notion that all state worker get paid big bucks and thats just not true everyone wants to take the state problems out on state workers but they are regular folks just like you trying to make ends meet - they pay the same taxes like you do (high), they pay the same car insurance (high) they pay the same gas (high)... they struggle just like every other NJ person.
You want to talk about insurance but theirs better out their in the private sector i'm proof of that I pay Health is free, 5 co-pay, 3-5 persciption, dental free if I want and to top it off I get off one extra day the he doesn't and no i dont have some fancy job just lucky i guess. I say all of this because stop preaching to the Chior its the politicians that put the state as a whole in this position its the politicians that drive fancy cars and go home to thier mansions not the average state workers.

P.S. My relative has absolutly no problem taking the two days off and of course he prefers that to layoffs. We both think all this protesting is a bit much for two days.
Sounds like he/she has a head on their shoulders..2 days off without pay beats the alternative of being laid off and only collecting 60% of that lousy pay..and you never know if you will be the one getting the ax

The state is crying in the SL today that revenue is down...didn't collect the sales tax they anticipated..does anyone of them have a clue people don't have the money to spend therefore no sales tax collected

Old 04-17-2009, 11:46 AM

Actually the big picture is 12 days one each month and he plans on laying off close to 9000 workers if they don't agree to this

Corzine says 9K layoffs likely if state workers don't agree to furloughs - NJ.com

Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 AM

59 posts, read 183,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
The common folk in corporate America have been giving back, companies have frozen wages, suspended 401k matches and some have even asked employees to take pay cuts or cut hours, when that doesn't work in the big picture the lay offs start.

The difference being most of corporate America ar non union employees so there is no one to make a big stink for them, you barely even hear about it unless you know some one that it's happened to.

IMO....2 days is nothing compared to the alternative of people losing their jobs because the unions don't want to give an inch

So true....I am one of those common folks in corporate america who didn't get a raise this year, and is facing either another salary cut or layoff when we get a more clear picture in the next few months. As for some of these indignant people who are crying about losing 2 days pay; they can go pound salt.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post
So true....I am one of those common folks in corporate america who didn't get a raise this year, and is facing either another salary cut or layoff when we get a more clear picture in the next few months. As for some of these indignant people who are crying about losing 2 days pay; they can go pound salt.
us in the private sector are supposed to 1. lose our jobs 2. take pay cuts 3. lose raises while government workers not only give up nothing BUT THEY WANT TO INCREASE TAXES ON WORKING PEOPLE THAT ARE ALREADY STRUGGLING. because clearly government is more important than the people that fund government.

even though they do nothing for us except suck money from our paychecks. get a % from everything we buy. steal our money and put it into a phony giant ponzi scheme thats supposed to be for our retirement but they spend it all and it wont be there when we retire.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleinnout View Post
I agree, even the 12 days, 1 day a month beats 60% percent of your salary to a max of Five hundred something on the unemployment roles with no health benefits

These people need to look at the bigger picture

Old 04-17-2009, 12:11 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
you folks could have applied for a job in the government... it is well known that government workers generally dont make as much $ as they could in the private sector and they dont have the oppurtunity to earn more then like 80k. The trade off for that are good benefits and job security.

thats just the way it is, and the way it has been for years

Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
you folks could have applied for a job in the government... it is well known that government workers generally dont make as much $ as they could in the private sector and they dont have the oppurtunity to earn more then like 80k. The trade off for that are good benefits and job security.

thats just the way it is, and the way it has been for years
government workers are too dumb and lazy to work in the private sector. they are overpaid and have better benefits than they deserve.

thats the way it really is, and has been that way for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey