U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 09:29 AM

786 posts, read 2,474,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Hmm, if you think someone with a housing budget of 600K is poor, you are very sheltered.
Too poor to be talking like that. I'll give the benefit of the doubt and assume he was trying to make reference to the fact he doesn't want to live in a "slum" by making a joke of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 10:05 AM

4 posts, read 9,713 times
I work in midtown. I'm not sure if that makes the commute better or worse. I looked at the Westfield commute again, because Westfield and Cranford both seem really nice, and Google is saying a little over an hour. Is that realistic?

A 3 Bedroom townhouse would be perfect. What kind of maitenance fees or common charges should I expect to pay for that kind of house in these towns?

Kalim - I know 600k is not a high budget, but we just started working and are hoping to get into a starter house instead of continuing to pay rent. Otherwise we put off the house by a year or two and have the down payment for something more expensive. But yes, I was basically saying I want to live in a place with a certain class of people (probably young professionals like us) and certainly not a place where it would be shocking (or even dangerous) to see people with a lexus or a burberry trench coat.

Also, we would love to have a nice downtown area that is either walkable or not that bad to park by. I know it might sound like I'm asking for too much, but why not shoot for the moon?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:09 AM

786 posts, read 2,474,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekungfuman View Post
Kalim - I know 600k is not a high budget, but we just started working and are hoping to get into a starter house instead of continuing to pay rent. Otherwise we put off the house by a year or two and have the down payment for something more expensive. But yes, I was basically saying I want to live in a place with a certain class of people (probably young professionals like us) and certainly not a place where it would be shocking (or even dangerous) to see people with a lexus or a burberry trench coat.
No problem, I'm just grumpy as usual. The problem with the line crossing cranford/westfield is that it's not direct. It's not only longer, it's tiring too. I used to use the Linden train station when I was a kid (about 10-15 minutes driving away) because i remember that was direct when I dropped by NYC once in awhile.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:12 AM

238 posts, read 1,060,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Hmm, if you think someone with a housing budget of 600K is poor, you are very sheltered.
I think Kalim, like I, got the impression that the optimum community would be one that is upscale when he/she has a middle income budget. Granted that $600,000 will by a nice house in most of NJ but everything is relative when it comes to which towns sport a "designer" image.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM

NormGlo - I see that you are a real estate agent. Do you think it is foolish to try and buy something more modest but in an upscale area now to avoid continuing to pay around $2,700 in rent + parking? Income is in the $200k's, but this is our first year working, so we have not had time to save for a bigger downpayment.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,372,596 times
600K is not peanuts, but it won't necessarily ensure you're surrounded by Lexus-driving neighbors.

Check out Maplewood/South Orange, Millburn, River Edge ... plenty of other town, just be realistic about the commute.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:35 AM

136 posts, read 689,517 times
An hour or less door to door is tough anywhere outside of Hudson County unless you live very close to your train station and you work very close to Penn.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:38 AM

2,161 posts, read 4,520,715 times
WHERE do you live now that your commute is 30 minutes door to door? The only 30-minute door to door commute I can think of is if you live inside the PATH station in Newark, and work at the WTC.

If you work in midtown EAST, a 1-hour door to door commute is pretty much out of the question.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:10 AM

2,161 posts, read 4,520,715 times
Oh, well in that case, you might also consider towns that offer bus service into the Port Authority bus terminal. There are plenty of upscale towns within a 40-45 minute bus ride into the PA, and then the PA is about a 10 minute walk to where you work...this way, you get to cut the subway (and the associated wait times, and having to regularly refill a MetroCard) out altogether.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Oh, well in that case, you might also consider towns that offer bus service into the Port Authority bus terminal. There are plenty of upscale towns within a 40-45 minute bus ride into the PA, and then the PA is about a 10 minute walk to where you work...this way, you get to cut the subway (and the associated wait times, and having to regularly refill a MetroCard) out altogether.
I've been wary about buses, because I'm concerned about traffic. I also get a headache when I try to read on buses, which turns the commute from useful work time or relaxation time into just sitting there waiting to arrive. Are the commuter buses comfortable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey