Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,177 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relocation to BR and would like some recommendations on living within a 30 minute commute to BR. Initially we will rent (preferably a home) and then buy once we get used to the surroundings. Our requirements - Good schools, accessible ammenites, walkable/active community, safe. Budget-wise, I am expecting to pay 2000-3000k/mos. I know I will be in for sticker shock when we buy but we would go smaller in terms of home size to be in the right area with a shorter commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCisHome View Post
I am considering a relocation to BR and would like some recommendations on living within a 30 minute commute to BR. Initially we will rent (preferably a home) and then buy once we get used to the surroundings. Our requirements - Good schools, accessible ammenites, walkable/active community, safe. Budget-wise, I am expecting to pay 2000-3000k/mos. I know I will be in for sticker shock when we buy but we would go smaller in terms of home size to be in the right area with a shorter commute.

The first communities that spring to mind are Madison, Chatham, Mendham, Basking Ridge, and Bernardsville. All of which have top notch schools, (some of the best schools in the country) and are active towns with a walkable downtown area (though in BR, Bernardsville and Mendham, the downtown area is quite small) You will be able to find townhouses, duplexes and small homes for ~3000k a month. All will have a commute of 30 min or less.

You may also want to consider Morristown, as it is a bigger town with more shopping, restaurants and night life. The schools are quite good, though not quite as highly regarded as the other towns mention previously.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Last edited by KoalaNJ; 09-14-2012 at 10:18 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,977,097 times
Start with Basking Ridge! If you start out renting, that would give you a great base to get to know that town and surrounding area. BR is pricey, but it does offer all that you're looking for.

And you'd achieve a great commute, which is hard to come by!

Old 09-14-2012, 09:52 AM

3 posts, read 8,177 times
Thanks for the great information. I like the idea of starting from a good base to then explore the surroundings. I expect that we will go in to NYC often. Any idea how long it takes to get to Manhattan from BR assuming drivng to train and taking train in. I am wondering if it makes sense to consider eastern edge of 30 minute radius to be closer to NYC. In that case, Chatham may work.

Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation for a real estate listings lookuop with that has good search criteria. I did find NJMLS but sometimes certain realtor sites have better search functions.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,453,021 times
Quote:
Thanks for the great information. I like the idea of starting from a good base to then explore the surroundings. I expect that we will go in to NYC often. Any idea how long it takes to get to Manhattan from BR assuming drivng to train and taking train in. I am wondering if it makes sense to consider eastern edge of 30 minute radius to be closer to NYC. In that case, Chatham may work.

Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation for a real estate listings lookuop with that has good search criteria. I did find NJMLS but sometimes certain realtor have better search functions.

Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Chatham, Morristown, and Madison all have train stations with midtown direct trains, which take approx 65/75 minutes (depending on which station you depart from) to get to Penn Station in midtown NYC. The one thing I would warn you about is parking...all of the towns are full of daily commuters into NYC, so you will need a parking permit, and at some towns there is a waiting list for permits. (though there are a limited number of daily parking spaces, they fill up fast/early and are costly) There is plenty of parking available at the Morristown station, and no wait for a permit. Fortunately Madison and Chatham are relatively small, so chances are your rental will be within walking distance to the train station. (or biking distance, as there are lockers and racks available)

As far are good sites for finding rental housing, you can try nj.com and go to the real estate section, they seem to have very good listings. NJ Apartments for Rent - NJ.com

By the way, when looking for homes in Basking Ridge, search for Bernards Twp, as Basking Ridge is a part of the Twp.

HTH
KoalaNJ

Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM

127 posts, read 261,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfFull View Post
Start with Basking Ridge! If you start out renting, that would give you a great base to get to know that town and surrounding area. BR is pricey, but it does offer all that you're looking for.

And you'd achieve a great commute, which is hard to come by!
I agree. Despite having high taxes and a ritzy reputation, Basking Ridge has plenty of affordable rental developments with townhouses and condos galore. The cheapest of which is Society Hill, which I would recommend first, where condo rentals run about $1400/mo. A bit more expensive is Spring Ridge and more expensive than that is The Cedars. All three of these communities are linked by Spring Valley Road. The Cedars has the best urban planning of the three and would be my first choice if money were less of an object. You could probably get a townhouse in the Cedars for about $2300/mo.

If those quotes are too high, maybe you could check out Bernardsville on the Northern side of 287. Bernardsville has more disparity in its wealth, meaning more ultra-rich and more working class. I am sure you could find a cheaper condo in Bernardsville.

An even less expensive option than the Somerset Hills is to go further Southward down the Watchung Mountain slope into places like Green Brook and Bound Brook. These places are MUCH more blue collar (and the latter is quite flood-prone) but I would bet the real estate is MUCH cheaper.

Hope this helps

Old 09-14-2012, 11:02 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Chatham, Morristown, and Madison all have train stations with midtown direct trains, which take approx 65/75 minutes (depending on which station you depart from) to get to Penn Station in midtown NYC. The one thing I would warn you about is parking...all of the towns are full of daily commuters into NYC, so you will need a parking permit, and at some towns there is a waiting list for permits. (though there are a limited number of daily parking spaces, they fill up fast/early and are costly) There is plenty of parking available at the Morristown station, and no wait for a permit. Fortunately Madison and Chatham are relatively small, so chances are your rental will be within walking distance to the train station. (or biking distance, as there are lockers and racks available)

As far are good sites for finding rental housing, you can try nj.com and go to the real estate section, they seem to have very good listings. NJ Apartments for Rent - NJ.com

By the way, when looking for homes in Basking Ridge, search for Bernards Twp, as Basking Ridge is a part of the Twp.

HTH
KoalaNJ
Chatham and Madison are sometimes more expensive than BR since they are technically closer to NYC. B-Ville is about on the same page, maybe a little cheaper. Morristown has a nice commute to BR, and is likely cheaper for home buying.

Warren is also nice BUT likely a bit more pricey than BR with lower taxes. If you are a buying a house you have to always look into how the home might be more expensive but yet the taxes are lower. On the contrary, you could spend less up front but pay more over time as the taxes tend to be higher in a place like BR (*hint* with the high taxes I wouldn't consider buying in BR unless you find an incredible deal)

Some other good options near BR: Bedminster, Watchung, Scotch Plains, Harding -- all within 20 minutes from Basking Ridge via back roads.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 AM

2,098 posts, read 3,523,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
I agree. Despite having high taxes and a ritzy reputation, Basking Ridge has plenty of affordable rental developments with townhouses and condos galore. The cheapest of which is Society Hill, which I would recommend first, where condo rentals run about $1400/mo. A bit more expensive is Spring Ridge and more expensive than that is The Cedars. All three of these communities are linked by Spring Valley Road. The Cedars has the best urban planning of the three and would be my first choice if money were less of an object. You could probably get a townhouse in the Cedars for about $2300/mo.

If those quotes are too high, maybe you could check out Bernardsville on the Northern side of 287. Bernardsville has more disparity in its wealth, meaning more ultra-rich and more working class. I am sure you could find a cheaper condo in Bernardsville.

An even less expensive option than the Somerset Hills is to go further Southward down the Watchung Mountain slope into places like Green Brook and Bound Brook. These places are MUCH more blue collar (and the latter is quite flood-prone) but I would bet the real estate is MUCH cheaper.

Hope this helps
Cedars could be a little lower like $1900ish a month for one of the smaller units

Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:

Lastly, does anyone have a recommendation for a real estate listings lookuop with that has good search criteria. I did find NJMLS but sometimes certain realtor sites have better search functions.
The train to NY Penn station takes between 1 and 1.5 hours from Basking Ridge, depending on the day and time. You usually have to change at Summit. You could just drive to Summit and have roughly a 45 minute train ride. Or, you could just drive to NYC. When I go in on weekends I am in midtown in about an hour.
If you want to stay on the eastern edge of your 30 radius, Chatham, Madison, Summit, Berkeley Heights, Florham Park are all options.

The best and most complete source for real estate listings in the area will be GSMLS.com. The Garden State MLS is used by more agents in the area than any other. Or, talk to an agent familiar with the area about your needs, and have them set up a search, so you can be notified as soon as something comes to market that might work for you.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:37 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,397,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
The first communities that spring to mind are Madison, Chatham, Mendham, Basking Ridge, and Bernardsville. All of which have top notch schools, (some of the best schools in the country) and are active towns with a walkable downtown area (though in BR, Bernardsville and Mendham, the downtown area is quite small) You will be able to find townhouses, duplexes and small homes for ~3000k a month. All will have a commute of 30 min or less.

You may also want to consider Morristown, as it is a bigger town with more shopping, restaurants and night life. The schools are quite good, though not quite as highly regarded as the other towns mention previously.

HTH
KoalaNJ
i would look at Morris Twp. It's basically the same as morristown, but lower property taxes. I don't know much about the school system, but it seems lots of my coworkers live there (i work in basking ridge).

the nice thing to do would be to move further west on 78, where property gets cheaper and cheaper...but your commute will be impacted because then you're driving with the NYC traffic. Clinton is awesome value for the money, but you'd be looking at close to a 50-60 minute commute there i think.

basking ridge is awesome if you can stumble upon a home there that is in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey