Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:49 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
OK look at this: Alpharetta, GA... 7th most expenxive town in GA and at the top tier of schools in Georgia.

Ranks a 9 out of 10 (10 being the highest) in GA..... ranks 4 out of 10 on the same scale nationally.

Mountain Park Alpharetta, GA Neighborhood Profile

Now let's take a town like Carlstadt NJ - not one that anyone thinks to highly of in these parts.

They rank 3 out of 10 in NJ ... but 8 out of 10 Nationally....

Carlstadt, NJ - 07072 - Real Estate Information

Capiche?
Where you getting that from...Alpharetta is a mixed bag..ritzy areas and not so nice areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
I would not say they are all lacking, I'm saying that if you compare NATIONALLY we have stronger schools, overall, in NJ than in GA. Or in PA for example. It's hard to go district by district with this, which is what you'd have to do, but statistically, our so so schools (like Carlstadt) seem to rank better nationally than well to do schools in some states (like Alpharetta GA).

I agree w/ the post that says many of the transplants moving away ARE content to take less education for less $$$. I really do. I have seen it with my friends. And I had friends move back from PA, FL, AZ, and GA.... one of their points of contention were they were not as happy with the schools there.
But for many the cheaper cost of living over rides what may be a lacking school district.
You can always reinforce the education at home or use the $$$$ savings to send to private schools

Old 04-23-2009, 12:52 PM

Default hey Bob Kovacs

Jump in here....what do you think of the schools your kids are going to in Atlanta compared to where you were in Jersey

Old 04-23-2009, 12:53 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Where you getting that from...Alpharetta is a mixed bag..ritzy areas and not so nice areas
This area of Alpharetta is very well to do...and the town as as a whole is 7th most expensive in GA...

Last edited by EEEPNJ; 04-23-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-23-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
But for many the cheaper cost of living over rides what may be a lacking school district.
You can always reinforce the education at home or use the $$$$ savings to send to private schools
Well, I already send MY kids to private school. LOL Just my personal choice. But I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble of moving away from those I love, uprooting the kids and all to get someplace where I'll have a nicer home, cheaper taxes and worse school OR loose the savings on having to shell out for more education or private schooling.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:59 PM

Here is another:

Cummings GA (first would you want to live in a town w/ that name..lol..I digress..) Top school district in GA 10 of 10 on state scale.....6 out of 10 national.

or lets bump over to SC, where the top rates school district is Lake Murray of Richmond, SC... 10 out of 10 state scale.....ONE out of 10 on a national scale....

Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well, I already send MY kids to private school. LOL Just my personal choice. But I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble of moving away from those I love, uprooting the kids and all to get someplace where I'll have a nicer home, cheaper taxes and worse school OR loose the savings on having to shell out for more education or private schooling.

I agree....but some people seem to make out better and in the end we all have to do what we think is right for our families

Are yours in Catholic school?/ Yikes..I know Pope John in Sparta is up to like $10K it was only $3K when my daughter went..her choice and she was miserable..sooo I said before I shell out any more $$$ and you lose contact with all your friends from middle school are you staying or going back to Jefferson..she opted for Jefferson

Old 04-23-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I agree....but some people seem to make out better and in the end we all have to do what we think is right for our families

Are yours in Catholic school?/ Yikes..I know Pope John in Sparta is up to like $10K it was only $3K when my daughter went..her choice and she was miserable..sooo I said before I shell out any more $$$ and you lose contact with all your friends from middle school are you staying or going back to Jefferson..she opted for Jefferson
Catholic HS's are through the roof now. Mediocre Catholic High Schools in NJ are about $7k-10. Good Catholic High Schools are $10 and up. VERY pricey. But HS enrollment, overall, has grown.

Elementary schools tend be be in the $3 to $7k range. Taking into account some give discounts to parishioners, Catholics or those that donate time to the school... on average, about $4500 per year for most. It's cheaper, but still not cheap.

BUT BUT BUT this is where you can see the abuse in the public school system.... Catholic Schools in NJ are educating kids on about $7k per year.... public schools tend to be double that and some with good results, some with abysmal results.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:07 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,251 times
Here they voted yes ugh.......I went to De PAul (years ago of course) I loved it but I dont have a clue how the they run now. Its too costly for me to send my son there.........

Old 04-23-2009, 01:09 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
You know what I think though, ultimately, the schools are secondary to the parental culture in the aforementioned districts. If there is a culture in place to emphasize the value of achievement through education, the faculty can look pretty damn good in the face of it. The reverse is also true. So, I guess what I am saying, at least partially, is that when you carve up smaller amounts of land, as in the case of NJ municipalities, you increase the chances of being in a subset of a community that really values education. The larger the population you add to that same school system, the greater the likelihood you water down the scores. And I think that's what is really at the heart of some NJ schools testing out higher than other places: you are using geography, and lowering class size to create a more exclusive enclave of population that is inclined to achieve. It's the old taxes vs services paradigm that has been bandied back and forth in this forum forever, this segment of the argument can buttress the 'services' crowd (which UKOK seems to side with) over the 'lower taxes' crowd.

There is another active thread here about races keeping with each other in NJ. Someone made mention that he felt NJ was more segregated than places in the south. I think the argument I just put forth has a lot to do with it.
Of course you are right. The parent’s involvement and attitude have a TON to do with school results.

My point really was with the poster (and those that agreed so vehemently) that said that my kids can get the same education they are getting in NJ elsewhere in the USA while only paying $1k in property taxes. I find this statement silly, inflammatory and impossible to believe but I'm willing to be proved wrong. Add perhaps I'll move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey