Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:20 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
why do you care? what do you expect some kind of utopia where people of different races can hang out and hold hands and sing kum by yah?
great attitude....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
"Being lazy"? Why do people feel it's necessary to make a conscious effort to have a mixed bag of friends? As several people have mentioned above, IMO, it's about common interests- not about common skin color or common ethnicity. My kids have friends who are white, black and asian, as do my wife and I- we didn't actively work to develop that blend of friends- it just happened.
That's cool and the way it should be, Bob. You like who you like because of shared values and interests...and that's great. I'm that way too. I think the problem arises with some when they falsely think that ONLY their race, ethnicity, religion etc. can MEET those needs.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:12 PM

111 posts, read 319,301 times
I don't think it is true different groups don't mix in NJ. I grew up in Jersey City, the most diverse city in the state and one of the most diverse in the country. I have friends of all different races and ethnicities and I see the same all over the city. It has more I think to do with your comfort zones and interest. It might also have to do with where you were raised to some degree. Even with in the city the neighborhoods that are less diverse tend to have less friends of different groups. You can easily find many mixed groups of people if you walked around Newport Mall in my city. Even my high school was the most diverse in the state and many different nationalities hung out together.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:35 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,688,474 times
Funny you say "especially in northern NJ" because that's the diverse part of NJ

I see a lot of kids hang out with all sorts of groups. I do see more that don't though... IMO the white people in northern NJ segregate themselves from other races. Black's too. Hispanics are everywhere, though they tend to have their sections too.
Really, no state will you find a white person living next to a black person following a jewish family who's in front of a spanish family.. it just isn't common yet.

It's kind of ridiculous because some Black people can afford better places then the ghettos some live in
and some White people live in places they can barely afford to live in.
^ Just to be with they're own group of people

Hispanics are the closest ones to not segregating themselves.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:56 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Have you ever been to the South
I've lived in the South and I was surprised at the amount of segregation in NJ.

Given the high percentage of affluent areas, it's probably due to economic reasons more than anything else.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:01 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I would never assume that people can afford to live in a better neighborhood.
That is very presumptuous.
Minorities may have legit reasons for searching for a place to live that has many of the same.
Some of the threads here on city-data don't really reflect the reality of living in NJ. Especially the religious targeted inquiries. There is not that much religilous segregation expect in the case of the extremes.

In real life I have never heard a reformed Jew ask about how many jews there were literally in two side by side communities. Most people don't care.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
i dont understand why kids are being targeted with this question. are adults any different?

Old 04-23-2009, 03:34 PM

111 posts, read 319,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Really, no state will you find a white person living next to a black person following a jewish family who's in front of a spanish family.. it just isn't common yet.
Maybe no state is like that but my block was like that so are some neighborhoods. I had Italian, Philipino, Puerto Rican, Ecuadorians, Irish, African American, Guyanese, Jamaican, Dominican, Egyptian etc. all with in a short walk on my block of where I lived in the Heights.

Old 04-23-2009, 03:40 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,046,883 times
I don't think it's just kids.. many adults do the same.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I don't think it's just kids.. many adults do the same.
I think adults do it MORE so. Kids are more colorblind, imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey