Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:07 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,485 times

Advertisements

Am I making any sense here? I find it extremely odd that there are people living in the bad areas of Irvington, Newark, East Orange, Camden even feel more comfortable in their homes and neighborhoods yet you have people living in Somerset County or Sussex County armed with AK-47 and Desert Eagles in fear of being robbed in their own home or murdered. Am I missing something here? I'm not saying that the people that live in those bad areas aren't paranoid about crime now but not to the extend where they're arming themselves with guns and all sorts of weaponry. Relying on a bunch of newspaper articles doesn't help your cause either. I read my town's newspaper daily and I read about my fellow neighbors cars getting stolen, houses being broken into but that doesn't scare me to the point where I need a gun now. No offense but some of you are making me say to myself what's wrong with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 PM

392 posts, read 842,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Am I making any sense here?
No.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:18 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
No.

I believe I'm making sense here. I don't understand why someone living out in Warren County in the boondocks on a farm where they have a fully operational police force (I know this for a fact because they harassed me just for driving off Route 78 twice) would feel that they're more at risk for a crime than somebody in Newark or Irvington. Are any of you aware of your environment or surroundings? I felt more safer in Warren County and Somerset County than Newark or Irvington with the exception of the police who seem to be trigger happy over in Warren County especially.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,917,977 times
I don't think suburban people feel "more at risk" for a crime. Perhaps, however, in the case a crime does occur, we're not used to it and refuse to accept it like the folks in the high-crime areas.

I personally don't know anyone who goes to bed clutching an AK-47 or a Desert Eagle, nor do I know anyone who cowers in fear over being robbed or murdered in the middle of the night. In fact, wasn't there a thread earlier on here asking why people in the suburbs don't even bother to lock their doors? They don't sound too nervous to me.

Old 04-22-2009, 08:58 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
Quote:
I believe I'm making sense here. I don't understand why someone living out in Warren County in the boondocks on a farm where they have a fully operational police force (I know this for a fact because they harassed me just for driving off Route 78 twice) would feel that they're more at risk for a crime than somebody in Newark or Irvington. Are any of you aware of your environment or surroundings? I felt more safer in Warren County and Somerset County than Newark or Irvington with the exception of the police who seem to be trigger happy over in Warren County especially.

when you are out in Warren county, if something does go down, it can take 15-20 minutes for police to arrive....

You would be stupid not to have a gun.

But i agree that some of the people here are scared of their own shadow. seriously people on here have been scared of running in a park in the suburbs.... get over yourself. cant live life in fear

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,975,444 times
New Jersey actually has some low crime areas ????

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
But i agree that some of the people here are scared of their own shadow. seriously people on here have been scared of running in a park in the suburbs.... get over yourself. cant live life in fear
I agree; some people here make it seem as if some cities are post nuclear war disaster areas.

When I lived in the heart of LA (near the USC campus), I frequently walked all over the place during daylight, although kept nearer USC at night (Not out of fear though, it's just you couldn't do what I was doing at night). A few years later, we had the rodney king thing going on over there, and rioting close to USC.

When I lived in N Plainfield, I used to drive slowly all over the place, into plainfield, etc. I liked the place, it was very colorful and lots of beautiful older model land cruisers and supras. It certainly never occured to me at the time that this was a "dangerous" area (plainfield).

Of course, you knew there was crime, but you also figured if you were careful and not stupid (e.g. lingering in dark alleys) you should be ok. People are people after all. You treat them right, they most likely will treat you ok right back, no matter what the color, ethnicity, or religion.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:13 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
I don't know anyone in Warren or Sussex Counties that fits your description.

The numerous gun owners I know just enjoy shooting guns and/or hunting, they don't have them because they're living life scared.

To answer your question, you're not making sense to me.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:46 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,586 times
Quote:
Am I making any sense here?
No.
In most of the suburban world there is very low paranoia-within that world itself.
There are people who have a low tolerance for urban areas in general terms but that is exception to rule-many people are just more choosy than others.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:16 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,625,083 times
Yes, you are making perfect sense. Even if I never knew anyone like that, your post makes sense. That being said, I have met people like that. I can think of two people that I know who otherwise seem like reasonably normal people, who have a small arsenal of weapons (one has a stash buried in his backyard) and seem to be preparing for WWIII and the first half of WWIV.

I've been involved in martial arts and self-defense programs for about 20 years, and I sometimes come across people who have an unusual level of paranoia. These people are uber-vigilant about their protection and the protection of their families. They seem to have investigated every possible avenue of self-defense, and have roleplayed every possible violent crime in their minds over and over until it's hard to lift the fog. It's unhealthy and seems to self-perpetuate, feeding on fear. When I ask them if they have ever been the victim of a violent crime, their answer is almost always 'no'. They almost all live in relatively safe areas.

It makes me wonder what the seeds of this condition are.

Someone should tell these people that one of the best self-protection tools out there is a good pair of running shoes.

If you are at all interested in this topic or the topic of self-protection, there are two books on self-protection that are very good- 'The Gift of Fear' by Gavin DeBecker, and even 'Strong on Defense' by Sanford Strong. These books differ in their scope and philosophy of self-protection, but they are both excellent. I usually recommend those books to people if they are interested in self-protection but don't want to go off the deep end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey