Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 02:53 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
exactly. how do these folks expect anyone that is under 35 years old to be able to buy a house in Northern Jersey?
what, you mean that at your age you're still not making $81K per year ?

either you get help from your parents, or you don't buy a house

Quote:
These prices are out of control
I guess you weren't in NJ during 2004 - 2006 ?

Quote:
and I hope they continue to fall (which they will).
ahhh, hope springs eternal.

I hope I win the MegaMillions tonight too.
if I do, I'll give $100 to each of the super-bears on here...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 03:05 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
now you have morons in government like obama trying to go back to the horrible situation and "free up money for the banks to lend." thats code for "start lending irresponsibly." the market is correcting and the government is trying to destroy it still.
that's not the root cause -- don't you realize that the theives on Wall St. bundled the mortgages into securities, so that they wouldn't bear the risk ?

by doing so, housing is now inextricably linked to the health of the overall economy. no way out.

cheering for housing to deteriorate is equivalent to welcoming another Great Depression.

let's just hope for a flat-line from here on out.

New Jersey will always be expensive, but at least now (with the interest rates so low) the monthly payments will be a smaller percentage of your take-home pay.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:09 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
that's not the root cause -- don't you realize that the theives on Wall St. bundled the mortgages into securities, so that they wouldn't bear the risk ?

by doing so, housing is now inextricably linked to the health of the overall economy. no way out.

cheering for housing to deteriorate is equivalent to welcoming another Great Depression.

let's just hope for a flat-line from here on out.

New Jersey will always be expensive, but at least now (with the interest rates so low) the monthly payments will be a smaller percentage of your take-home pay.
the securities were bundled by the corrupt GSE's (fannie mae, freddie mac, etc.) and then sold to the wall street firms as securities. you are buying the president's and other politicians propaganda that this was wall streets doing. the government is to blame for this. its amazing we are looking to the cause of the problem (government) to solve it and all they can do is add more corruption.

whether i cheer for housing to detoriorate or not makes no difference, its the reality. same for the depression, its reality. much like FDR's new deal, what obama is doing will drag out this depression much longer than it should last.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
if they didnt bear the risk then what are the "bad securities" that they have on their books? they are the mortgage backed securities created by the GSE's and sold to these firms as extremely low risk assets backed by a theoretical government guarantee.

why were these loans given so frivolously? because the GSE's (thanks to help from corrupt politicians) were lowering the standards of the loans that they would accept to be bundled by these securities. so a mortgage broker could sell the mortgage, make lots of money, and pass the risk along.

let me make this clear GOVERNMENT IS TO BLAME FOR THIS MESS.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Bergen County. Logical. North Jersey - 1. Sucks to me, 2. is likely to have a harder landing.
Your North Jersey hate has been well documented on this site. Let it go already.
You're the same guy scared of some suburbs because they have black people, right?
That in & of itself speaks volumes.

Old 04-24-2009, 03:59 PM

268 posts, read 761,379 times
Quote:
"sales of new single-family homes dropped, but inventories plummeted at a record pace"
Umm, that's only because people are opting not to move because of the terrible economy. Inventory is not replenshing because far less people have listed their homes for sale this spring.

Some sellers are also holding out because they can't get what they could get last year or the year before for their house. Well, hope the have a lot of patience cause it's gonna be a while before they can command those types of prices again!!

Old 04-24-2009, 05:06 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,632,408 times
Quote:
No, what's inextricably linked to the health (or lack thereof) of the overall economy is how much debt America takes on, as a nation and we as individuals.

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...financial.html

"beyond the balance sheet, David Beim has a much more profound reason why banks shouldn't lend .... [W]hat is happening to us is something that goes way beyond toxic assets in banks, it’s something that had little to do with mortgage securitization, or ethics on Wall Street, or anything else. It says the problem is us. The problem is not the banks, greedy though they may be, overpaid though they may be. The problem is us. We have over-borrowed. We have been living very high on the hog. We are, our standard of living has been rising dramatically over the last 25 years, and we have been borrowing to make much of that prosperity happen."

Old 04-24-2009, 05:59 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
at least you admit it, many (if not all) of the super-bears who post here have the same motivation for the incessant threads on pricing.
What "motivation" would that be ?

As a potential buyer, I obviously would prefer it if prices fell.

Also, as a potential buyer, I am interested in analyzing the housing market.

However, as a potential buyer, I would just go out and buy now, if my analysis indicated that, as you often state, affordability is at an all time high.

My "super bearishness" is partly due to the context -- there are some housing markets where prices are genuinely quite reasonable now. NY/NJ, far from being one of them, is actually one of the worst.

As for the supposed tendency to "spread doom and gloom", this is not a sinister conspiracy to try to cause a fall in housing prices by posting on this forum -- we understand that we don't have the power to do this. But when I participate in public discussions, I do like to correct misinformation, and in my book, claims that "affordability is at an all time high", "NJ has always been expensive", etc, are misinformation.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
what, you mean that at your age you're still not making $81K per year ?
81k doesn't get you very far in this market.

I believe you already posted your salary, and suffice it to say, you're lucky you bought in 1998 -- because in today's market, it wouldn't get you very far.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:14 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,515,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Your North Jersey hate has been well documented on this site. Let it go already.
You're the same guy scared of some suburbs because they have black people, right?
That in & of itself speaks volumes.
I don't hate north jersey, I dislike most of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: