Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 AM

174 posts, read 622,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
What is your max budget? I would think Mahwah would have to have more... seems really odd. They have MANY complexes. You may want to consider Nutley too. Clifton may also be an option, the schools are not as good though.

Where will you be traveling to in NYC? If you can take the train, beleive it or not sometimes you are better off in a town like Metuchen or Colonia or Edison than you are closer. Why? You get the train at MetroPark and you are in NY quicker than if you are in many Northern NJ towns.

Rutherford and Lyndhurst may be options, but the Condos there tend to be older, more "garden apartment" like. There are some others too, they were through the roof, but they may have come down. You can also check Hasbrouck Heights & Wood-Ridge, they don't have a lot of condos, but there are some. They re building a new place right on the border of these 2 towns, can't hurt to check it out.

I am looking to spend about 250K
I will look into the other towns as well. As to the Little Ferry, I have heard many different comments about the town, what is your opinion about it? Here is the address of the condos I would like to see but maybe you know if it's worth it. Could this be a flood zone? 58 Main Street, L.F.

Again thank you so much for the info!!!

P.s.
I work in Midtown Manhattan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
Hackensack.

Hackensack average home prices have dropped really low this year. the average home in Hackensac is now around 200k now!? And it's in Bergen County with a great commute to NYC

Hackensack has a lot of apartments along Prospect St and a lot with NYC views. It's a good commute from the George w. Bridge (about 10-15 minutes), It's fairly safe and diverse, and it's the biggest city in Bergen County.
If anything, with your budget, you can get a 3 bedroom high rise in Hackensack.

Good luck
I'm not so sure about Hackensack. Worst than Little Ferry I hear...

Old 04-28-2009, 03:12 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caro257 View Post
I'm not so sure about Hackensack. Worst than Little Ferry I hear...
Hackensack has some so called "rough areas" but it also has really beautiful sections of the city (Summit ave, Springfield ave)
The area where most the high rises and condos are on Prospect St. Which is another nice section of Hacensack is where this OP would be looking... People who judge Hackensack negatively don't know anything about it or are from a little beyond safe suburb who experienced the cultural shock of the diversity of Hackensack.

The violent crime rate in Hackensack is 191 in every 100K people, yea that's up there for Bergen County, but it's the biggest city in Bergen County and it's far from dangerous.. NJ state average is 321 in every 100K.. And LITTLE FERRY!?!?! LF is so far from dangerous it's ridiculous... Blue collar doesn't mean "bad area"
Hackensack is safer than the CD's beloved expensive Montclair...

The ignorance about Hackensack, Little ferry, and a lot of other towns people consider bad on the NJ forums are ridiculous.. You know, some people might like diversity.

Hackensack overall is a nice fairly safe, very diverse city.. but people tend to bash it because of what they're used to... A little frustrating

Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Mahwah?
might need a higher budget than 250k for mahwah.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:59 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
Quote:
Hackensack has some so called "rough areas" but it also has really beautiful sections of the city (Summit ave, Springfield ave)
The area where most the high rises and condos are on Prospect St. Which is another nice section of Hacensack is where this OP would be looking... People who judge Hackensack negatively don't know anything about it or are from a little beyond safe suburb who experienced the cultural shock of the diversity of Hackensack.

The violent crime rate in Hackensack is 191 in every 100K people, yea that's up there for Bergen County, but it's the biggest city in Bergen County and it's far from dangerous.. NJ state average is 321 in every 100K.. And LITTLE FERRY!?!?! LF is so far from dangerous it's ridiculous... Blue collar doesn't mean "bad area"
Hackensack is safer than the CD's beloved expensive Montclair...

The ignorance about Hackensack, Little ferry, and a lot of other towns people consider bad on the NJ forums are ridiculous.. You know, some people might like diversity.

Hackensack overall is a nice fairly safe, very diverse city.. but people tend to bash it because of what they're used to... A little frustrating
In reference to my bold faced lettering
Oh whoops, you're the OP.

And another thing.. 250K isn't going to get you a lot in the section your looking at in NJ. So extra safe and beautiful is not going to be 250K and under.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
In reference to my bold faced lettering
Oh whoops, you're the OP.

And another thing.. 250K isn't going to get you a lot in the section your looking at in NJ. So extra safe and beautiful is not going to be 250K and under.
I am aware that my budget isn't as generous but I am not looking for a house. I thought I can get a condo in that price. It is so frustrating to look for an apartment, I would love to move already and am so confused where to look at this point.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:31 PM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
I am aware that my budget isn't as generous but I am not looking for a house. I thought I can get a condo in that price. It is so frustrating to look for an apartment, I would love to move already and am so confused where to look at this point.
I think you just need to visit some more of the towns listed...and look at realtor.com for condos in the ones you like. I remember when we were looking for an apt it was kinda fun and an adventure.

Have you considered going farther west? The area around Denville/Rockaway is pretty ok, and Denville has an ok downtown.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,119 times
Quote:
Hello again, Caro. The problem is, for the towns you're considering, $250k isn't a lot for a 2-bedroom townhouse/condo. The good parts of New Jersey are VERY expensive, as you're finding out. For your budget, I would try towns like Union, Roselle Park, Hackensack, Fairview, Boonton, etc. It may not be perfect, but it's decent and should definitely fit your budget. Good luck.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Hello again, Caro. The problem is, for the towns you're considering, $250k isn't a lot for a 2-bedroom townhouse/condo. The good parts of New Jersey are VERY expensive, as you're finding out. For your budget, I would try towns like Union, Roselle Park, Hackensack, Fairview, Boonton, etc. It may not be perfect, but it's decent and should definitely fit your budget. Good luck.

Yeah, it looks like it's just not enough. Oh well...gotta start somewhere

Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM

786 posts, read 2,663,223 times
Quote:
Yeah, it looks like it's just not enough. Oh well...gotta start somewhere
Holy cr*p! Did you see these new condos..they're priced more than some SF homes....

1 Hale St Unit: 1, Cranford Twp, NJ, 07016 - MLS ID#2661310 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1-Hale-St-Unit-1_Cranford-Twp_NJ_07016_1107473873 - broken link)

Also, not sure whether this is new and you might want to check it out...all the older condos look kinda the same...

Cranford Twp, NJ, 07016 - MLS ID#2674048 - Condo/Townhome/Row Home/Co-Op real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Cranford-Twp_NJ_07016_1108487772 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey