Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 08:02 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times

Advertisements

Some of you may have Cablevision. I don't know but around here in suburban Northern Jersey, it's Comcast. Lately, Verizon Fios has been setting up shop and they're waging a war against Comcast. Comcast has their little three way thing going on with the phone, tv, and internet and Verizon has the same thing. A lot of people are switching over to Verizon service around here because it's cheaper, they already have Verizon phone service (of course) and the tv service offers way more channels than Comcast Digital Cable. Verizon even has MTVU on there and that's something hard to get.

Me, I like Verizon in terms of its television service. There's a lot of tv channels to watch from. But with the internet, I prefer Comcast. Comcast Net was fast and Verizon's on the other hand can be very slow. Another thing, I'm using an old computer so in order to have my web service work, I had to buy like an extra part from Radioshack (No help from Best Buy. They were giving my mom an attitude when she asking them about the adapter to attached to the back of the computer.) in order to plug the wire for Verizon's modem ot work. Comcast on the other hand, you just buy any modem box, they give you a cable, you hook it up and you're good. It's easy and quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 06:29 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
Do you have to sign a contract for Verizon? After the first year, how much will it increase?

Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Those of you looking at deals - pay attention to what you are looking at.
I priced Verizon a few months ago - a neighbor said she was switching to FIOS. The packages I saw were not for FIOS but for what they call high speed, which is garbage.

Verizon "High speed" Starting at $17.99
Verizon FIOS - starting at $44.99
comcast

Old 04-25-2009, 08:02 AM

989 posts, read 1,877,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Those of you looking at deals - pay attention to what you are looking at.
I priced Verizon a few months ago - a neighbor said she was switching to FIOS. The packages I saw were not for FIOS but for what they call high speed, which is garbage.

Verizon "High speed" Starting at $17.99
Verizon FIOS - starting at $44.99
comcast

High Speed is DSL, correct?

Old 04-25-2009, 08:19 AM

Yes, but the Verizon "high speed" has issues from what I know.
One of my neighbors had it, there were always issues trying to get online.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,862,267 times
we've been paying 39.99 for fios for 2 years. not sure when it's going to get bumped up. i think that is pretty reasonable though. it is very fast, and very reliable. It is 5 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I could up that to 10 Mbps down (I see no need) if I would "bundle" it with our VZW cell phone plan (no increased charge). I'll probably renegotiate if/when it goes up.

this is coming from someone who does not like verizon.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
we've been paying 39.99 for fios for 2 years. not sure when it's going to get bumped up. i think that is pretty reasonable though. it is very fast, and very reliable. It is 5 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. I could up that to 10 Mbps down (I see no need) if I would "bundle" it with our VZW cell phone plan (no increased charge). I'll probably renegotiate if/when it goes up.

this is coming from someone who does not like verizon.
FIOS is supposed to be awesome & totally different then the high speed I linked to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey