U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:39 AM

2,010 posts, read 3,413,668 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Whippany since i was 13, didn't like it so much because i moved from the Bronx to there and they were still building the development we moved into, i thought it was hickville compared to NYC. It wasn't, and i grew to love it and i always will be a Jersey girl!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 01:17 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,177,536 times
New Jersey was great back in the day and it is great now. We truly live in a wonderful state.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:19 PM

5,969 posts, read 8,177,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izannimda View Post
Newark was and is still a horrible place to live.
Not true Newark has some great neighborhoods.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:53 PM

140 posts, read 431,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
Not true Newark has some great neighborhoods.
ha!

Old 04-25-2009, 02:53 PM

4,334 posts, read 12,632,407 times
Wow! Valley Fair! My parents would take us there when we were little. It was on Kinderkamack Rd. in Hillsdale. We got our first puppy Pebbles from there. They had pups in the outdoor garden section all the time.
Remember Grand Way? That was on Rt. 17 and also the Paramus Ice Skating Rink? Korvettes became Caldors and now it Kohls. (Rr. 4 Paramus)
I remember a club I think on 17 called The Golden Plow? That was way back when.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:14 PM

393 posts, read 1,002,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I've gotta tell you - my neighborhood is still kind of like that.
Cool! EEPNJ, when can we move in ??

Old 04-26-2009, 01:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 12,931,867 times
LOL - anytime Silgogirl! Seriously, I have awesome neighbors. Not overly "in your business" types. But when there is an emergency - there are a good core 6 families we can all count on 1-2-3. Another 6 or so that would also come through, if the first 6 were not available! It's not perfect, but it's nice.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:45 PM

516 posts, read 1,812,654 times
I remember route 9 in Monmouth County being one lane each way (early 70's) and actually being able to cross it to get to Steinbach's. At this point I cannot even imagine trying to cross that highway nowadays.

I remember Two Guys, Grand Union, fireworks and carnivals at the Freehold Racetrack (years before Chili's and Barnes and Noble were built in half of the parking lot). Record town (what are records? LOL), Mister Donut.... and, of course, being able to stay out all day long without parents worrying. We simply came home for dinner and that was that. Things are so different now.

I remember camp or "rec" trips to Manasquan when there used to be a waterslide, the Haunted Mansion in Long Branch, the indoor amusement park in Asbury Park... the list goes on and on.

BTW, I'm feeling quite ancient at the moment!

Old 04-26-2009, 10:15 PM

513 posts, read 1,544,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
Wow! Valley Fair! My parents would take us there when we were little. It was on Kinderkamack Rd. in Hillsdale. We got our first puppy Pebbles from there. They had pups in the outdoor garden section all the time.
Remember Grand Way? That was on Rt. 17 and also the Paramus Ice Skating Rink? Korvettes became Caldors and now it Kohls. (Rr. 4 Paramus)
I remember a club I think on 17 called The Golden Plow? That was way back when.
I'm with you, Blondie! Grand Way and Korvettes, along with Alexanders, were my Mom's regular shopping places. Funny, she worked at Wallach's at the Garden State Plaza, but the stores there were out of our budget.

I don't yet recall the club you mentioned, but I do remember the Chimes restaurant across from Grand Way. The building is still there; it's been Metropolitan Plants (I think I've got the name right) for years.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:51 AM

916 posts, read 1,626,136 times
There used to be a drive in movie theatre on Route 3 back in the day before all of that area was built up. There is a blast from the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey