U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 06:16 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,671,045 times

Advertisements

Some names of stores from the Way-Back Machine:

Korvettes
Bradlee's (already mentioned)
Two Guys (already mentioned)
Rickel's
Channel Home Center
Great Eastern (the one I remember is where the Lowes Theater is now on Route 1, which reminds me...)
U.S. 1 Flea Market
The Hub Cap Store (still in existence down by Brunswick Zone in North Brunswick)

And from North Jersey, a few of the restaurants my parents used to go to. The majority of which have been replaced by either PJBlands (if you haven't seen the new ads for Chilli's they are pretty good) or one of the other stupid theme restaurants.

Bertha's
Burn's Country Inn
The Copperhood
The Fin and Claw
Mayfair Farms
Robbin hood
Scordato's
Two Sisters

And one still in existence, Pal's Cabin.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:26 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post

Korvettes
Bradlee's (already mentioned)
Two Guys (already mentioned)
Rickel's
Channel Home Center
Great Eastern (the one I remember is where the Lowes Theater is now on Route 1, which reminds me...)
U.S. 1 Flea Market
The Hub Cap Store (still in existence down by Brunswick Zone in North Brunswick)

And from North Jersey, a few of the restaurants my parents used to go to. The majority of which have been replaced by either PJBlands (if you haven't seen the new ads for Chilli's they are pretty good) or one of the other stupid theme restaurants.

Bertha's
Burn's Country Inn
The Copperhood
The Fin and Claw
Mayfair Farms
Robbin hood
Scordato's
Two Sisters

And one still in existence, Pal's Cabin.
Yep...Now NJ looks just every other state in the Union,,,One big strip mall with all of the same stores and no individual character whatsoever.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 AM

3,087 posts, read 3,660,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Jamesway
Woolworth's
Gino's (burger chain)

Old 04-27-2009, 08:25 AM

2,715 posts, read 10,091,175 times
Arthur's Treachers.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:37 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,671,045 times
JG183, Wow! I forgot about Gino's.

izannimda, you are right. nothing but cookie-cutter malls now.

Here are a few more stores:

Abraham&Strauss
Alexander's
Ames
Bamberger's (when I was younger and my parents talked about the store, I thought is was a place that made hamburgers)
Caldor's
Crazy Eddie's
Fannie Farmer Candies
Foodtown
J.J. Newbury's
Kresge's
Levitz
Loft's Candy
Nationwide (electronics)
Neisner's (in Irvington)
Nobody Beats the Wiz
Platypus (an upscale boutique food store in East Brunswick)
Stern's
Whelen's Drug Store

A few more restaurants:

The Coach and Paddock (Clinton just off I-78)
The Ground Round
The Homestead (more of a bar in Highland Park)
The Wooden Nickel (it's not Arthur's on Georges Road in North Brunswick)

Old 04-27-2009, 09:09 AM

149 posts, read 536,068 times
When we moved from NYC to White Meadow Lake I was not yet in kindergarten. Ours was one of the first homes in the development. Our house was surrounded by woods which were great fun to explore as a boy. Houses sprung up quickly around us over the years. I remember having bottled milk delivered. There was a Dugans bakery truck that would sell breads and cakes. The closest shopping was Rockaway Sales and later Shop Rite on Rt 46 in Rockaway. Later a Two Guys went in near Dover. Most of the retail stores nearby were in Dover - Newburys, W.T. Grant, and Woolworth. For a special treat we would go for O'Dowds ice cream in Pine Brook. There was a pitch and putt golf course and for a short time trampolines near there. To many fools got hurt there and they were taken out. When I was little, my grandmother and I would walk to the town of Rockaway (a long walk I don't know how my grandmother did it) and take a bus to go shopping. We would go to Dover or Morristown (Bambergers and Epsteins) or Newark. There were a number of stores to shop in near Washington Park in Newark. Hahnes, Kresges (sp.), Macys and others whose names I've forgotten. On Rt 46 in Denville there was a Drive-in that had a very unusual neon sign. It was sort of a showgirl doing a leg kick. When the sign was lit you could see the leg going up and down. We never went there (too decadent for my family ) but it always fascinated me as a boy. The movies we went to were either at the Baker theater in Dover or the theaters in Denville or Boonton. In Boonton you walked in under the movie screen and faced the audience until you got your seat. I always found that interesting. There were also the Drive-in theaters in Ledgewood, Morris Plains, and Parsippany/Pine Brook. I remember playing in the neighborhood all day long with a quick break for lunch and then staying out until my mother would come out and yell for me to come in for supper. When I was a young adult and teen I remember hitch hiking all over and never giving it a thought. We rarely went out to eat. A couple of restaurants I remember were Llewellyn Farms, Travelers Diner, and the 3 Sisters.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:24 AM

8,243 posts, read 18,021,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
boy that second picture reminds me of old NY. All you need is a chinese place and the french connection. Boy I miss gritty old NY!
The "Midnight Cowboy" gritty NY, right Marilyn? This gritty old NY? :

Brutal New York - 1965/95 - SkyscraperCity

I remember it being this way back in the early 70s, when I still had family in the Bronx, the late 70s when I would frequent NYC on various class trips in school, and in the early 80s when I was first able to drive. I prefer today better.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 AM

403 posts, read 1,079,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Arthur's Treachers.
I remember they had one one Bloomfield Ave and my grandmother used to take me there.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:38 AM

2,715 posts, read 10,091,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
I remember they had one one Bloomfield Ave and my grandmother used to take me there.
Yep that's the one I always went to.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:47 AM

515 posts, read 1,633,853 times
Jackies Lemon Ice in Belleville. The petting zoo in Kearny down the street from 2Guys. Used to stop there all the time as a kid. Loved going up the huge escalator in 2 Guys, it was right by the windows and it felt like you were going to the top of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey