Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 05:42 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Some names of stores from the Way-Back Machine:

Korvettes
Bradlee's (already mentioned)
Two Guys (already mentioned)
Rickel's
Channel Home Center
Great Eastern (the one I remember is where the Lowes Theater is now on Route 1, which reminds me...)
U.S. 1 Flea Market
The Hub Cap Store (still in existence down by Brunswick Zone in North Brunswick)

And from North Jersey, a few of the restaurants my parents used to go to. The majority of which have been replaced by either PJBlands (if you haven't seen the new ads for Chilli's they are pretty good) or one of the other stupid theme restaurants.

Bertha's
Burn's Country Inn
The Copperhood
The Fin and Claw
Mayfair Farms
Robbin hood
Scordato's
Two Sisters

And one still in existence, Pal's Cabin.
Wow! Was'nt there a Great Eastern Mills in Hackensack? At the end of Main St.? That is really going back....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:06 PM

119 posts, read 472,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Cousin Brucie was WCBS Radio.

There is still a Foodtown in Manalapan.

I am still sad about The Rt. 18 Market closing. And for what? More housing?
There's still a few Foodtowns scattered around. I saw one in a few places, a Super Foodtown off rt 9 in Galloway (or Smithville, whatever it's considered).

Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
I grew up in Newark during the 80s and 90s.. The worst time for Newark.

I lived in the 7th Ave area, south of Branch Brook Parka nd that area was ok, it was considered an Italian area but that wasn't the case in my era, which was fine because I had great neighborhood friends. People asked why my mother lived in Newark when she had my sister and I at the age of 19 because she was living in her parents in a nice area of the Bronx, but she just wanted to escape but didn't realize you need money, a good job, and a good education to survive in NJ as a young single mother of twins... So there i grew up. I went to one of the better public high schools around MLK Blvd, "Arts School", and that was a good school but it was just not good years during my high school years (96'-99) and gangs were outrages on the west side, and a lot of my schools population was from the west side, and i think atleast 1 person would be killed in each one of my school years due to some sort of crime. It wasn't a good place on the west side but i was in an alright section near Sacred Heart, the biggest gothic cathedral in the country. And there was a bakery that Kat Deluna's mom owned that was great, I was always was at the park with friends, Broad St and Market st were right there, I mean I had good times besides the violent crime experiences but Newark was just not the place to be at that time.
Newark is so much better now, so go figure... I guess i learned a lot from growing up there. Even though my back in the day was only around 97' durng my high school years but Newark did change a lot since then.
When I was 12 or 13 my mom finally went to college and got her masters but the (I guess you can say) the damage was done, I was 18 and in college when she planed on moving to Yonkers. We joke about it now but it's understandable how it was a difficult thing to do when you have a kid let alone twins of a boy and a girl at a young age with no place to go.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM

149 posts, read 410,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
And, an absolute favorite memory of mine, was popping tar bubbles on the streets with my toes. My mother used to hate it, but was powerless to stop us. Why did they have to change the asphalt recipe and ruin all the fun?
Wow... that takes me back! I remember long hot summers and popping tar bubbles.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

149 posts, read 596,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie621 View Post
How about Allison Steel, the nightbird on WNEW FM. I forget the guys name who was before her.
Scott Muni was on in the afternoon, followed by Jonathan Schwartz I think.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:03 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,658,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_d_bear View Post
Scott Muni was on in the afternoon, followed by Jonathan Schwartz I think.
Yes, Scott Muni signed off at 11:59pm to Allison Steel at midnight!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Muni
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Steele

Old 04-28-2009, 05:19 AM

403 posts, read 1,189,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newarkbomb View Post
I grew up in Newark during the 80s and 90s.. The worst time for Newark.

I lived in the 7th Ave area, south of Branch Brook Parka nd that area was ok, it was considered an Italian area but that wasn't the case in my era, which was fine because I had great neighborhood friends. People asked why my mother lived in Newark when she had my sister and I at the age of 19 because she was living in her parents in a nice area of the Bronx, but she just wanted to escape but didn't realize you need money, a good job, and a good education to survive in NJ as a young single mother of twins... So there i grew up. I went to one of the better public high schools around MLK Blvd, "Arts School", and that was a good school but it was just not good years during my high school years (96'-99) and gangs were outrages on the west side, and a lot of my schools population was from the west side, and i think atleast 1 person would be killed in each one of my school years due to some sort of crime. It wasn't a good place on the west side but i was in an alright section near Sacred Heart, the biggest gothic cathedral in the country. And there was a bakery that Kat Deluna's mom owned that was great, I was always was at the park with friends, Broad St and Market st were right there, I mean I had good times besides the violent crime experiences but Newark was just not the place to be at that time.
Newark is so much better now, so go figure... I guess i learned a lot from growing up there. Even though my back in the day was only around 97' durng my high school years but Newark did change a lot since then.
When I was 12 or 13 my mom finally went to college and got her masters but the (I guess you can say) the damage was done, I was 18 and in college when she planed on moving to Yonkers. We joke about it now but it's understandable how it was a difficult thing to do when you have a kid let alone twins of a boy and a girl at a young age with no place to go.
Dude you focused too much on the negative. I lived in the Bricks during the 80's and 90's in the Vailsburg section, right around the corner from Bradley Courts. It was a wild time but as a little kid it didn't really affect me because we had fun. You know ghetto kids make their own fun.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:46 PM

97 posts, read 356,718 times
Thumbs up Check out this New Jersey Facebook page

Check out this About New Jersey facebook blog page I made. I'll be updating it regularly with more info, feel free to contribute or offer suggestions.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:28 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Dude you focused too much on the negative. I lived in the Bricks during the 80's and 90's in the Vailsburg section, right around the corner from Bradley Courts. It was a wild time but as a little kid it didn't really affect me because we had fun. You know ghetto kids make their own fun.
Did you even clearly read my post. I said i grew up in a nice section, next to everything i loved, had great times with friends, and went to one of the best public schools in Newark (Arts)..
I talked about the negative because I wasn't oblivious to it and I really didn't even bring up the big negatives, hence MY LIFE in Newark.. I focused in on both the positive and negative.
I had good times, but there was more harder times. I'm ok with that and glad i went through it because of the person I am today.

"You know ghetto kids make their own fun."
Who the hell are you to even make a statement like that?
Ignorant

Old 12-01-2009, 01:05 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,784,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Korvettes
Bradlee's (already mentioned)
Two Guys (already mentioned)
Rickel's
Channel Home Center
Great Eastern (the one I remember is where the Lowes Theater is now on Route 1, which reminds me...)
U.S. 1 Flea Market
The Hub Cap Store (still in existence down by Brunswick Zone in North Brunswick)

And from North Jersey, a few of the restaurants my parents used to go to. The majority of which have been replaced by either PJBlands (if you haven't seen the new ads for Chilli's they are pretty good) or one of the other stupid theme restaurants.

Bertha's
Burn's Country Inn
The Copperhood
The Fin and Claw
Mayfair Farms
Robbin hood
Scordato's
Two Sisters

And one still in existence, Pal's Cabin.
JG183, Wow! I forgot about Gino's.

izannimda, you are right. nothing but cookie-cutter malls now.

Here are a few more stores:

Abraham&Strauss
Alexander's
Ames
Bamberger's (when I was younger and my parents talked about the store, I thought is was a place that made hamburgers)
Caldor's
Crazy Eddie's
Fannie Farmer Candies
Foodtown
J.J. Newbury's
Kresge's
Levitz
Loft's Candy
Nationwide (electronics)
Neisner's (in Irvington)
Nobody Beats the Wiz
Platypus (an upscale boutique food store in East Brunswick)
Stern's
Whelen's Drug Store

A few more restaurants:

The Coach and Paddock (Clinton just off I-78)
The Ground Round
The Homestead (more of a bar in Highland Park)
The Wooden Nickel (it's not Arthur's on Georges Road in North Brunswick)
Incredible list, you remembered a lot of the ones I do!!!

A few MORE though....

Grant's (5 & dime?) - in Park Ridge, they had the best Santa, and they sold Fabric - my mom used to sew. I remember for a good long time after they were gone, the front door to that building still had "grants" on the handle where you'd push the door, but it all changed when Staples was put in there and the whole shopping center renovated.
Builder's Emporium (part of the Rickels - Channel progression)
Huck Finn in Hackensack, a burger place much like the Fireplace in Paramus. Thankfully the Fireplace has survived!!!
Fin and Claw which you mentioned is now Seasons catering hall
Pier 17 - seafood rest. in Paramus on 17
Valley Fair - I think there's one left, hanging on for dear life in So. Hackensack, a discount department store
Packards (or Packard-Bambergers??) - was next to B&W bakery in Hackensack, now Target is there - was like Valley Fair but seemed to specialize in specialty items a little, like specialty foods
Modell's Shopper's World - Before our current Modell's Sporting goods, there was a chain (same people, I'm pretty sure) of Two Guys-ish stores called Modell's Shopper's World. One of them was right next to the current site of National Wholesale Liquidators in Lodi, right where that brand new small shopping center is, along 17.
Garden State Farms - Krauzer's took them over, essentially the same exact thing, anyway. They specialized in providing inexpensive, fresh, milk though - you kept the jug and brought it back and got a new one that was full, they had signs saying "Jug Milk" and when I was a kid I thought the name of the place was "jug milk"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey