Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:12 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,260 times

Advertisements

Say how Jersey was for you back then during when you were growing up and compare it to now.

Me, I grew up in Irvington. I remember when Valley Fair used to be around back in the 90s. There used to be a Burger King on Springfield Ave as well as Woolworths on the corner of Springfield and New. There used to be a Blockbuster on New Street. The old bus terminal in Irvington Center used to be a small building. David Burr used to be around too. Maple Gardens used to be a rundown area before they revamped it and turned it into a gated community. There used to be an arcade around there back in the 90s. They shut that place down and it was a long time before there was another store that set up shop there.

I also remember there being a Union Mall right where the Home Depot in Vauxhall used to be. It was a ghetto place. They had a dingy arcade and one of those dirty cheap 99 cent stores in there.

The Toys R Us, Lowes and Office Max center around Route 22 and Morris Avenue in Union used to be way different. There was Payless, Kids R Us, Bradlees. A bunch of stores.

New Jersey Transit had commercials back in the day with the theme "the Way to Go"

New Jersey had a rap scene that was well known Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah etc.

Newark used to be really really bad where it was one big depressing ghetto not even built up the way it is now. And the funny thing is that there used to be a Macy's right off of Washington and Market Street back in the early 90s as well as a Woolworths on Broad and Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 08:41 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
LOL - is back in the days the 90's now. Damn, I'm old...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:02 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,643,906 times
My favorite story is my Dad worked on the development of the Meadowlands Sports Complex. This story links with the old Balantine Beer Factory across from Newark Airport. I think it's still a beer factory today. I think its Pabst Blue Ribbon or however you spell that?

Balantine quality control would weigh those 12 oz cans and if one was under weight it was rejected. These rejections were taken and burried where the Meadowlands Sports Complex now sits. That whole area was just a vast wasteland of dumping. The workers would dig up these cans which were perfectly preserved because being under ground kept them cold and the aluminun cans never rusted.

Dad would bring home hundreds of loose cans of Balantine Beer and give them all away because he did not drink. These cans would have 11 oz or 10 oz in a 12 oz can but the beer was perfect.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:04 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,191 times
I recall neighbors always looking out for one another if someone needed a lift to work, or Dr. you cud call on someone.
If you needed a home repair, a few items from the grocery or to watch your neighbors children for a few hours everyone was available.
And, from the Aunties and Grandma's from the street.. your folks always knew what you were up to and given a "full-report" by them by week's end.

Old 04-24-2009, 09:15 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,043,082 times
Ah, memories! I'll give you a couple.

I lived in New Brunswick for 20 years before heading to South Brunswick. So I've seen the decay of New Brunswick and the revitalization I and II. Best of times in New Brunswick was sneaking into the Melody during the mid-1980's, getting real corned beef on rye (with lots of fat) sandwiches from Tabatchnick's in Highland Park, and the old Tumulty's Pub down on George Street right next to the railroad tracks.

For those interested, there is a cool little site at Old New Brunswick that has a bunch of pictures of the New Brunswick area from the recent past and really back in the day as in the 1700's! Here's a couple I enjoy:

For those in Central Jersey, notice Gabowitz TV and Electronics just up from the old Hocky's? Hocky's was a deli that also served great roast beef sandwiches. They are gone. Gabowitz is now on Route 18 in East Brunswick.

Those were the days my friends!

Old 04-24-2009, 09:39 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
hearing a bell being rung in the street, by the guy who would walk by once a week to sharpen your knives & scissors...

Old 04-24-2009, 09:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,947,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
I recall neighbors always looking out for one another if someone needed a lift to work, or Dr. you cud call on someone.
If you needed a home repair, a few items from the grocery or to watch your neighbors children for a few hours everyone was available.
And, from the Aunties and Grandma's from the street.. your folks always knew what you were up to and given a "full-report" by them by week's end.
I've gotta tell you - my neighborhood is still kind of like that.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:53 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
boy that second picture reminds me of old NY. All you need is a chinese place and the french connection. Boy I miss gritty old NY!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:20 AM

989 posts, read 1,876,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Say how Jersey was for you back then during when you were growing up and compare it to now.

Me, I grew up in Irvington. I remember when Valley Fair used to be around back in the 90s. There used to be a Burger King on Springfield Ave as well as Woolworths on the corner of Springfield and New. There used to be a Blockbuster on New Street. The old bus terminal in Irvington Center used to be a small building. David Burr used to be around too. Maple Gardens used to be a rundown area before they revamped it and turned it into a gated community. There used to be an arcade around there back in the 90s. They shut that place down and it was a long time before there was another store that set up shop there.

I also remember there being a Union Mall right where the Home Depot in Vauxhall used to be. It was a ghetto place. They had a dingy arcade and one of those dirty cheap 99 cent stores in there.

The Toys R Us, Lowes and Office Max center around Route 22 and Morris Avenue in Union used to be way different. There was Payless, Kids R Us, Bradlees. A bunch of stores.

New Jersey Transit had commercials back in the day with the theme "the Way to Go"

New Jersey had a rap scene that was well known Naughty By Nature, Queen Latifah etc.

Newark used to be really really bad where it was one big depressing ghetto not even built up the way it is now. And the funny thing is that there used to be a Macy's right off of Washington and Market Street back in the early 90s as well as a Woolworths on Broad and Market.
Newark was and is still a horrible place to live.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:32 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default WTC - my memorial

... summer vacation from school always included a few weeks at grandma and grandpa's apartment in Hoboken -- where I played with my matchbox cars on the windowsill while watching (with nose to the window screen) the World Trade Center being built across the Hudson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey