Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 AM

4 posts, read 33,886 times

Advertisements

What's your vote?

We're in the process of making a choice between homes in each of these towns. Both homes are nearly the same price, the bigger home being in Randolph. My husband will be working in Florham park. We have special education needs for our 7 yr old son. We've heard great things about the schools in Chatham, Madison, and Randolph.

Any advice on which has the better shopping areas, neighborhoods, parks, etc...

It's really a toss-up between these two homes so we're hoping to get some additional advice to send us one way or the other.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 11:51 PM

7 posts, read 52,418 times
Default Chatham's data looks better

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraugibbs View Post
What's your vote?

We're in the process of making a choice between homes in each of these towns. Both homes are nearly the same price, the bigger home being in Randolph. My husband will be working in Florham park. We have special education needs for our 7 yr old son. We've heard great things about the schools in Chatham, Madison, and Randolph.

Any advice on which has the better shopping areas, neighborhoods, parks, etc...

It's really a toss-up between these two homes so we're hoping to get some additional advice to send us one way or the other.

Thanks so much!
From the statistical point of view Chatham township (not the borough) is definitely better. They have the best schools in Morris County. Also, their crime situation is much better: according to NJ state police survey, Randolph has gang presence while Chatham and Madison don't. 2005 crime index for Randolph is 8.3 compared to 3.9 for Chatham twp; Madison's crime index is 11.6. In other words, the probability to become a victim of crime in Chatham twp. is 2 times less than in Randolph and 3 times less than in Madison. Instead of Randolph and Madison, I would recommend Mendham and Chester townships; they have school and crime situation comparable with the Chathams, but the land lots are much bigger. Good luck!

Old 04-04-2007, 05:40 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,680,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeptic View Post
From the statistical point of view Chatham township (not the borough) is definitely better. They have the best schools in Morris County. Also, their crime situation is much better: according to NJ state police survey, Randolph has gang presence while Chatham and Madison don't. 2005 crime index for Randolph is 8.3 compared to 3.9 for Chatham twp; Madison's crime index is 11.6. In other words, the probability to become a victim of crime in Chatham twp. is 2 times less than in Randolph and 3 times less than in Madison. Instead of Randolph and Madison, I would recommend Mendham and Chester townships; they have school and crime situation comparable with the Chathams, but the land lots are much bigger. Good luck!
I think you need to qualify your statements a bit - the fact (?) that Randolph has twice the crime rate doesn't reflect that it is still VERY VERY safe - probably in the top 15-20% of the state. It's the difference between VERY VERY safe (Randolph) and VERY VERY VERY safe (Chatham). Your post gives the impression it's a crime ridden ghetto, which is hardly the case. Also, the schools are great in either place.

To the OP - you can't go wrong with either. They are both great towns (as is Mendham/Chester, but you're looking at HUGE bucks in Mendham). Aesthetically, I would go with Chatham (then Mendham then Chester then Randolph) first. If your desire is the bigger house, then you have nothing to worry about with moving to Randolph.

Good luck

Old 04-04-2007, 10:42 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Give me a break, Randolph does not have a gang presence. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Skeptic, have you ever even visited the area, if you making such absurd statements?

All three towns you listed are nice, Randolph, Madison, and Chatham. They are just different towns. Randolph is more "exurban" than the other two, which are definitely suburban. Madison & Chatham both have a train line into NYC which is something to consider if you want to visit the city on the weekends.

I think out of the three I'd say that Madison has the nicest downtown with restaurants and little shops.

Old 04-04-2007, 04:12 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
Not sure what planet you're getting your numbers from?

Randolph and Madison are both rated 1 and Chatham is rated 2

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 06:53 AM..

Old 04-04-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post

Skeptic must be living in "Bizarro NJ" - lol

Old 04-04-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Skeptic must be living in "Bizarro NJ" - lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post

The crime rates I mentioned in my previous post come directly from NJ State Police:

2005 NJ Crime statistics (broken link)

FBI uses the same data for their annual report. So much for "Bizarro NJ"

Old 04-04-2007, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Give me a break, Randolph does not have a gang presence. That is the most absurd thing I have ever heard. Skeptic, have you ever even visited the area, if you making such absurd statements?
Mead, I live in Randolph area The "most absurd thing" about the gang activity in Randolph is published on NJ State Police website:

2001-2004 NJ Gang Activity Survey

Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Mead, I live in Randolph area The "most absurd thing" about the gang activity in Randolph is published on NJ State Police website:

2001-2004 NJ Gang Activity Survey
OMG! Princeton, Berkeley Heights, Bridgewater, Cape May, FAR HILLS (this CRACKS ME UP - maybe Christie, Malcolm Forbes and Jackie O and John-John when they were alive were part of a gang? Maybe the gang is called the "Blue Bloods", LOL), Hillsborough and Mountainside have gang activity! Run for the hills!

I'm not slogging through 70 pages, but I've seriously got to wonder what constitutes "gang activity" if some of the richest and most beautiful places in the state with zero crime report it.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:37 PM

11,339 posts, read 16,693,938 times
Quote:
The crime rates I mentioned in my previous post come directly from NJ State Police:

2005 NJ Crime statistics (http://http://njsp.org/info/ucr2005/pdf/2005-sect-7.pdf - broken link)

FBI uses the same data for their annual report. So much for "Bizarro NJ"
Bizarro...Linky no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey