Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:44 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,474,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
man, you people are dense

NJ has never been affordable (home ownership-wise) for the median income earner !

stop wishing that the current state of the market will mean that you will finally be able to afford a house

This is downright false. My parents were able to put down a downpayment and pay for the mortage for descent 3br/1.5ba home in a middle-class town with a good school system in North Jersey by working over-time in $8/hour jobs back in 1991; and when I was growing up, they were still able to afford to take us on vacations and stuff(I never felt that we were somehow lacking).

Last edited by TylerJAX; 04-30-2009 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 09:53 AM

4,184 posts, read 5,076,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmonger View Post
Reality does have a bad habit of ruining the Fantasy world we live in.
here's some reality for ya, from

Mortgage Rates Drop Again : HousingWire || financial news for the mortgage market

“Existing home sales stayed near its four-month average in March while new home sales were stronger than the market consensus. More importantly, the inventory of unsold new homes fell to the lowest number since January 2002.

Additionally, the S&P/Case-Shiller 20-city composite index did not show a record year-over-year decline in February for the first time since December 2006."

Old 04-30-2009, 10:02 AM

786 posts, read 2,667,583 times
Quote:

Mortgage Rates Drop Again : HousingWire || financial news for the mortgage market

“Existing home sales stayed near its four-month average in March while new home sales were stronger than the market consensus. More importantly, the inventory of unsold new homes fell to the lowest number since January 2002.

Additionally, the S&P/Case-Shiller 20-city composite index did not show a record year-over-year decline in February for the first time since December 2006."
1. isn't this a national stat - kinda useless for NJ since some states have dropped so low so fast it HAS to bottom out in those places and thus help the national average.

2. You forgot the quote "“The housing market may be edging towards a bottom,”

Notice the qualifiers....MAY, EDGING

3. The last quote is from that discredited association of realtors. I wouldn't hold onto them if they were a life raft and I was on the Titanic.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,282,681 times
Quote:

New York metro showed a record year on year decline in Feb, continuing a run of record yoy declines in Nov, Dec and Jan.

Flat sales in Mar are abysmal, because they usually go up -- the yoy trend is downward.

HTH

Last edited by elflord1973; 04-30-2009 at 10:13 AM..

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,726,239 times
Quote:
thank you for confirming that all real estate is local.

seeing as how they're always dismissed with meaningless statistics & graphs, I've given up trying to prove everything.
where did i say RE WASN'T local? YOU are the one who said houses in NJ in the 300k-450k range are selling fast.

proof is proof, cough it up. unless you can't, then it's called opinion.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
where did i say RE WASN'T local? YOU are the one who said houses in NJ in the 300k-450k range are selling fast.

proof is proof, cough it up. unless you can't, then it's called opinion.
he also posted nation-wide market data a moment ago I think he just likes to have the "all real estate is local" line available as a fallback so that he can selectively ignore any and all data.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
1. isn't this a national stat - kinda useless for NJ since some states have dropped so low so fast it HAS to bottom out in those places and thus help the national average.
Yes, exactly. What happened to "all real estate is local" ? The markets that are bottoming out now either missed the bubble or corrected hard already

Quote:
2. You forgot the quote "“The housing market may be edging towards a bottom,”
Some markets really are leveling out. But not NJ.

Quote:
3. The last quote is from that discredited association of realtors. I wouldn't hold onto them if they were a life raft and I was on the Titanic.
It's true that the composite index didn't set a record, but NY metro did.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:51 AM

392 posts, read 843,286 times
Quote:

JG, here is the best advice you will ever get on this board. Take a break.

You are exhausting yourself trying to wish the problem away. Don't get worked up over the price of RE in NJ. As long as you can afford your mortgage and your renters pay on time, you're golden. Enjoy the American Dream in the nation's #1 state.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:04 PM

612 posts, read 1,012,395 times
Real estate is local, but it's not in a vacuum. The reality is, pretty much any town that made gains in real estate after 2001 were based on false prosperity and loose monetary policy. Any town that saw gains is going to give up a lot of them, whether you are in Princeton or Newark. The idea that prime real estate won't see price declines assumes that it was incapable of ever finding it's true market value for the 30 years prior housing bubble. Point is pretty much moot anyway. Real estate isn't as local as you'd like to believe. Everyone gets their mortgages from the same handful of lenders these days, and all of those lenders are insolvent.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:19 PM

592 posts, read 2,189,680 times
i looked at 77hudson, the prices are no longer on the moon and more close to earth orbit now. Give it 6 months and maybe it will come down to earth provided the whole thing doesnt go bust. They are 20% sold with a june closing date lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey