Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 11:21 AM

2,009 posts, read 3,767,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
AMEN! I loathe loathe loathe spiders. Always have. But I thought it was an unfounded fear. Until 1997. I woke up and my face was practically paralyzed. It was a spider bite. Now I kill the little b@stards anytime I see one.

I feel the same way, i cannot tolerate them, but i do like to watch them spin webs and the webs are beautiful in the morning with the dew on them. Actually spiders intrique me, but no way, no how do i want them in my house, they will die if i see them, if i don't die first from the fright of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:12 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,730,840 times
I used to have a tarantula as a pet. I like big furry spiders. Not sure I'd be happy about a Wolf Spider sharing my house with me, living in the open, in a glass case...maybe.

Did you know, that one of the spiders with the most potent and deadly venoms in the world are the daddy long legs spiders!?!?! Even worse than a black widow. The only reason they are not seen as such a threat is that their fangs are so short they could never penetrate our skin.

I am the offical "Kill anything that even remotely resembles a bug" man in my house. My wife and MIL run screaming. I was once forced to smack a small tack/nail with a rolled up magazine to make them feel better. It did not matter that Im the one that put the tack there in the first place. If my wife saw a wolf spider in the house Id get a call from some neighboring state informing me shes not comming home till the spider is gone and dead and I could provide photographic proof.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea....can I borrow your spider for the weekend??? :-)

Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 PM

32,774 posts, read 36,008,478 times
I've had those. They are big and a bit scary. Yeah, I put them outside too. They are not the scariest spiders that I've ever seen. When I lived in Europe, in the basement, in the laundry where there was a sump pit, there were HUGE spiders that would jump when you went near them. I have no idea what they were but I don't want to see them ever, ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdweisman View Post
for the record. i didn't kill it. but this wasn't any ordinary spider. i leave regular ole spiders alone. this one was the size of a small Chihuahua!!!!!

Old 05-01-2009, 07:16 PM

315 posts, read 1,089,169 times
i thought i was being a grown up and not freaking out. last night i had a melt down. since i originally called the exterminator for my crickets, that's why he was here and he put down stuff to kill them. after seeing two dead ones and one still alive, i threw in the towel on my maturity and threw a small tantrum. i HATE, HATE, HATE bugs!!!!!! now i can't walk into my garage without checking the whole place out. i don't leave the windows open in my car. i'm afraid of what it could do to my dogs if it ended up in the house. wha-a-a-a-a-a!!!!!!!!! this is when i wish i had a man to kill the nasty little buggers!

Old 05-02-2009, 12:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,730,840 times
There are ALWAYS willing men to be found. The question is how "willing" are you?

I keed I keed :-P

Old 05-02-2009, 07:36 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,625,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, my wife has some irrational fear of lizards (she grew up in puerto rico). i asked her if i could just get rid of it and she said no, it must die. it was probably 2am and i wanted to sleep so it had to be done.
Those little lizards are harmless....poor little guy!

Old 05-02-2009, 07:41 PM

4,334 posts, read 13,625,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
I used to have a tarantula as a pet. I like big furry spiders. Not sure I'd be happy about a Wolf Spider sharing my house with me, living in the open, in a glass case...maybe.

Did you know, that one of the spiders with the most potent and deadly venoms in the world are the daddy long legs spiders!?!?! Even worse than a black widow. The only reason they are not seen as such a threat is that their fangs are so short they could never penetrate our skin.

I am the offical "Kill anything that even remotely resembles a bug" man in my house. My wife and MIL run screaming. I was once forced to smack a small tack/nail with a rolled up magazine to make them feel better. It did not matter that Im the one that put the tack there in the first place. If my wife saw a wolf spider in the house Id get a call from some neighboring state informing me shes not comming home till the spider is gone and dead and I could provide photographic proof.

Hmmm, that gives me an idea....can I borrow your spider for the weekend??? :-)
That reminds me. The guy that used to fix my car had Tarantulas as pets. He would put one in the customers car sometimes for a joke. I would have had a heart attack if one of those huge things crawled on my leg while I was driving. I would guess he knew the customers pretty well that he did that too!
I remember when I was 17, I left my car at a friends overnight, because when I got in to drive home a big spider was on the inside windshield.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 AM

11 posts, read 18,216 times
woah.. i found 3 spiders on my shower curtain last week after it rained.. bugs seek shelter indoors when the ground is too wet.. spring is definitely bug season.. i know it's scarey.. i didn't even shower that morning `=P but they eventually disappeared when the sun came back out.. THANK GOD!

Old 05-03-2009, 10:33 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,078,842 times
I'd consider letting some live depending where they were in the house, and then I found out that the avg person swallows something like 7 spiders in their lifetime while they sleep, since then all have perished within my sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey