Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:26 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I wouldn't rent an apartment that reeked of curry. Since I'm not Indian or Chinese I'm amused by the whole pot calling the kettle black thing. I wonder if the smell of boiling potatoes ever bothered my old neighbors.
No, but I am sure all that cabbage did! Before and After cooking!

Old 05-02-2009, 04:59 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallguylehigh View Post
Thats outrageous, he's just trying to get $100 out of you. Like Lusitan said, if he can measure it, more power to him.

I thought, landlords were, by law, required to repaint and refinish the floors of an apartment when one tenant vacated. Those two things, if he was going to do them, would remove the odor.
Absolutely not.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:09 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,888,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Nobody has touched on the fact that it is absolutely silly to take someone to small claims court for $100. You'll spend $25+ of that in fees alone, plus whatever your time is worth. He knows you're not going to do this. And I do think a $100 charge for removing the smell is very fair. I have heard of landlords charging $500+ to remove smells. Cleaning materials may be cheap, but his labor time is involved also.
This is the credited response. The OP might win the money back in small claims, but if all he is seeking is $100, its probably a useless fight. Unless you make like $20 a day or something, going to court for that little is a net loss.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:54 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
I can quite honestly say that as someone who has just signed a lease for a 1-BR unit near Washington, DC that I was so turned off by the pungent ethnic food odor I experienced in one complex that I completely wrote it off my list and went on to the next complex. While I do enjoy treating myself to Thai, Indian, Greek, Chinese, and various other ethnic foods from time to time as my budget permits, I would not like to be inhaling that odor on a constant basis. I have friends who smoke, and at times I have difficulty hanging around them for extended periods of time because that thick smoky odor just lingers in their clothing and hair. You can't fault the landlord for trying to recoup any costs that he may incur for making the unit marketable to all demographics. Yes, another Indian-American may enjoy a faint curry smell, but even though I, a Caucasian, like curry, I would NEVER sign a lease for an apartment where that odor lingered.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:26 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Hmmm never knew curry smelled that bad
Now I know why if I want take out Indian food hubbie tells me eat it in and don't bring it home ...lol
It does have a lingering odor. I make Asian noodles using a little curry, and it seems to dominate the dish. I once was house hunting and looked at a house owned by Indians. The smell was unbearable, my Wife had to walk out. Ride around Iselin and you can smell it in the air.

OP: I would tell the landlord that you will get rid of the odor yourself. So stop eating curry and buy air fresheners, febreeze etc. Eat Chinese food and that would mask the curry smell to his liking.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,951,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I can top that. I had Korean last night for dinner and leftovers for lunch. Everybody and everything smells like kimchee.
I just made a fresh batch of Kimchi. My wife had a fit....LOL. Ever hear of Kimchi breath? Anyone eating Kimchi on a daily basis, you'd know what I mean. But Kimchi is one of the world's healthiest dishes.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,966 times
I have to agree that $100 bucks is NOTHING to ask for to get rid of the curry smell.

YOU accepted the terms and condition when you moved into your condo. Maybe you didn't know any differently but the fact remains...you signed the lease, you moved in, end of the story.

I passed on many houses (that were really good deals) because of the curry smell. No offense but I cannot stand that smell and I knew I would never really be able to exonerate that smell 100% so I said, "No Way!"

It is what it is! Deal with it! There is no racial discrimination here...stop trying to make it out as such.

Shanny

Old 05-02-2009, 08:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
No, but I am sure all that cabbage did! Before and After cooking!
The smell of cabbage is worse on it's way out than preparing it...

Old 05-02-2009, 08:24 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Dude, WHAT?!?!
The guy's an as*...he doesn't know only dogs are kosher...them cats are hard to catch....

Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Was there a "Curry Clause" in your lease? If not, you didn't violate your lease and should have your security refunded promptly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey