Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 09:28 PM

191 posts, read 591,112 times

Advertisements

hi, a friend told me that she heard there are plans to make the train lines to ridgewood direct (instead of xferring at secaucus jxn). does anyone know how tentative or likely those plans are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 09:33 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,125,484 times
It's true, there are plans you can read about below:

NJ to Manhattan Rail Tunnel Approved - Bergen County Commuters to Have Direct Train Access to New York City | Ridgewood Front Porch

NorthJersey.com: Rail tunnel to Manhattan gets final OK (http://www.northjersey.com/news/transportation/Rail_tunnel_to_Manhattan_gets_final_OK.html - broken link)

There are also plans to connect Grand Central and34th St/ Penn Station.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:12 AM

136 posts, read 723,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post

There are also plans to connect Grand Central and34th St/ Penn Station.
Per the very length story about the project in Sunday's Ledger, that will not be happening.

Old 05-05-2009, 09:40 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
Yes they are going to make a Ridgewood - NYC direct train right after they make the Poconos - NYC direct line. Won't be long now.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:33 AM

231 posts, read 587,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
Per the very length story about the project in Sunday's Ledger, that will not be happening.
I can't seem to find this. Can you post a link please?

Old 05-05-2009, 10:36 AM

231 posts, read 587,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
I can't seem to find this. Can you post a link please?
Nevermind, found it:

Burrowing a tunnel under the Hudson River and into the future - NJ.com

Old 05-05-2009, 10:48 AM

792 posts, read 3,137,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpotato View Post
hi, a friend told me that she heard there are plans to make the train lines to ridgewood direct (instead of xferring at secaucus jxn). does anyone know how tentative or likely those plans are?
It will never happen (in our lifetime) and I'll even place a wager on it. My folks live a few miles down the line. The current service is excellent and changing at Secaucus to go midTown (or elsewhere) is fine. Just leave it alone the way it is right now. There's nothing wrong with performing a "midTownConnect" at Secaucus. A LOT of TAXPAYER money went into building and operating Secaucus transfer depot.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,303,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spincycle View Post
It will never happen (in our lifetime) and I'll even place a wager on it. My folks live a few miles down the line. The current service is excellent and changing at Secaucus to go midTown (or elsewhere) is fine. Just leave it alone the way it is right now. There's nothing wrong with performing a "midTownConnect" at Secaucus. A LOT of TAXPAYER money went into building and operating Secaucus transfer depot.
Well, it IS happening.

I'm a big supporter of the ARC project because we DO need more rail capacity in this region. The rails are congested and haven't been expanded in decades.

However, I hate the depth of the mezzanine at the new 34th Street Station. How long will it take to clear platforms located 150 feet below the surface?

Furthermore, this project will render Secaucus Junction obsolete. Secaucus was an EXPENSIVE train station, but with all lines going into Midtown, there will be no need to transfer at Secaucus (unless you're making an intrastate trip). There was a plan to develop the area around Secaucus Junction into a huge live/work community. I'm talking 50-story towers, the works. In such a scenario, the train station at Secaucus will continue to serve a good purpose. Otherwise, it's pointless.

Once-proposed concept for development at Secaucus Jct/15-X

Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 AM

512 posts, read 1,754,867 times
The Secaucus Junction is the most frivolous train station in NJ. How annoying it was when they added that extra stop on my line!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey