Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:52 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
Hoboken is great except for the (at least) five months a year when it's too cold to want to walk anywhere. That's why the whole "walkable" downtown phenomena is so overrated. This isn't Souther California; it's New Jersey. And it gets cold in New Jersey.

Um, you are afraid to walk a half mile in the winter?

It is not an over-rated thing by any means. As one that has gone out to teh Korean grocer across the street, in winter, in the snow, with a T-shirt. Walkability is AWESOME.

(I did not need the car, I did not need to CLEAN the car, it took me 2 minutes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
OMG, who notices the weather in Hoboken or NYC, except when it's disgustingly hot.
Agreed.

But that is what those outside bar seats are for......

Even at 90+, sitting outside having a cold one is nice......

Old 05-07-2009, 03:01 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Hoboken has a little of everything, and even life-long suburbanites would warm to the idea of living there (if they gave it a chance)... it's where I'd luv to be, but geographically undesirable given where I work.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:03 PM

136 posts, read 722,979 times
I like Hoboken; I never said I didn't, though I could never afford to live there. I just said that one aspect of it was overrated. It's just my opinion, you can disagree.

If you live on say 9th and Jefferson, are you really going to be walking to anyplace near the PATH when it's 20 degrees out in the middle of February. I wouldn't--but maybe I'm the crazy one.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:46 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
When you deal with avoiding vomit puddles, Biff and Mitch blowing off steam from their lackey Wall Street jobs, and skanky chicks, year after year, Hoboken get's old quickly. That's why I moved out.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:04 PM

1,577 posts, read 5,685,650 times
The Upper West Side is expensive just like Hoboken for similar reasons.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:56 PM

4,177 posts, read 5,056,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
When you deal with avoiding vomit puddles, Biff and Mitch blowing off steam from their lackey Wall Street jobs, and skanky chicks, year after year, Hoboken get's old quickly. That's why I moved out.
I've never, ever seen vomit in 'boken

Biff & Mitch ? stay away from the Black Bear and you'll be fine.

skanky chicks ? keep 'em coming

hey, I couldn't afford to live there either

Old 05-07-2009, 08:02 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,715,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
I've never, ever seen vomit in 'boken

Biff & Mitch ? stay away from the Black Bear and you'll be fine.

skanky chicks ? keep 'em coming

hey, I couldn't afford to live there either
LOL I lived aboue 340, Trinity, and the Quays. Trust me, there was plenty of spew to be had on Saturday and Sunday mornings.

Black Bear, Trinity, McSwiggans, Green Rock, The Quays, 340, Lua, Lana Lounge, 10th & Willow, and the W Hotel. Endless Wall Street douchebaggery, and fist pumping guidos.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:03 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,050,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
oh for crying out loud. there are millions of kids in the tri state area who have to walk to school every day during the cold months, and millions of commuters who walk as well....do you literally mean "too cold to walk ANYWHERE"? it's literally TOO COLD to walk outside and go down the block for a gallon of milk?

if so...we are damn wusses.
I admit it I am a Wus! I love Hoboken and New York but hate the climate.
I am now in paradise!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:49 PM

111 posts, read 319,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thosepeskyfacts View Post
I like Hoboken; I never said I didn't, though I could never afford to live there. I just said that one aspect of it was overrated. It's just my opinion, you can disagree.

If you live on say 9th and Jefferson, are you really going to be walking to anyplace near the PATH when it's 20 degrees out in the middle of February. I wouldn't--but maybe I'm the crazy one.
Hoboken has very short blocks if 20 degree weather stops someone from walking 10-15 blocks you might not be dressed warm enough. Besides if someone lived on 9th and Jefferson and they really couldn't handle the cold weather they could simply walk three blocks to the Light Rail and get off at the stop behind the Path station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey