U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:20 PM

261 posts, read 1,453,568 times

Advertisements

I dont know if this was discsused on this forum but does anyone have any experiences to share about Piscataway NJ? My brother is buying a home there (some type of foreclosure situation) and doesnt know the area too well yet. There are, of course, plently of statistics and numbers about each area, but one's perception and experiences are invaluable.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 12:35 PM

129 posts, read 355,174 times
Piscataway, for the most part, is a decent place to live. There are some sections that are nicer than others. The River Road section and the New Market section are pretty nice.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:50 PM

11 posts, read 68,854 times
I grew up in Montreal, Canada....lived in Chicago...in Northern California...and in Springfield, NJ....now...

I'm in Piscataway, and it's a nice, clean, safe, diverse town. Also grocery stores, home improvement stores, and basic stores (aka Sears, Target, Walmart) a close drive away. So day to day life is convenient.

There are lots of parks, and they are in the process of building a new large one (can't remember the name).

Schools are decent, they have a Blue Ribbon MiddleSchool Conackamack (sp?). The High School I have heard doesn't have the best education, but is improving.

Also, it is one of the only towns I have seen in NJ that has real roads (aka min. 2-lanes and divided). It really helps commute times being able to quickly hop onto a highway.

Another rarity (for NJ) is it has multiple highway exits you can take...essentially any exit from 4 to 8 has a path to home...so you're never blocked in line at the exit (see RT1 from Garden State, or RT27, or RT18 for those Brunswick-ers).

Of course, like all towns, different areas have different folks. There are adult children families in some, the houses closes to Society Hill have a lot of young families. There are lots of sidewalks.

Oh yes...there is no real downtown. Maybe they'll think about building one. They are also widening roads, building new roads, building a YMCA. People tell me the town has money, and it somewhat shows because there is a lot of updating going around.

Anyhow...hope this was helpful .

thanks,
Amir

Old 05-31-2007, 09:44 AM

6,862 posts, read 17,716,079 times
Piscataway is a nice place with nice suburban homes on green lots. There are plenty of trees, some nice parks (I used to go jogging and play soccer at Johnson Park), and as Amir said, lots of suburban style shopping with most of the major retail chains either within the township or closely nearby. It's not the type of lifestyle I enjoy most, but it's great for a lot of people. I think owning a house there would be great. Your brother would be living in a nice area, and if Piscataway is too suburban and boring for him, I'm sure he could do well on the resale.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:49 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,207,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Piscataway is a nice place with nice suburban homes on green lots. There are plenty of trees, some nice parks (I used to go jogging and play soccer at Johnson Park), and as Amir said, lots of suburban style shopping with most of the major retail chains either within the township or closely nearby. It's not the type of lifestyle I enjoy most, but it's great for a lot of people. I think owning a house there would be great. Your brother would be living in a nice area, and if Piscataway is too suburban and boring for him, I'm sure he could do well on the resale.
Very true. The condo and townhouse community at Piscataway are very popular as you can see in Craigslist north jersey craigslist > real estate for sale: search for "piscataway" (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link)

There are many popular communities sold out such as University Heights (near Edison Train and next to Rutgers Univ), Starpoint (townhouse near Edison Train), The Commons (walk to Edison Train) ... (note: there may be new units come out once in a while when owners move up and bought bigger home in town).

At the moment, it seems Society Hill (near Edison Train with 2br condo and townhouses) is best deal with nice playground, tennis court, swimming pool, next to Rutgers Univ.

Another hidden jewel is Birch Glen condo and townhouse that are minutes from Dunellen Train Station, many realtors do not know because it is brand new community. Otherwise, it will like Maple Grove next to it sold 7 units recently since they are just across street. Other nice communities nearby are Maple Woods (brand new), Canterbury, and Birchview... as you can see ... Email View

If you visit Piscataway, you will find out Piscataway High School is under expansion and many new buildings are built with brand new auditorium, 10 schools all have brand new expansion.

Many IT professionals working at wall street living here, and many big companies like Johnson & Johson, AT&T, Lucent, IBM, Sun ...etc has building here.

The population is about 50% whites (refer to city data), 25% black and 25% asian. A typical change for past decade can be signified by School St where used to be small old houses (but BIG lot, 1 acre, near Edison Train Stn and next to Golf), now many new houses built, and recently I passed by surprisingly saw a million dollar house under construction with gorgeous brick front ...etc.

An India friend told me that Piscataway is now top 10 most Indian popular towns in the US.

My brother-in-law's son and his team member at Piscataway High won #1 in NJ on Business Plan competition going to Chicago to compete nationwide for NJ. His team member's sister also graduated from Piscataway High went to Harvard Univ. His another black friend Dave going to Georgetown Univ (#4 undergard on Foreigh Policy and #1 on graduate school), and David's sister just went to Princeton Univ all graduated from Piscataway High. His another Chinese friend going to Univ Penn to study on business school who won #1 Economics competition in NJ for Piscataway High, and his neighbor Harsh won #2 on Business Computation.

There are many many more surprise on Piscataway High School students, and besides, it does won Blue Ribon since several years ago, other than Football #1 in NJ and Marching Band, going down to FL for Festival.

Visit Irishtown Park, one of 26 newly renovated parks in Piscataway at Mountain Av and Wayne, you will see baseball games like you can see in many prestigeous town in the state.

And you will see Piscataway Trash Fishing Volunteers to clean the parks, schools, library parking, ... that they want the town become the "cleanest town" in New Jersey as well, since "Trash Theory" says one piece trash will attract more, and will scared good people and bad guy comes, so when streets, parks, schools, ...etc all clean without litter, the town will become very succesful and safe town.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:35 PM
bay

425 posts, read 2,805,418 times
is there any new construction community going on in piscataway? it looks like a lots of 2bd condos there (we currently own 2 bd condo in jersey coty already), but we are looking for 3+bd w/basement or a single house. what is the commute time to NYC downtown and midtown?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:41 PM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
is there any new construction community going on in piscataway? it looks like a lots of 2bd condos there (we currently own 2 bd condo in jersey coty already), but we are looking for 3+bd w/basement or a single house. what is the commute time to NYC downtown and midtown?
There are several, but one called Birch Glen seems to be a better match to you as it is very close to Dunellen Train Station as you can see on Craigslist 3br 3hba Townhouse at Birch Glen near Dunellen Train Stn just Sold ... (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rfs/336431436.html - broken link) It is about 45 minutes commute, depending on the train you take. The express train only stop Plainfield and Westfield ...

Old 06-09-2007, 10:42 PM
ehs

I was told today that Piscataway High School got two students won the admission to Governor's School, which is a very high honor ...

The condo and townhouse seem selling very well ... north jersey craigslist > real estate for sale: search for "piscataway" (http://newjersey.craigslist.org/search/rfs?query=piscataway&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max - broken link)

But, somehow, I saw some good price units at Society Hill Piscataway and Canterbury Piscataway from realtor.com These two are very good communities ... and near Edison Train Station and Dunellen Train Station, respectively.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:17 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,805,418 times
ehs, Thanks. If possible, we would like to look for brand new construction. 3+ bedroom Townhouse with basement or small single house. Our budget is around 500k and plan moving date will be near future 2 years.
How's Maple Woods community? I saw the 3 bedroom plus basement towhouse floor plan at hallmark.com. Is the area good and easy communte? is there any chinese grocery shopping around?

Old 06-12-2007, 11:11 AM
ehs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
ehs, Thanks. If possible, we would like to look for brand new construction. 3+ bedroom Townhouse with basement or small single house. Our budget is around 500k and plan moving date will be near future 2 years.
How's Maple Woods community? I saw the 3 bedroom plus basement towhouse floor plan at hallmark.com. Is the area good and easy communte? is there any chinese grocery shopping around?
Yes, Maple Woods at Piscataway is a brand new community near Dunellen Train Station. Which is also close to both North Plainfield and Edison Asian Food Center ... Welcome to Asian Food Markets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey