Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,284 times

Advertisements

Hello all..really need some advice here. So, I've been offered a job in Newark, NJ that I'm pretty close to accepting. I've lived in California for most of my life I and love it. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back east, but I'm willing to take a leap faith and I'm not really in a position to turned down job offers right now. I've never been to New Jersey so I have no idea where to even begin to look for a place to live. A couple of the people I will be working with say that it's pretty reasonable living in Newark, but based on what I'm reading here, safety may be an issue. Anyhow, I'm a single female and I'm basically looking for somewhere safe to live. I know full well that unfortunately crime happens everywhere, but some areas are more prone to crime than others. I'm just looking to avoid those areas. I'm looking to pay around $1000-1400 for a 1 bedroom in a "cool" area. I'll most likely bring my car with me so I will have transportation. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM

345 posts, read 641,141 times
Yeah...crime and Newark go together pretty well. However, if you must live there, the entire city isn't hell...but I'd say it's a stretch to find a "cool" area. I don't entirely know what "cool" means in this case, but most of the towns surrounding Newark are middle/working class commuter towns. I guess Hoboken would be considered cool, but that might be a bit out of your price range unless you'd be willing to get a roommate. Still, I'd say go with a place in a town like Nutley, Harrison, or Lyndhurst. None of those are terribly cool towns, but you should be able to get a one-bedroom easily, with some money to spare. These and most of towns surrounding Newark provide good commuter access (to either Newark or Manhattan).

Old 05-08-2009, 07:21 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,434,855 times
Look around the Essex County suburbs. Montclair would be great, but may stretch your budget. Very cosmopolitan. West Orange, South Orange, and Maplewood are also good choices, but again, may be budget busters for you. Bloomfield would be another good choice, but some of the areas that border the rougher places are a bit sketchy. The nicer sections would be a good choice. Maybe check out Union in Union County, but again, stay away from the areas bordering the rougher towns.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:12 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,255,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster View Post
Hello all..really need some advice here. So, I've been offered a job in Newark, NJ that I'm pretty close to accepting. I've lived in California for most of my life I and love it. I'm a little apprehensive about moving back east, but I'm willing to take a leap faith and I'm not really in a position to turned down job offers right now. I've never been to New Jersey so I have no idea where to even begin to look for a place to live. A couple of the people I will be working with say that it's pretty reasonable living in Newark, but based on what I'm reading here, safety may be an issue. Anyhow, I'm a single female and I'm basically looking for somewhere safe to live. I know full well that unfortunately crime happens everywhere, but some areas are more prone to crime than others. I'm just looking to avoid those areas. I'm looking to pay around $1000-1400 for a 1 bedroom in a "cool" area. I'll most likely bring my car with me so I will have transportation. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Newark isn't terribly "cool", and has very high crime rates.

If you're after "cool", try Montclair, if you can find a place on that budget.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM

297 posts, read 500,758 times
If you're from northern CA, then Newark would probably be right up your alley. It's very "progressive" on social issues and, economically speaking, has every social program one can think of.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:53 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,241,219 times
Unfortunately, $1,000 - $1,400 won't get you a 1-bedroom in a cool place.

However, you should look on Craigslist for a roommate in a 2-bedroom place in either Hoboken or Downtown Jersey City. You'd be paying between $900 - $1,300 probably. And in either Hoboken or Downtown JC, you'd be a 10 minute PATH (subway) ride from Downtown Newark...$1.75 each way, can't beat it.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:31 PM

587 posts, read 2,171,776 times
on that budget you can easily get a 1br in very nice areas, even millburn.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:07 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,497,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjd View Post
If you're from northern CA, then Newark would probably be right up your alley. It's very "progressive" on social issues and, economically speaking, has every social program one can think of.
This is not very helpful.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:10 PM

2 posts, read 4,284 times
These suggestions have been extremely helpful. Thank you!

Old 05-09-2009, 12:10 AM

297 posts, read 500,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
This is not very helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopster View Post
These suggestions have been extremely helpful. Thank you!
Well, I guess that settled that, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey