U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2007, 05:42 PM

2 posts, read 9,578 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are planning to move to NJ in August (wife and 2 kids, one will be 3 in july and the other one 1 also in July). My wife will stay at home and I will be commuting to Mahattan every day (around Grand Central Station).

We need advice on good places to raise a family. We are planning to buy a house (600,000-650,000), and the following has to be taking in consideration: 1. we are going to need good schools 2. I do not mind a 1 hour commute but not more than that. 3. Does anyone know about the best way to get to 42 st? Probably a train. Is there a express train t manhattan?

A friend on mine told us that Morris County was a good place to look. Is there a particular area in Morris county considering our money limitation?

Please any advice will be gladly accepted. Time is running and we have no idea where to move.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 06:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,287,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiwi View Post
Hi, we are planning to move to NJ in August (wife and 2 kids, one will be 3 in july and the other one 1 also in July). My wife will stay at home and I will be commuting to Mahattan every day (around Grand Central Station).

We need advice on good places to raise a family. We are planning to buy a house (600,000-650,000), and the following has to be taking in consideration: 1. we are going to need good schools 2. I do not mind a 1 hour commute but not more than that. 3. Does anyone know about the best way to get to 42 st? Probably a train. Is there a express train t manhattan?

A friend on mine told us that Morris County was a good place to look. Is there a particular area in Morris county considering our money limitation?

Please any advice will be gladly accepted. Time is running and we have no idea where to move.
Westfield,Cranford,Clark,Rahway in union county are all under an hour commute to penn st. Woodbride,Edison,Metuchan in middlesex county are all
under an hour ..you could walk or take the train to 42nd

Old 04-05-2007, 08:52 PM

22 posts, read 73,302 times
if you are looking in bergen county, you can catch a bus into 42nd street port authority terminal (and get there under an hour):
Wood-Ridge
Rutherford
Hasbrouck Heights
Paramus
Maywood
Rochelle Park
Fairview
Ridgefield
Ridgefield Park
Secaucus
Washington Twp
Ridgewood

Hope this helps!

Old 04-06-2007, 10:21 AM

2,806 posts, read 15,968,075 times
There is a major problem here which I think you are overlooking. The trains from NJ dont' go anywhere near Grand Central. Getting between Penn Station and the Grand Central Station area can take quite a while, depending on what area you are talking about.

Have you looked into Westchester and areas of conneticut around Stamford? The train lines north of the city go directly into Grand Central.

Check out this commuting time map: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...N_GRAPHIC.html

Old 04-06-2007, 02:11 PM

2 posts, read 9,578 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
There is a major problem here which I think you are overlooking. The trains from NJ dont' go anywhere near Grand Central. Getting between Penn Station and the Grand Central Station area can take quite a while, depending on what area you are talking about.

Have you looked into Westchester and areas of conneticut around Stamford? The train lines north of the city go directly into Grand Central.

Check out this commuting time map: http://www.nytimes.com/imagepages/20...N_GRAPHIC.html

Thank you very much for all the info. The map helps a lot. I guess we have to visit Westchester and CT to take a look at some of the areas.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:23 PM

562 posts, read 2,548,392 times
Cranford has some nice houses for that price range..

Old 04-10-2007, 12:08 PM

122 posts, read 460,715 times
Suggest towns in Union County
Westfield excellent schools
Cranford

Cranford might have more houses in your price range.
May have to settle for a fixer upper in Westfield.
Westfield has a wonderful downtown with restaurants and stores.
Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 12:45 PM

19 posts, read 134,390 times
Hello there,
You migh consider Nutley. When we moved out of the city 4 years ago, we looked in Morris county, Westfield and Montclair and couldn't afford anything, or rather, refused to pay the ridiculous asking prices. We could afford Nutley so that's where we landed, but have been very happy here since. My husband commutes via DeCamp express bus that he picks up just down the street. Takes him between 50-60 min. door-to-door to get to 86th/Broadway on MOST days. Also, from what we hear, the Yantacaw and Spring Garden elementary schools are very nice. I dont know much about the middle and high schools. As a stay at home mom of two young ones myself, I can say I've met a lot of people with kids our age, and its been fairly easy to make new friends and finds things to do to fill those long days. :-)

You could get a very nice house here in the $600,00 range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey