Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:53 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Chevy's? That one step above taco bell
chevy's is generally gag, but i do like their chips.

remember, CaptainNJ is king of "Big Biz®"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:57 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,905,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownJerseyCity View Post
Chevy's? That one step above taco bell
So you mean the "chicken" is actually raccoon and not squirrel at Chevy's?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 PM

9,359 posts, read 20,732,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
So you mean the "chicken" is actually raccoon and not squirrel at Chevy's?
Maybe it's TGIFriday's, and perhaps it's not raccoon, but rather, snake:

T.G.I. Friday's: Snake head was planted in NY meal | friday, head, meal - Local News - WRGB CBS 6 Albany

I wonder if this has ever occurred at the Rattlesnake Cafe in Denville.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:16 PM

231 posts, read 586,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
oooh its an evil chain restaurant.

well, it has better food than most of the independent places that people pretend are so wonderful.
Sorry Captain, I have to disagree. I'm not a fan of Chevy's. And yes, I am one of those people you speak about. No, I don't like crappy indy food. I like good food. You show me a chain restaurant that serves good food and I'm there. Problem is that corporations exist to put money in the pockets of shareholders, not to make good food. So once a good/successful restaurant becomes a larger chain, it will inevitably become worse as steps are taken to pad margins.

I really hate chain restaurants. Go to any suburban town in the US and you will see the same group of chain restaurants plunked down. These poor suburbanites just eat it up too. They're ignorant to the great quality and variety that still exists in places like new jersey and even more NYC. I see chains as a vehicle for the vanillification of some of our greatest cities too. Go to chicago, philadelphia, atlanta and it's all the same only to a lesser extent. New york is a bit of a standout, but maybe that's just because I'm more familiar with new york. If you go to Times' Square, you see a lot of the same chains, including Chevy's!

Charrito's in Union City is my favorite local place for mexican. They will make the guacamole at your table and they make mole on weekends, which I love with the corn tortillas and the oaxaca cheese.

On tex/mex in the southwest, I will say that I tried beef tacos at a hole in the wall looking place in san diego and it was easily one of the best I've ever had. Shredded beef (not ground) and fresh CORN tortillas. Simply amazing.

If I'm going to go with a chain, I do have to admit I have a soft spot for baja fresh baja style tacos.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:43 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,580,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
Sorry Captain, I have to disagree. I'm not a fan of Chevy's. And yes, I am one of those people you speak about. No, I don't like crappy indy food. I like good food. You show me a chain restaurant that serves good food and I'm there. Problem is that corporations exist to put money in the pockets of shareholders, not to make good food. So once a good/successful restaurant becomes a larger chain, it will inevitably become worse as steps are taken to pad margins.
independent restaurants are doing the same thing. why are we pretending they dont exist to make money? many chains suck and many are good. however, the ratio of good to bad is no better when it comes to independents. its funny how anti-chain people dismiss their customers as ignorant suburbanites. maybe they just found food they enjoy and want to go back.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,707,576 times
Quote:
independent restaurants are doing the same thing. why are we pretending they dont exist to make money? many chains suck and many are good. however, the ratio of good to bad is no better when it comes to independents. its funny how anti-chain people dismiss their customers as ignorant suburbanites. maybe they just found food they enjoy and want to go back.
who is dismissing suburbanites as ignorant?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonsquad View Post
These poor suburbanites just eat it up too. They're ignorant to the great quality and variety that still exists in places like new jersey and even more NYC.
a person who bad mouths chains irrationally will generally consider someone who likes some chains as ignorant. they are more cultured and sophisticated. chains are beneath them.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:19 PM

4,163 posts, read 5,031,517 times
of all the chains, my vote for "best" goes to Outback.
they are consistent: every time, every location.
their "blooming onion" rules !

Old 05-11-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
of all the chains, my vote for "best" goes to Outback.
they are consistent: every time, every location.
their "blooming onion" rules !
i usually enjoy outback. my last meal there sucked though.

morton's is a steak chain that i like a lot.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,633,913 times
Quote:
a person who bad mouths chains irrationally will generally consider someone who likes some chains as ignorant. they are more cultured and sophisticated. chains are beneath them.
who's badmouthing chains as a whole? we're saying chevy's sucks, LOL.

i like morton's and delfrisco's double eagle and ruth's chris. see a theme here? LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey