Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:41 AM

175 posts, read 464,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
I agree with the other posters that having an idea of family and job will help us direct you.

We have 3 kids aged 9,7 and 6. I am science and uni teaching trained and hubby graphic designer.

From a personal standpoint I was born and raised in NJ and love it here. My brother now lives in FL and tries every chance he can to convince me to move there. However I prefer the 4 seasons. The proximity to major metropolitan cities - From central NJ you are 90 mins. to NYC, 5 hours to Boston, 2 hours to Philadelphia, 5 hours to Washington. We are coastal so there are plenty of beaches. We are close to some decent skiing (within 4 hour drive). We have a diverse population. We have many different types of suburbs depending on what you are looking for from horse farms to metropolitan living. Finally many of our public schools are very good.

Schools are really important to us too. Kids safety very imp

We are into metropolitan living. Although we live in small city (1 million in whole state) we are 5 min drive from city.

We would LOVE to live near a beach. But has to have some sun ))))))

Is winter there really 6 months of the year. I think snow and freeze would be gr8 for us to experience, but not at the expence of lots of summer too. 3-4 months i can handle.
To get all this you will live in the state with one of the most corrupt governments. Our property taxes are the highest in the nation as is our car insurance. On the other hand, our salaries are generally higher than most other places.

Florida, you get humidity, poor schools, palmetto bugs and geckos. OK, they do have some nice beaches and great restaurants and a big mouse that my daughter loves but it still ain't NJ.
What are palmetto bugs!!!!!!
How humid is humid. If you got dressed and then had to have another shower my husband would die. OR if your shoes went green in the wardrobe that would be a no go

Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. I know it must seem like I am all over the place in my thinking but reading these comments is really helping us work some imp stuff out.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post
I do not loath myself...I loath the pasta-eating pieces of human filth I am constantly surrounded by here in Jersey. When I move to a less Italian part of the country, I will be allot happier.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:41 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Default close by

Nj is like a well stock refrigerator, open the door and everything you might want is right within your reach without moving a step.

Based on your description you could move to east central Nj or 30 miles south and be right in the midst of beaches and right on a commutter rail line to NYC, Philly or DC.

Rutgers in New Brunswick and Newark might provide scientific employment as well as dozens of small pharma and research organizations.

Long beach Island and south to the tip of NJ at Cape May would be about 8o or so miles from central NJ.

You can go from the east coast at Perth Amboy to the west coast on the Delaware River in about an hour.

Your not going to be driving 20 miles to find a gas station or large grocery store.

Say you select Metuchen as your home. you are approx 18 minutes from Newark Airport. The train station is in town, major noth south highways are within minutes. New Brunswick and Rutgers U is a 15 minute ride down the road. Traffic anywhere in the state lengthens any commute so be aware of that aspect.

If you have the money, move to Little silver, Red Bank or even the Atlantic Highlands. Catch the ferry to Manhattan and live withing minutes of Sandy Hook park, which is a 9ish mile spit of sand that seperates the Atlantic from the bay. Maybe 45 minutes away to the best beaches NJ has to offer.

If you are used to inner city life then of course Jersey city, Hoboken, etc, might be your cup of tea. All depends on where your heart finds peace. Northeast NJ is different from northwest NJ in terms of development and density of population. West central vs east central again give a different feel with the west less densely populated but the east not nearly as populated as northeast. South J has large tracts of pine forest and pure water aquifer that supplies drinking water.

South J eastern shore is a summer vacation destination for millions of folks as far away as Canada. Absolutely beautiful beaches and fishing opportunities. Of course beauty is quite subjective.

As for personal experiences related, the denser the population the more variability you will find in behavior. Each variant seems to then exist in greater numbers.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:53 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,805 times
Exclamation Troll alert

Please be advised. There is a TROLL on this thread. It's obvious who it is. Please use the REPORT icon for the posts. Let the mods know how you feel about being called "FILTH"

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Oh wow! My heart breaks for you reading this. What a terrible way to have to live. Is there any way you can leave the area you are in??? It sounds like you are trapped in an awfully violent way of life.
ive been living on the mean streets of morganville most of my life. everytimes i try to escape another hurdle is thrown in front of me. my best friend got shanked the other day walking to the grocery store. he had 5 kids and now they have no daddy, just a heroin addicted mother. maybe i will get out one day, or die trying.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:33 AM

501 posts, read 1,429,749 times
I was having a fit of laughter reading the troll's post. >D

Anyways, I think other people said what needed to be said.

Um, Florida really can get humid much more than up here in the summer. Extremely hot enough that you don't want to go out so be careful there. Although in the US, we don't have a "dry season" or "rainy season", it still can feel kind of like that depending on the season. (Spring can be "wet" depending on where you are. Summer can also be "wet". The fall and winter are more like "dry". Hmm.. I've only been in Australia during a dry season month as a tourist. I don't really know what wet season feels like there.) In Florida, particularily, you have to deal with a lot of rain. I don't really know why it's called the "Sunshine state" for that matter. Currently though, most of the state is under a drought due to a lack of rain, but normally, it does rain often there too. Oh yeah, and you also have to get use to hurricanes and hurricane evacuations if you're going to live there. Although, that must be similar to any problem with typhoons?

I remember in Sydney, you can only drive a certain km up or down. Here in the US, you have a 5-10 mph limit (which can vary wherever you are, again). A lot of people sometimes drive over it and will be lucky to not get caught (but don't recommend this unless you really feel lucky.)

Spotting a koala and reporting one isn't a problem here as we don't have any. (Although, I had no idea that kind of scenario was going on in AUS. I thought it was ok just to pass by a koala in the wild.)

Up here, it'll feel much like Sydney (/northern portion of AU) in terms of diversity. We got a lot of mix ethnicities here including a high Asian population. Down in Florida, it's a little different but still diverse in its own way. (But no Kinokuniya in Florida if you're ever looking for one... Edit: Normally, Kinokuniyas do not have a wide English selection of books so that surprised me visiting Sydney's location.)

Instead of kangaroo petting zoos, you got deer and goat petting zoos. We also have drive-thru safari zoos throughout the country.

If I think of anything else, I'll add on...

Yeah, adding on:

Quote:
What are palmetto bugs!!!!!!
They are basically big roaches. I don't think I've seen one yet. I've seen a stink bug that accidentally got into a car in central Jersey. (I have an odd feeling that you'd find strange things exclusively in central Jersey.)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention...
In terms of poisonous animals, you don't have to worry too much. In NJ, instead of koalas, it's if you spot a bear, report it!! Um, other than black bears, we have deer, skunks (stay away), mountain lions, and foxes. (I've only seen deer and dead runned over skunks so far.) Then, we have smaller animals like squirrels, woodchucks (groundhogs), and ducks. Plenty of Canadian geese too.

In Fl, you have the crocs and gators asides from other animals. Spot a gator in your driveway = report it!

Last edited by Unknown Memory; 05-12-2009 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-12-2009, 10:05 AM

199 posts, read 526,309 times
Quote:
We prefer city or near city living. (Within a short drive to a main city - although main here could be quite diff to main there lol). The only nature we absolutely love is the beach. Don't want to be in the bush, forrests, hills, etc (please dont put me near bears hee hee).

You say everything is so close, but someone else previously said it is a huge state??? Could you please explain how these go together I think i have missed something there.
You might be eluding to what I said. It's a small state, area-wise, but it does stretch pretty far from north to south. For example, the northern tip of NJ is at the same latitude as areas of New England, while the southern tip is at the same latitude of Washington, DC. But no, it's not a big state.

I still couldn't tell whether cost of living was a big issue to you or not. Some areas that you might want to check out in northern NJ would be Metuchen, Glen Ridge, Millburn, and Maplewood.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ive been living on the mean streets of morganville most of my life. everytimes i try to escape another hurdle is thrown in front of me. my best friend got shanked the other day walking to the grocery store. he had 5 kids and now they have no daddy, just a heroin addicted mother. maybe i will get out one day, or die trying.

Do you have support agencies that can help you get out?
You may well have a truckload of friends there, but sounds like you need to make a clean break and a fresh start. Redefine your life if you can.
You may be the one person who manages to change the life and future of your whole family. Dont accept that way of life......it isnt right. You deserve better.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:56 PM

Default Cost of Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
You might be eluding to what I said. It's a small state, area-wise, but it does stretch pretty far from north to south. For example, the northern tip of NJ is at the same latitude as areas of New England, while the southern tip is at the same latitude of Washington, DC. But no, it's not a big state.

I still couldn't tell whether cost of living was a big issue to you or not. Some areas that you might want to check out in northern NJ would be Metuchen, Glen Ridge, Millburn, and Maplewood.

thanks NJPHillyfan

Cost of living is hard to work out. Someone said that if we are from Australia the cost of living shouldn't freak us out.
I guess it all depends on the ability to get a good job!
Houses here ( well our house, middle of the road in a decent suburb) was $450k 2 years ago. Probably 6 now.
Electricity is $700 a quarter.
Water $300 quarter
Gas $200 quarter
Rates $1200/year
House Insurance $100 month
Medical Insurance $300 month

Does that sound similar?????? I wont bother with food because it depends what you buy. (oh ok, family of 5 $200/week really roughly - depends how much we do take out lol).

Old 05-12-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post

Um, Florida really can get humid much more than up here in the summer. Extremely hot enough that you don't want to go out so be careful there.
Oh ok.....i think the humidity might be a huge factor for us!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Memory View Post
Although in the US, we don't have a "dry season" or "rainy season", it still can feel kind of like that depending on the season. (Spring can be "wet" depending on where you are. Summer can also be "wet". The fall and winter are more like "dry". Hmm.. I've only been in Australia during a dry season month as a tourist. I don't really know what wet season feels like there.)
We live in Adelaide so its hot and dry - never wet unless its freezing (lol our freezing 10-18 C) and winter. Love the heat/ dry heat. Can handle winter for 3 months but not half the year.

Quote:
Up here, it'll feel much like Sydney (/northern portion of AU) in terms of diversity. We got a lot of mix ethnicities here including a high Asian population.
Is it a good diversity! Or a ghetto diversity.

Quote:
They are basically big roaches.
YUK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey