U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:57 AM

175 posts, read 441,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,

WE are wanting to move from AUtralia to USA. Was thinking of Florida but a few people have suggested NJ. Just wondering if you could tell me what it is like.....(big ask I know).

How does it differ from NY?
Why would you live NJ not Florida?

What are the biggest considerations in moving there?

and anything else you think might be important for me to know

Thanks
Rate this post positively

Old 05-11-2009, 05:10 AM

7,577 posts, read 21,715,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Hi,

WE are wanting to move from AUtralia to USA. Was thinking of Florida but a few people have suggested NJ. Just wondering if you could tell me what it is like.....(big ask I know).

How does it differ from NY?
Why would you live NJ not Florida?

What are the biggest considerations in moving there?

and anything else you think might be important for me to know

Thanks
We only move to Florida once the pants get pulled up over your belly button ... It's more for retirees.
All though others will tell you that NJ is very expensive, coming from Australia, you'll find NJ to be extremely affordable. NJ has 4 seasons whereas Florida maybe has 2. Salaries are typically alot higher in NJ vs. Florida plus Florida is getting hit harder than NJ by this recession.
NJ vs. NY - depends on what area of NY you are considering. Upstate NY and NJ are more suburbanish.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:24 AM

21,113 posts, read 15,013,580 times
Default Mindset

It is not homogenous.

Rare to find anyone in lockstep here in NJ except for a propensity to chronically make poor decisions at election time.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
We only move to Florida once the pants get pulled up over your belly button ... It's more for retirees.
All though others will tell you that NJ is very expensive, coming from Australia, you'll find NJ to be extremely affordable. NJ has 4 seasons whereas Florida maybe has 2. Salaries are typically alot higher in NJ vs. Florida plus Florida is getting hit harder than NJ by this recession.
NJ vs. NY - depends on what area of NY you are considering. Upstate NY and NJ are more suburbanish.

pants over my belly button - NEVER!!!! That's a tragedy lol.
Are you sure though???? The stats seem to say there are young people around Tampa area, or is it a trick? we are coming to visit so wanting to narrow down the number of places to visit.

I have hear good things about NJ Its nice to hear that somewhere is affordable when compared with here!

Would you say people live in NJ and commute to NY???? Or is NJ a thriving metropolis all on its own (please excuse my ignorance).

4 seasons great
affordable great
nice people excellent
fun area, good for families etc??

If I was to google some areas of NJ where would you recommend.

Thanks for your input

Old 05-11-2009, 06:26 AM

531 posts, read 2,816,329 times
Not sure if I'd go so far as to say "nice people" live in NJ.

Kracer is correct about it not being homogeneous. NJ is a HUGE state, relatively speaking {as is Florida for that matter}. You'll probably need to narrow your choices down a bit before you can start making decisions.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:31 AM

Where would I find the nice people

Are there particular regions etc.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:50 AM
yCf

106 posts, read 513,234 times
I think you should start with North Jersey. Maybe the town of Ridgewood.
It one of the more expensive towns to live in but it's close to NYC and is very nice.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:51 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,014,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffire View Post
Would you say people live in NJ and commute to NY???? Or is NJ a thriving metropolis all on its own (please excuse my ignorance).
Both.

Quote:
4 seasons great
affordable great
nice people excellent
fun area, good for families etc??
Not very affordable, but yes to the other 3.

Btw, what part of Australia are you from ?

Have you considered the West Coast ? Trams, Eucalyptus trees, friendly people, warm weather, cosmopolitan and vibrant cities that are big enough to be fun and small enough to be livable would make you feel right at home there.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Both.

Not very affordable, but yes to the other 3.

Btw, what part of Australia are you from ?

Have you considered the West Coast ? Trams, Eucalyptus trees, friendly people, warm weather, cosmopolitan and vibrant cities that are big enough to be fun and small enough to be livable would make you feel right at home there.

We have, but we have friends along the East coast, and have heard great things about it. I guess we just had to narrow it down somehow. Thankfully we at least know we do not want inland. One region down. Oh and there has to be a decent summer

Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,983,373 times
The big question would be- what are you planning to do for employment? There's a big difference in the quantity/quality of jobs between NJ and FL depending on what field you're talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey