Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i want to have more than what i need.
And unless you can afford more than you need, that is the problem with society and why were are in the current situation we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:56 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
And unless you can afford more than you need, that is the problem with society and why were are in the current situation we are in.
i can afford more than i need. however, outside of nj i can afford much more than i need.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM

835 posts, read 1,180,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gradstudent77 View Post
This is absolutely, utterly the credited response.

People complain about the cost of living here but would never downgrade to "those" towns where they could make the lower mortgage payment. Also, a lot of people act as if living in an apartment (renting or owning a condo) is untenable, especially when raising children. I was raised in an apartment in a lower-middle class town and it was fine.

The average cost for an apartment in commutable areas to NYC and North Jersey are above 1400+ unless you want to get shot at.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
i can afford more than i need. however, outside of nj i can afford much more than i need.
Then it is a matter of personal choice and not necessity. The OP was discussing necessity.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
The average cost for an apartment in commutable areas to NYC and North Jersey are above 1400+ unless you want to get shot at.
But in the overall scheme of things 1,400 is chump change on any reasonable salary in the NYC area.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
But can they afford a House? Are they being helped by Parents? There are plenty of starter homes here in certain areas for under $100,000, and they are decent. You could buy a new Centrex house, 25 min from me for $135,000. Can you do that there.

I moved here in my Daughters senior year of HS. She has made many friends, a boyfriend , and in Aug, will enter her Junior year of college. She also has the Hope Schlorship because she went her entire senior year here, and had an overall average of over 3.0. That included her grades from NJ.
My son did not move here with us, but is here now. He is very happy here, and has already made friends at work. His Jersey friends have visited, with another coming in June.
I made a good move, and I'm very happy here.

Diane G

Exactly, and god forbid you have a health emergency and no health coverage and have to pay for a 300k condo. See its idiots that think everyone is out buying luxury items and blowing cash. That is not the case. Getting a college education isn't a luxury, owning 2 cars for a family to commute to work is not a luxury, dressing well for work isn't a luxury. These spinsters keep this idea up to try to make it seem that paying 300k for condo is normal and people just need to adjust to it. Bull****.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Young people buying stock today in their 401Ks will be handsomely rewarded in the next 5-10 years.
putting money in a 401k is a bad idea. when you get old enough to take it out, the government will tax you at 99% if they havent already taken over 401ks and rolled them into a government program. i dont put anything into a 401k or IRA. i do put into a ROTH IRA but thats so little money, i could only contribute my first 2 years working.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
The only two reasons I see for legitimately leaving NJ - to retire early <=50 or live in an enviroment or region that you prefer with an ecosystem not found in the state like a mountain home, the desert, affordable waterfront, etc.
i agree with that notion that people want more these days and thats part of why people today believe they cant afford anything even though they buy the latest IPhone, LCD television, BMW, etc. however, as far as no legitimate reason, i think its legitimate for me to want to leave so i can get a 4500 square foot home for the same price in can get a 2600 square foot home.

things are going to be dropping for a while though anyway.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
putting money in a 401k is a bad idea. when you get old enough to take it out, the government will tax you at 99% if they havent already taken over 401ks and rolled them into a government program. i dont put anything into a 401k or IRA. i do put into a ROTH IRA but thats so little money, i could only contribute my first 2 years working.
Not related but brings up another point - do you know how much wealth is going to transfer to heirs in the coming 10-20 years? A huge amount. How is Johnny going to afford his 1,500/month rent? From the trust fund.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
But in the overall scheme of things 1,400 is chump change on any reasonable salary in the NYC area.

WAS chump change, that salary is long gone. Heck even at this moment jobs are being shed as massive layoffs are going on throughout North Jersey and NYC. Those wacky bonuses are long gone and there is a hiring freeze at almost every company except for essential positions. Even state jobs are frozen in NY and NJ. Who can landlords and the government rob now? The ponzi scheme is over, to bad the unions are to short sighted and greedy to understand that.

BMWs? I see old Camry's, Kia's, Hyundai's all over the road, I don't know what people you are talking about that splurge all their money on cars and iphones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey