Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 33,594 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of an ordinance in TR that concerns dogs barking? The police have been called four times when our Pom is in the yard and barks. These calls have ranged from noon, to 5 pm, to 9 pm to 9:30 pm. I've searched the net but cannot find the applicable ordinance and the police officers seemed to be unsure about it.

TIA,
Merrick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2007, 04:56 PM

2 posts, read 33,507 times
Default barking dogs

I don't know and I can't find anything either....but if you find out what the ordinance is can you let me know? i am in the same situation...we have 3 dogs and one likes to bark. We don't keep them out long...just long enough to go to the bathroom and run a bit but my uppity neighbors STILL complain. Mind you that I NEVER complain about THEIR dogs barking at 1 am nor do I stick my nose in their business.....but I still get letters in my mailbox, I get visits from animal control, the police...and I am at my wits end!!! I keep the dogs crated in the house all day and feel they should be allowed to live and run when we are home...apparently not but what ever!! Hell I even get calls when my dogs are barking INSIDE my house...LOL....talk about my neighbors infringing on MY quality of life huh????

Old 05-05-2007, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 33,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4dabeach View Post
I don't know and I can't find anything either....but if you find out what the ordinance is can you let me know? i am in the same situation...we have 3 dogs and one likes to bark. We don't keep them out long...just long enough to go to the bathroom and run a bit but my uppity neighbors STILL complain. Mind you that I NEVER complain about THEIR dogs barking at 1 am nor do I stick my nose in their business.....but I still get letters in my mailbox, I get visits from animal control, the police...and I am at my wits end!!! I keep the dogs crated in the house all day and feel they should be allowed to live and run when we are home...apparently not but what ever!! Hell I even get calls when my dogs are barking INSIDE my house...LOL....talk about my neighbors infringing on MY quality of life huh????
I know what you mean. We finally met the neighbors who are calling the police all the time. They actually had the nerve to stop by and tell us they call because our dog has an annoying bark. They're a young couple, about 30-35 years old. They claim they can hear Harry barking while he's in the house and the windows are open. Too bad about that. I called the police and asked about the ordnance and all they could tell me was there was a noise ordnance on the books and it applies to all times of the day or night. All someone has to do is call and complain and they will investigate. What a waste of the taxpayers money. This neighbor lives behind us and three houses down. WTH is their problem? Annoying bark? Get over it. Harry's a Pomeranian, seriously. NJ is really working on improving all of our quality of life, not. Try to enjoy your beach, we do, but it's getting more difficult with every passing law.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:51 PM

2 posts, read 33,507 times
I hear you...let one of my neighbors call about my dogs and TR finest is there in a second.....BUT let me call when my ex is sitting outside my house violating a restraing order and it takes them an hour and a half to show up...*shrugs*

I'll tell you what...you bring your little guy over to my house and we'll let my 3 and your little one run and play on the front lawn.....LOL wanna watch everyone on "Wisteria Lane" get their panties in a wad????? LOL

Old 05-06-2007, 07:27 PM

111 posts, read 516,086 times
Default The answer

Had the same issue in Lacey. No more of that. I sold my house and moved to PA with $ to spare. I now have two acres to separate us from the neighbors, who BTW do not complain about the barking. If they did, I'd have to complain about their cows mooing.

Actually I think I complained more about the barking (to my wife, who HAD to have dogs) than the neighbors.

Old 05-26-2007, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 16,659 times
Default Respect Others

Dogs that spend a great deal of time barking near a window are possibly bored. It may be a sign that you should consider walking your dog more and playing with him/her.

From a neighborly perspective, I also have dogs and am proactively respectful about them. Most people with barking dogs, let the dogs outside and then continue about way they need to do while the dogs are outside barking at cars, trees, the wind or maybe keeping the NEIGHBORS from doing what they want to do, like reading/talking/eating outside. No one likes a barking dog of any size to stand at the window or fence and bark incessantly.

I have a very large Husky. He doesn't bark often but he howls very loudly. When he is outside. I am outside. If he barks/howls I stop him. Quite simple. My neighbors see that I am doing something about it and respect that. Try spending more time with your dog and maybe your neighbor will respect you for it.

Old 05-27-2007, 10:52 AM

409 posts, read 2,782,588 times
I live in Brick and no one seems to let dogs bother them here. but i wouldnt like a continuing bark either. there are so many things on the market now for barking (and i don't mean the shock stuff) or they have loose little muzzle type things i see alot of people with. they don't seem to bother the dog. I have a shih tzu and she barks if someone is outside our house but i shut her up if she continues. i WANT her to bark when someones outside, but never for birds, bees, and whatever.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:24 PM
ehs

341 posts, read 2,296,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutz4dabeach View Post
The only mistake you made was "you did not call police on their dogs when they bark at 1am". You have to call police on whoever call police on you for the same situation. Then, they will learn the lesson.

A friend's neighbor often complain on his swimming pool, so my brother-in-law told him to complain about his neighbor's tree branches passing the fense. So, soon or later, the neighbor learned the lesson. As long as they complain, they will get the ticket too. So, no big deal, both pay fine, but both learned the lesson.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:35 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick View Post
Is anyone aware of an ordinance in TR that concerns dogs barking? The police have been called four times when our Pom is in the yard and barks. These calls have ranged from noon, to 5 pm, to 9 pm to 9:30 pm. I've searched the net but cannot find the applicable ordinance and the police officers seemed to be unsure about it.

TIA,
Merrick

Here's the applicable code for your city:

I found it here:General Code E-Code:
Here's the main page:General Code E-Code:
Quote:
§ 516-14. Animals which habitually bark or make noise. [Amended 1-17-1977 by Ord. No. 2-77]

No person shall own any dog or other animal which habitually barks, howls, cries or makes other noise over a prolonged period of time, whether during the day or night. No person shall own more than one animal, including dogs, which as a collective group habitually bark, cry, howl or make other noise over a prolonged period of time, whether during the day or night. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the normal and occasional barks, cries, howls or other noises associated with any one such animal. In imposing a sentence for a conviction under this section, the Magistrate may take into consideration the constantness, steadiness and frequency of the complained of acts, the period of time over which such acts occurred, attempts by the owner to stop such acts, the causes for such acts, the degree that such acts interrupted or interfered with any neighbor's enjoyment and use of his
premises, and the owner's prior convictions under this section. There shall be no violation of this section when the complained-of acts were committed by any animal other than a dog or dogs, and such acts occurred upon property in use for farming or agricultural activities, including raising livestock, poultry or small animals, and such use is legally permitted on said property. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit or interfere with the right of persons to use their property for farming or other agricultural uses, when such uses are lawful pursuant to the Zoning Ordinances of the Township of Dover. Editor's Note: See Ch. 348, Land Use and Development Regulations.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,030,601 times
sorry for the funny links. In preview mode they were visible as links, but the post just shows the html. You can still select them to view the Toms River municipal code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey