Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 03:24 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think nyc has more stuff to do because they have millions of people jammed together and many people have money to spend. sure, a white person may go to a mexican restaurant but for the most part people try to stay with their own kind.

i dont necessarily equate diversity to more crime. i also appreciate that you consider my kind "demented" because i have a different opinion than you do (or than you believe you do). whether you like it or not, most people agree with me. most people have friends that are like them, you probably do also. i dont really see where diversity has added value and made any place better. to say its definitely more "stimulating" is just a word that really means nothing. you see a black guy, a chinese guy and an arab walking down the street and somehow that stimulates you? or maybe a chinese, african, pakistani and a mexican restaurant excites you?

actually, i call you and your kind demented because i've seen your other posts and you tend to be racist, not because you disagree with me here.

And I'll put it this way...would you rather have a place that just had a single diner serving bland food that's the same everytime, or would have access to a place where you can get different kinds of fare, including thai, japanese, indian, southwest, etc?

Diversity breeds innovation, and thinking, and the development and exchange of new ideas. It challenges us to grow intellectually.

Now, if you equate "diversity" with crime and more poverty, then I can agree with you.

But don't start warping the idea and ideals of diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 03:26 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalim2008 View Post
Diversity breeds innovation, and thinking, and the development and exchange of new ideas. It challenges us to grow intellectually.

this is so silly its laughable. yeah, i think i heard that crap said in school. it makes no sense though. how does diversity challenge us to grow? i think intelligent people innovate to overcome challenges no matter what their ethnic background is.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
And I'll put it this way...would you rather have a place that just had a single diner serving bland food that's the same everytime, or would have access to a place where you can get different kinds of fare, including thai, japanese, indian, southwest, etc?

i like a variety of food. i dont think i need to have a diverse population in my town to get it.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:31 PM

786 posts, read 2,664,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
this is so silly its laughable. yeah, i think i heard that crap said in school. it makes no sense though.
It only doesn't make sense to you because, as i said, you have a demented view of what diversity is. You view it only in the negative (more crime and poverty), I view it as a potential positive.

Look at it this way: Alpine, Livingston, etc are all MUCH more diverse than Cranford. What do you think people would pick as the better place? In terms of wealth, they would not pick Cranford certainly; in terms of things to do, again not Cranford.

In this case, diversity is a plus because of the greater wealth of the locations,and in the case of at least Livingston , the greater number of town activities in the area.

In other words, diversity does not necesarily equate with poverty.

In the end though, if you like being so much with people like yourself, you might consider cloning yourself and then living with yourself - the ultimate in non-diversity. I'm sure you'd be going crazy after only a few months.

I judge people not by their race, but by their individuality. I look at diversity as differences in individual cultures and ideas, not necessarily as disparities in wealth.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:57 PM

183 posts, read 500,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandcookies View Post
Do a search on this forum. There are lots of threads comparing the two towns. They are both beautiful.

Good luck!!
No need for searching or for long-winded summaries...the related threads are right at the bottom of this page.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:10 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
its only natural for people to want to be surrounded with their own kind. most people are raised that way, whether their parents beat it into their brains or it was subconsciously learned. and that goes for ALL races and ethnicities. people feel comfortable when other can relate to their own culutures. nobody moves into a town or city "because" it is diverse. look at the neighborhoods in large cities, many segregated neighborhoods still exist. and anyways, this is friggin america 2009. diversity is everywhere. i dont even want to write anymore.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
It only doesn't make sense to you because, as i said, you have a demented view of what diversity is. You view it only in the negative (more crime and poverty), I view it as a potential positive.

Look at it this way: Alpine, Livingston, etc are all MUCH more diverse than Cranford. What do you think people would pick as the better place? In terms of wealth, they would not pick Cranford certainly; in terms of things to do, again not Cranford.

In this case, diversity is a plus because of the greater wealth of the locations,and in the case of at least Livingston , the greater number of town activities in the area.

In other words, diversity does not necesarily equate with poverty.

In the end though, if you like being so much with people like yourself, you might consider cloning yourself and then living with yourself - the ultimate in non-diversity. I'm sure you'd be going crazy after only a few months.

I judge people not by their race, but by their individuality. I look at diversity as differences in individual cultures and ideas, not necessarily as disparities in wealth.
you are just putting those words in my mouth, i never said that. you said some BS about how diversity leads to innovation. you cant back that up because it has no basis in any reality.

i find it interesting that you use Linvingston and Alpine as examples of diversity. their black % is 1.2% and 1.5% respectively. i guess that means you arent black. they do have 75-80% white populations which isnt the highest but i would be willing to bet you that the whites and non-whites tend to live closer to people of their own race. im not really sure what your basis for the claim that diversity has made the town so full of "locations" and "town activities." there are different factors that affect a town and im not sure why you credit race.

i dont believe your last line. i think you are very much interested in race and arent above judging people based on it.

btw, having 10-15% chinese population isnt a problem at all. you dont even see them. they kids are all at home working on math problems. my mom lives in holmdel and its a great place.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:30 PM

51 posts, read 225,435 times
Default Hey captain question for you

would you have a problem if a)black b)asian c)hispanic moved close by you?

If so by your retirement time (based on demographic projections/trends) you will have a really hard time to find a homogeneous neighborhood, well at least in the NE USA, there is always North Dakota ... ow wait there could native americans over there

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlnasc View Post
would you have a problem if a)black b)asian c)hispanic moved close by you?

If so by your retirement time (based on demographic projections/trends) you will have a really hard time to find a homogeneous neighborhood, well at least in the NE USA, there is always North Dakota ... ow wait there could native americans over there
i would prefer everyone to be exactly like me. however, if people not like me move in i could live with it as long as they arent troublemakers. i do have a black family across the street from me now, an asian family down the block, a russian family next door, etc. they dont really bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey