Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2009, 10:01 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times

Advertisements

[quote=nowitsshowtime;8823904]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post

Then let me re phrase that. I don't owe anyone anything. I don't have any ties to slavery, in fact Im first generation to be born here, my mom didn't come here until the 80s, and my dad was born overseas along with the rest of my family. I will give blacks is fairness and equal treatment, but don't bank on any handouts. I'll gladly show you where my mom grew up, in the shack, and because she didn't rely on anyone or think anyone OWED her anything, she made it very far, is educated, and established.
I'll remember that the next time I try to buy a house and nobody in the area wishes to sell to me.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,632 times
Quote:
I don't think so.
Well, you're wrong.

Quote:
They're white (or at least they are now), and they benefited, and are benefitting today, from that designation.
This is the crux of the culture-of-failure's delusion. You think a poor white kid born to a single mother and raised in poverty has all these "benefits" because of his skin color. That's your obsession. You weren't born into that, you haven't walked in those shoes, yet you profess to know the reason why such a child might actually grow up, work hard, and become successful.

It's an easy way of blaming everything and anything else for the embrassment of your own culture.

Bottom line is that money is what people benefit from in this country -- not skin color. A middle-class kid of any skin color has far more advantages than a poor kid of any skin color.

Quote:
Yes, and they do exactly what the "Buy Black" people are doing. You praise them but crucify African Americans who want to do the same thing. It is the height of hypocrisy.
Really? Are there organized groups of Asians out there being patted on the back for vowing to only purchase things from Asian-owned stores, and refusing to buy anything from a store owned by whites or black?

I'll criticize any such group. But this thread, (and frankly, all I ever hear about) is about another kooky idea like this concept of refusing to buy anything from any store that's not black-owned, and expecting to be lauded for it.

Quote:
In America the only ones with a lead were those who came from Europe.
Because you say so, right?

The people with a "lead" are the people -- of all races -- born into money in America. It's as simple as that.

But, we know certain well-off groups like to harp on the idea of their supposedly disadvantaged skin colors, because it gets their kids into better universities and more scholarship money, right?

Quote:
So tell me. What are my cultural problems? And after you explain these to me, tell me whom I am blaming for them?
Pick up a newspaper. I'm confident you can figure it out.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post

This is the crux of the culture-of-failure's delusion. You think a poor white kid born to a single mother and raised in poverty has all these "benefits" because of his skin color. That's your obsession. You weren't born into that, you haven't walked in those shoes, yet you profess to know the reason why such a child might actually grow up, work hard, and become successful.
I just profess to know American history. And I won't apologize for that.

Quote:
It's an easy way of blaming everything and anything else for the embrassment of your own culture.
Still waiting for you to explain this "embrassment"........

Quote:
Bottom line is that money is what people benefit from in this country -- not skin color. A middle-class kid of any skin color has far more advantages than a poor kid of any skin color.
An alleged white person such as yourself would definitely say that.......

Quote:
Really? Are there organized groups of Asians out there being patted on the back for vowing to only purchase things from Asian-owned stores, and refusing to buy anything from a store owned by whites or black?
Hmm. Do you know what is happening in our Chinatowns, or Koreatowns, or Indian neighborhoods, or are you just being ignorant because you haven't read it in your newspapers?

Quote:
Pick up a newspaper. I'm confident you can figure it o
ut.[/quote]

No. You're the damn expert. You tell me.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
The above is easily the most ignorant comment of the bunch on here.
This is another clear distortion of history. You have no idea as to what you are talking about. NONE.
Africa is the cradle of civilization, where we all came from. The generally accepted scientific understanding is that as humanity grew and tribes came into conflict with one another for resources, the weaker groups were pushed out to more marginal areas, and thus humanity started its trek across the globe.

The most successful groups stayed put and controlled the resources of their homeland, while the other groups packed up and hit the road.

You've got no idea of history if you think otherwise.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I just profess to know American history. And I won't apologize for that.
A (limited) American history is all you seem to want to talk about; not the American present or current reality.

Quote:
Still waiting for you to explain this "embrassment".........
I think it's pretty clear.

Quote:
An alleged white person such as yourself would definitely say that........
LOL

Yeah, just as an alleged black person like yourself will claim you've been discriminated against thereby attempting to justify reverse discrimination that you can work in your favor. It's transparent.

Quote:
Hmm. Do you know what is happening in our Chinatowns, or Koreatowns, or Indian neighborhoods, or are you just being ignorant because you haven't read it in your newspapers?
I'm not talking about people who live in an ethnic neighborhood merely shopping locally and thereby happening to purchase most of their stuff from people of their own race because most of the neighboring stores are owned by others in their race.

I'm talking about people actively and purposefully refusing to buy from stores owned by anyone outside their race, specifically for racial reasons. And expecting to be treated like they're doing a good thing.

Those are two completely different types of things.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Oh please.
Another cradle of civilization comment from someone who could care less.
That's cute but it has nothing to do with THIS country's history.

I agree that this is a great country- but it has some flaws. The distorted view of history that the masses hold is definitely one of them.

I still don't see how anyone can take offense to this when it's done all the time and no one notices or cares and its always been true. Now it's suddenly a huge problem for you?

The poor white child comparison is not worthy either. I have know quite a few as my father is married to a rural southerner.
They have done quite well as have many Blacks in that same region. But if you would bother to look closely - you will still see quite a marked difference. Even down there where it looks like the American Dream all over the place. What are the reasons for that? The schools are very integrated there so this is obviously more complex than is being presented on this thread. Those areas are full of hard working, God fearing types of both races but many would say whites do not hold any edge on hard work.

Take a trip to Siler City and you will see it more clearly.
It's like the cradle of America.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:20 AM

326 posts, read 429,844 times
I completely support buying black. The important thing is how black. If Obama had a brother who had a store, I wouldn't buy from him. He is only half-black and even that half is not African American. We should not be fooled by the appearance. Halle Berry, first black female to get the Academy Awards? Biggest lie from Hollywood. Her mom is white. Not good enough. Refuse to watch her movies. Be careful when buying black. Question how black the owner is. If it ain't black enough, don't buy it.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:26 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
I'll remember that the next time I try to buy a house and nobody in the area wishes to sell to me.
victim mentality always looking for handouts.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Yes seren77- I get it. I really do but again this is just an experiment and people from other backgrounds actually do this in practice a huge percentage of the time. And not just within a neighborhood as stated in the previous comment. Many "neighborhoods" are populated with stores owned by people who have never lived in them.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
victim mentality always looking for handouts.
idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: