Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM

312 posts, read 1,163,840 times

Advertisements

I am currently having a paver walkway installed on the side of my house and the contractor found 2 pipes emptying onto my property near the walkway that he believes is the drainage from my neighbor's gutters. There is currently standing water from these pipes and this will probably cause problems with my landscaping and walkway.
We moved in a few months ago and our property used to be the side yard of the house next door. They basically split their 1 acre in half and sold the property to my builder. My house faces the street to the west and my neighbor's house faces the street to the east. In the few months that we have been here we have not gotten a chance to introduce ourselves to the the owners of this house and we have never even seen each other as the fronts of our houses face opposite streets.
I know I am going to have to go over and to introduce myself and also to have to ask them to fix their drainage. Does anyone have any advice as to how i should approach this? I am assuming since these pipes drain onto my property they will have to fix this. Is that correct? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:43 PM

587 posts, read 2,178,111 times
seal it off when they are not looking lol. sorry i have nothing but devious suggestions

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM

312 posts, read 1,163,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mumra View Post
seal it off when they are not looking lol. sorry i have nothing but devious suggestions
haha, my contractor suggested the same thing.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:17 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,602,088 times
can you reroute the pipes to the street? You'll definately need to talk to them as that's just not right. They may not even know where their roof leaders drain to. Good luck : ))

Old 05-14-2009, 06:41 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artDDS View Post
...2 pipes emptying onto my property near the walkway that he believes is the drainage from my neighbor's gutters. There is currently standing water from these pipes and this will probably cause problems with my landscaping and walkway...
You need to be positive about what the pipes are. Introduce yourself to your neighbor and tell him/her you have something he/she needs to see and that you have a question about what these pipes are. Tell the neighbor what your contractor said and what needs to be done. It's possible your neighbor doesn't know about this. Hopefully, you neighbor's response will help you in the direction you need to go. You may want to check with your town's regulations and use that information to back you up.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:25 AM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,708 times
Being nice about it is what you should do at the start. There probably are town regulations preventing this, but ASK about it before you start filing stuff. Sometimes too much noisemaking can bring up other problems (like they forgot to do something for permits when building the second house on the split lot).

As for solutions to it, usually something like a gravel spillway would work and help reduce any future erosion in the area. The key is to give it a wide enough area that it has very little flow speed so it can't carry any soil away, and also big enough to allow the water to eventually dissipate to the surrounding soil.

If you have a high clay content to the soil, then you may have problems with even that, but just see what you can do with them before you start thinking about how you can handle it on your own...

Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,219 times
You could introduce them to the marvel of rain barrels.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:13 AM

326 posts, read 1,301,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
You need to be positive about what the pipes are. Introduce yourself to your neighbor and tell him/her you have something he/she needs to see and that you have a question about what these pipes are. Tell the neighbor what your contractor said and what needs to be done. It's possible your neighbor doesn't know about this. Hopefully, you neighbor's response will help you in the direction you need to go. You may want to check with your town's regulations and use that information to back you up.
I agree with Timneh...

Years ago one of my father's neighbor approached my father about the same thing. He had no idea about it so he agreed to get it fixed.

Hopefully your neighbor will respond the same why my father did.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:01 AM

4,286 posts, read 10,764,282 times
This is exactly why you should have gotten to know your neighbors already... you have lived there for several months and i wouldn't want the first thing i say to my neighbor to be to do work for you.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:24 AM

505 posts, read 1,762,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
This is exactly why you should have gotten to know your neighbors already... you have lived there for several months and i wouldn't want the first thing i say to my neighbor to be to do work for you.
While I tend to agree, and although this comment could cause a tangent, personally I would think the onus is on the people currently in the neighborhood to introduce themselves to the new people. In my opinion, its just simple manners to "welcome" them to the neighborhood.

However, if those people aren't making an effort, you need to make the trek over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey